Aionus: Where does he fit?

Mxbedlam

Aionus is one of our big cost models in the faction and offers some fairly unique abilities both in faction and in game. However his reverse incorporeal isn't much of a defense and his damage track isn't much to write home about. When do you pull him out of the bag? Have you used him and he's done work or have you used him and wished he was something like Hannah instead? 

I always have a hard time justifying any model that isn't Ashes and Dust over 10SS in my games and Aionus is no exception. There's the obvious counter bury play but that is honestly just a rare occasion. (Levi, Talos and Viks) Raptors used to be a thing, but they are seen less and less lately. So is he mainly  a counter pick to Levi and our new bury Viks?

You can use him if you bury their models as well, there are some really bothersome models that can't die that you can kill more easily while buried. Bete Noir is also really vulnerable to it, not sure how often she shows up.

No escaping that he feels situational, not everyone can be the best generalist.

Hes versy situational. And unfortunately in a niche that is hard to anticipate.

He feel like a model i pick with armour ignore. Its great if it comes up but pretty meh when not... while there is no way to know wether or not my opponent fields armour at all.

Hes kinda the same. hes bury-ignore but you  cant predict bury on faction declaration and if it doesnt come up... its pretty meh.

He's too much of a gamble for his price.

His support-abilities seem cool on paper but hes so expensive, thag i dont feel like getting enough models in my crew to make his supporting worthwhile.

I'd think i'd field him for 10 points. but his currebt pricing is tok high for what he offers.

He has an interestign package of support abilities, but you probably really want to build m to use them. Marker movement can be strong, or useless, fast for a card is pretty good, but you need to make sure the AP you gain is worth the card you lose. He has 3 AP which is good, and whilst it isn't as good as swift, it is at least set up to give you the action you are most likely to want at the time (baring a later turn rush to drop markers), but at least his (0) actions will allow you to drop 2 markers a turn. He can hit fairly hard, especially if you build to give out lots of slow, so a 3/4/6 damage spread isn't shabby

1 hour ago, Adran said:

He has an interestign package of support abilities, but you probably really want to build m to use them. Marker movement can be strong, or useless, fast for a card is pretty good, but you need to make sure the AP you gain is worth the card you lose. He has 3 AP which is good, and whilst it isn't as good as swift, it is at least set up to give you the action you are most likely to want at the time (baring a later turn rush to drop markers), but at least his (0) actions will allow you to drop 2 markers a turn. He can hit fairly hard, especially if you build to give out lots of slow, so a 3/4/6 damage spread isn't shabby

I find that on the later turns when Aionus gets casting expert I often spend the extra AP to give out slow to the target, and then get stuck in with the 3/4/6 (which is, as you say, not too shabby!)

I allways thin.. that aionus. thats 3 more wretches or 2 johanns.

Hes a coblle of alot of interesting abilities that can be absolutely great or completely useless.

And 12 Stones for a model that might be kinda useless is some high gamble.

yes, he can hit 3 times for maybe 3 min damage. but thats not worth 12 stones 2 me.

8 hours ago, Virtus said:

Does nobody like him to give out fast?

It's utterly hilarious with Desperate Mecenaries.

its kind of scary with Nix allowing Hounds Guild Hounds to be hired.  Fast charging companion scheme running for those useless 4s?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raimu said:

I like Aionus for scheme heavy pools for Tara - he can speed up wretches, move friendly markers, deny opponents schemes. But ofcourse there are better masters for such pools in outcasts who do not need Aionus at all.

These kind of pools are actually really good for Tara because of how much slow she can hand out. Scheming is very hard to do when you only have 1 AP. Problem is, Aionus being as expensive as he is hurts your potential for schemey models in the crew and the activation control you need in order to keep control of those games

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

These kind of pools are actually really good for Tara because of how much slow she can hand out. Scheming is very hard to do when you only have 1 AP. Problem is, Aionus being as expensive as he is hurts your potential for schemey models in the crew and the activation control you need in order to keep control of those games

I didn't say they are bad for Tara, I meant I would prefer top tier Outcasts masters like Viks and Hamelin over Tara in any pool competitive wise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, Raimu said:

I didn't say they are bad for Tara, I meant I would prefer top tier Outcasts masters like Viks and Hamelin over Tara in any pool competitive wise.

You haven't been playing Tara since the new Upgrades came out have you, I put her in the same level as the Viks