Picking the Doc

zurelol

Always been a Lurker in the forum but this time I have a doubt that my community can't answer to me. I got two masters' crews (lucius and perdita) and I want to begin McMourning while staying in guild. I got also 2 excecutioner, emissary, effigy, hounds, austringers and pathfinder/traps. Looking at the poison/melee sinergies, I see that emissary, effigy, Frank and Laywer could do. I don't have the new upgrade from Broken Promises yet.

A resser in my group told me to play him directly resser but I don't want to. Could you give me some advice? are the model that I have enough to play him nicely? 

Thank you in advance!

You can play a decent McMorning game with what you have. You are probably wanting to look at bringing in Nurses, and making use of their meds to boost the generally good guild models. So an engaged executioner that has +2 damage and precise from McMorning is very scary. I personally wouldn't focus on poison too much, but thats not to say it won't work. 

A good way to try and find out what he does is pick a list as if it was for another master, and then just put McMorning in leading it. See how it goes and where he differed from the normal leader. 

• Like 1

Sebastian, a nurse or two and the Chihuahua has been all the poison I've ever needed in guild. One of the new upgrades mostly gives him new hires which might not matter much if you don't already have those models. The other one gives a couple of nice (0) actions which could come in handy, you haven't got a friend to buy/borrow that from? I don't think you need to buy anything else than what you have but maybe they could allow you to proxy the flesh construct as a witchling thrall? Those guys are very fun when McMourning does his Push + place a marker on them, even more so if they have +2 ml damage from a nurse first.

I've found it pretty meh. The (0) to blast needs a friendly target without htw so you can get poison on several models near Sebastian. Most people don't bunch up so the (0) ends up almost never being used. The normal attack on it is sort of weak if they're not bunched up and can't get the nurse buff so ends up worse than probably any other beater you can think of. The bury trick can be cute in certain situations where you want to move a model you can't kill but you might as well run the general conflux if you take it. I find it hard to motivate the 10ss investment.

Never overlook the possibilities offered by combining Plastic Surgery and an Exorcist. Everything within 3" of McMourning is Undead, including things that wouldn't normally have a characteristic like spirits, so, if you have the cards, the Exorcist can kill them instantly.

1 hour ago, Freman said:

Never overlook the possibilities offered by combining Plastic Surgery and an Exorcist. Everything within 3" of McMourning is Undead, including things that wouldn't normally have a characteristic like spirits, so, if you have the cards, the Exorcist can kill them instantly.

So is the Exorcist, so it would take some very precise positioning to allow the exorcist still to get its execute trigger. :mellow:

Although if you ask me, turning off all the triggers is sometimes worth the price of admission alone. ;)

5 hours ago, Freman said:

also use this trick to hit something with the judge's cast attack. 8 damage on a severe is fantastic.

its a good aura to use alongside the new domidor giving your own models extra AP with his obeys, also lets you use an unexpected obey against anyone close to McMorning.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Freman said:

Except the exorcist only has a 1" on it's attack just like McMourning and might be turned undead itself and disable it's own kill trigger. It takes very precise positioning or a big based model so you can block LoS between McMourning and the exorcist. 

Damning Oratory? Sure, it'd be difficult to get it on a model McMourning is actually engaged with, but Skin Graft has a 3" range. Just have McMourning 3" from the model you want to kill, and put the Exorcist on the other side. "Pop!" Damning Oratory by itself, along with Skin Graft, could be an annoying way of shutting down models that rely on triggers.

You can buy a 2ss upgrade for any guild marshal to make them terrifying (undead) I believe. Too bad it's one of the worst upgrades in the game. ;) Lone Marshal also has terrifying undead.

There aren't any other synergies I think. Marshals are the anti-undead guys.

As for shutting down triggers it works if you can set it up but McMourning is very mobile and exorcists are slowish models with a primary ranged attack and not a single trick to stay alive. You are relying on the enemy not targeting your huge threat to their survivability because almost any beater in the game will kill them in two weak hits. If thry have a master that relies on triggers for survivability that was forthcoming enough to poaition themselves for you to set this up and then didn't kill you and they don't just walk away because none of your models are engaging it you can get value from that aura. If they let you do this to them you would have won the game with any list probably. :) I'd say there are a lot stronger choices at 7ss.

Just now, Ludvig said:

You can buy a 2ss upgrade for any guild marshal to make them terrifying (undead) I believe. Too bad it's one of the worst upgrades in the game. ;)

got to disagree with you there. if you have a few marshals in the crew the "makes them relentless" part of the upgrade can be more than a wee bit useful

5 minutes ago, im_open_to_suggestions said:

got to disagree with you there. if you have a few marshals in the crew the "makes them relentless" part of the upgrade can be more than a wee bit useful

How many death marshals do you typically play? If it had actually buffed guild marshals it would have been great because then it would affect LJ, recruiters, the judge etc. Since it only buffs specifically death marshals I'm not a fan.