Going to the winter murderland tournament in Jan. 5 rounds fixed master.

4thstringer

Help me pick a crew.   I wanted to take lucius but I've been proxying a ton recently with him (thralls, dade).   It's fixed master, I can do anyone but mccabe, but I don't own any of dougies hireable beasts or academics. 

I'm currently running conversions for emissary,  monster hunters and investigators.

I like nellie but don't own Burt. 

I like lj but dint have a dcm or jury

Dita and Sonnia are both doable.

So what do you think? 

The strats: 

Round 1: Public Executions, Chuch's Best Idea, aka Modified Close Deployment (9” up, not 12”)
Schemes: Guarded Treasure, Set Up, Hold Up Their Forces, Inescapable Trap, Take Prisoner

Round 2: Ply for Information, Standard Deployment
Schemes: Surround Them, Dig Their Graves, Vendetta, Take One for the Team, Show of Force

Round 3: Ours, Corner Deployment
Schemes: Eliminate the Leadership, Show of Force, Search the Ruins, Take Prisoner, Inescapable Trap

Round 4: Symbols of Authority, Standard Deployment
Schemes: Punish the Weak, Recover Evidence, Take Prisoner, Take One for the Team, Public Demonstration

Round 5: Supply Wagons, Flank Deployment
Schemes: Guarded Treasure, Covert Breakthrough, Set Up, Undercover Entourage, Inescapable Tr

It is a three man team tournament.  My teammates are bringing TT yan lo and Im guessing collodi.

Id say Nellie is your best bet. While I've been having a ton of fun with Sonnia recently and she could do most of those rounds no problem, I think Nellie will be way more adaptive to what your opponents bring along being able to complete most of those schemes just as well as any other master you could bring. I have yet to try Burt with her, but I dont think he's required. Phiona, Franc, and Hannah are my go to big beaters.

Pinewood Justice should put significant pressure on outcasts trying to do silly bury tricks so feels like a decent counter pick against them if you are ccomfortable with her playstyle.

I think Sonnia would be my preferred master if I knew Som'er or Collodi was showing up since she can threaten their enablers. 

The pool for ours looks really wonky. I wouls consider a sergeant with debt or someting to try doing both middle strats on the cheap. It will be vulnerable to counter plays so you will need a backup plan if try target him. Any killy master should be able to work with that pool.

Maybe Perdita with a good old family crew to try and leverage Nino for symbols. Francisco and her in the crew might trap them into trying public demonstration but you could probably keep a cool head and just shoot like crazy turn 2 until you've removed potential traps for him and Perdita. Her wp upgrade should let you resist lures.

34 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm realizing that part of my problem is I'm playing against yan lo a lot recently.   Playing against YL is really a different game than playing against most other masters.  Not harder,  but it definitely means I can't practice synergies as well,  because he screws those up really effectively. 

McMourning with nurses likes to face Yan Lo I believe, gotta love wp 5. :) 

25 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

My problem isn't beating YL, it is knowing whether my lists will be any good against other masters.  YL is a poor testing ground.

Yeah, I misunderdtood you a bit. Apparently he is the new Sandeep according to some podcast, check the TT gg18 thread. ;)

Synergies are always risky. There is a reason a lot of the top players just go with independently awesome picks and don't go heavily into complicated synergies.

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

Yeah but I wouldn't be me if I didn't get a little crazy. 

Agreed! :D If you want to keep your trademark I would do Sonnia with a thematic crew. At least Samael and a thalarian queller. Queller makes Sam ignore all reductions and then Sonnia lights stuff on fire for Sam to rapid fire into as a companion activation. It's a good mix of thematic, combo-jank and actually might work well.

I've got a Nellie list for Round One right now, as well as a Hoffman list that really is only built to do the strat (it is based on Gnomey's ryle lists).

The Nellie list is probably the better choice.  It has Nellie, PP, frank, dade w/ transparency (I'll have to figure out something if I stick with this on the proxy), domador (will have to do conversion), a dead doxy (can borrow), and two monster hunters.

The idea behind it is to give Dade el mayor, and then push people into engagement with her at the end of the turn.  The big problems are (1) she has no engagement range of her own).  Ill take both hold em and inescapable trap, and use all my pushes (doxy and nellie) to make sure that I get those points.   If I can get them to waste their hands, I can even paralyze them there.  I intend to play pretty far back, but that is a late game possible change.  My only big concern is that I won't be able to compete for those sweet murder points.  It will certainly be hard to get both, but I won't mind tying if I am controlling the rest myself.

Ok, so the Hoffman list is out, at least in this pool against ressers.  I forgot how much I don't like Hoffman into ressers in general, but especially when we reveal lists and its a three belle nico list.  

I lost 6-4, due to a well executed game plan from my opponent which put me on my backfoot.  I was so thrown off I made some pretty basic errors (forgetting (0) actions, bad activation order choices.  

On 12.12.2017 at 4:11 PM, 4thstringer said:

Ok, so the Hoffman list is out, at least in this pool against ressers.  I forgot how much I don't like Hoffman into ressers in general, but especially when we reveal lists and its a three belle nico list.  

Where art thou Sanctioned Spellcaster? ;)

12 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I hate the models, so I have always proxied them with a ramos model I got my hands on.  plus I still think they suck, despite that one really critical use.

I think the models aren`t spectacular but I think those triggers are pretty bonkers. And they are cheap Ca Actions.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 12:55 PM, Gnomezilla said:

*sigh* Not Lucy again... :unsure:

A month early and you read my mind.   I'm thinking this as a base

Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: lucius base list 50ss 
Leader: Lucius - Cache:(4)
   Deep Pockets 2ss 
The Scribe 2ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Monster Hunter 6ss 
Monster Hunter 6ss 

I'll then have 22 pts of flex to mess with game to game. 

• Haha 1