monster hunter and models with a higher Soulstone Cost

tox77

Question

Hello, 

Monster hunters have ad ability they deals +1 damage to models  with a higher Soulstone Cost.  I know that models with 0 cost like masters or 0 cost henchmen have cost 13 minus cache  for scheme.  Does the same scheme work for monster hunter ability?

17 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, tox77 said:

Hello, 

Monster hunters have ad ability they deals +1 damage to models  with a higher Soulstone Cost.  I know that models with 0 cost like masters or 0 cost henchmen have cost 13 minus cache  for scheme.  Does the same scheme work for monster hunter ability?

No.

Note that Masters do not have a Soulstone cost (which is different than having a 0 SS cost).

Note also that when you say "for scheme" I have to assume you're referencing the GG2018 draft schemes.  Those rules are specific to those schemes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, icebreaker said:

So monster hunter doesn't deal +1 damage against masters? (that sounds stupidly, they deal +1 against modelst stronger than they are, but not against masters who definitely stronger)

Does it mean that I can't note enemy master for vendetta?

The ability in general is stupid. It is crazy good and I really feel like it should have been a bonus against models on larger bases. There is nothing monstrous about a 7ss minion....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosfr said:

Say that to the 6 SS Grootslang! :)

You do realize the irony in them not considering it a monster? :D 

Applying to a 50mm base size would have made sense in a lot of ways but would also meant them being completely unplayable because few crews even bring that. Beginning at 40mm might have worked, there are a lot of humanoids on 40mm bases but they are freakishly large.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I've just assumed there was a parallell to big game hunters since it triggers off ss cost. Dual pistols kind of breaks that... Could have been keyword based I guess: nightmares, nephilim and undead or something but I'm guessing all the outrage on Kang made them not really itching for introsucing more models with that kind of bonus.

I think if it was against Terrifying, or Terrifying(all) models that would be interesting.

• Like 1

So monster hunter doesn't deal +1 damage against masters? (that sounds stupidly, they deal +1 against modelst stronger than they are, but not against masters who definitely stronger)

14 minutes ago, solkan said:

Note also that when you say "for scheme" I have to assume you're referencing the GG2018 draft schemes.  Those rules are specific to those schemes.

Does it mean that I can't note enemy master for vendetta?

48 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

You do realize the irony in them not considering it a monster? :D 

Applying to a 50mm base size would have made sense in a lot of ways but would also meant them being completely unplayable because few crews even bring that. Beginning at 40mm might have worked, there are a lot of humanoids on 40mm bases but they are freakishly large.

Or then there's Sidir who's on a 40mm but is a completely average human otherwise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

Or an amalgamation of mankinds nightmares or a lanky guy with an octopus head on 30mm bases aren't monsters.

A monster doesn't have to be huge.

I've just assumed there was a parallell to big game hunters since it triggers off ss cost. Dual pistols kind of breaks that... Could have been keyword based I guess: nightmares, nephilim and undead or something but I'm guessing all the outrage on Kang made them not really itching for introsucing more models with that kind of bonus.

There's no right way to implement it. Base size leaves out smaller monsters and counts large based regular sized models (Sidir is a Monster but Coppelius isn't). SS cost leaves out large, cheap models but Counts regular people that are a bit expensive (a Beckoner is a Monster but the Grootslang isn't).

Theres going to be issues either way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -Loki- said:

There's no right way to implement it. Base size leaves out smaller monsters and counts large based regular sized models (Sidir is a Monster but Coppelius isn't). SS cost leaves out large, cheap models but Counts regular people that are a bit expensive (a Beckoner is a Monster but the Grootslang isn't).

Thematically I think my keyword idea would solve it neatly, it's just that it would be wordy and make them really situational.

18 hours ago, -Loki- said:

True, it would have issues either way, but I still think it would make sense a lot more often if it was against larger based models. Or maybe just models that cost 8/9ss or more.  

On 12/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, -Loki- said:

Ferdinand Vogel being a monster until he shapeshifts into the The Beast Within is my favorite Monster Hunter WTF.  

• Haha 2