2018 monthly painting challenge

Franchute

Hello,

As @prof_bycid said in the other thread, I offered myself to run the 2018 monthly painting challenge. The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones now that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. To enroll simply let me know in this thread which category you want to belong to and I'll consider you:

• Minion (from 1 to 5 soulstones)
  • Enforcer (from 6 to 10 soulstones)
  • Henchman (from 11 to 15 soulstones)
  • Master  (from 16 to 30 soulstones)
  • Emissary (More than 30 soulstones)

I'll use the following spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

We can use this thread to discuss some specific rules. I propose the following (most of it is copied-pasted from @prof_bycid's threads):

• At the START of the month: post a photo of your unpainted minis and any plans for them you have.  In the MIDDLE of the month: post work in progress photos if you want, or just banter about ideas.  At the END of the month: post your finished models and the Soul Stone Cost painted, and I will get this on the tracking sheet.  Post this by the end of the month.  And include the total soul stones painted. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • NEW: We could start considering terrain this year. Painting terrain could be treated like zero cost models and count for 5 soulstones. What do you think about this?

I'll be editing this thread as comments will be coming.

Starting around January 1st, I'll open the first thread.

Very interesting, Franchute.  If we can figure out a way to include terrain for Malifaux, then I am going to join in again.  I expect to be painting each month at the minion level plus some terrain, so I will wait to see how the terrain SS rules work out, and then decide upon a level.

Thanks for taking this on!

• Like 3

@Franchute I think the scenery idea is a good one and could add not just another dimension to the entries but also be a welcome distraction from assemble, fill, paint. ,assemble fill, paint.........like you I think it should be stand alone scenery - a base no matter how intricate or imaginative is still just a base 😉

• Like 1

I would start with just 5 SS for being the first attempt to include it. 5 SS per base sound good. To make it relevant I would say that it should be at last double the size than a 50mm marker (difficult to measure but use criteria, walls for example could have less area in general, but who cares, it should count) or just do not include scatter terrain as their size could be negligible.

I think the final word should be arbitrarily on the organizer, so this option is not abused (just ask at the beginning of the month).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misterfinn said:

Please count me in at Enforcer level. I like the terrain idea - sometimes it's a nice break to work on something larger.

Is it OK to start with models that are primed or must they be unassembled? 

No problem. You can start with models that are primed.

Hello,

I've created a spreadsheet like the one @prof_bycid was using: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit#gid=0. Please let me know if you see any mistake.

I'm pretty bad with google documents. Do you know what I have to do to ensure the document is editable only by me?

Regarding the amount of soulstones terrain should count, I understand @H4ml3t and @Boomstick's concerns. On the other hand, I'm afraid we would see too much terrain in this thread if we give too much points for terrain. Dont you think this is likely to happen?

By the way, @Boomstick will you enroll?

Edit: I've just edited the link to the spreadsheet. It should be the following one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing
It should be ok by now.

@Franchute I very much like the idea of @Icarius that the scenery piece should be at least double the size of a 50mm base so 100mm x 100mm....and I like your idea that it should be 5SS....making and seeing other people's scenery will be a bonus...but for my mind at least it shouldn't be at the cost of the figures...end of the day it's a good idea and I'll be happy with whatever everyone decides

• Like 1

Let me give some specific examples of the terrain I have to paint. From Tabletop World, I need to paint the following supplies:

Supplies-420x521_zpsdjihlejk.jpg

The following water well :

Water-Well-420x521_zpsq6p1itqb.jpg

The following house:

Cottage-1-420x521_zps4s6svuuo.jpg

and this bridge:

StoneBridge-420x521_zpspp3lbxzv.jpg

Following @Icarius' criteria, the first two would not count, while the last two would. I have no issue with this criteria. Please let me know what you think so that we all agree on something.

• Like 1

@Franchute 😳...I see what you mean !....that bridge is huge !...and the house is a lot of work as well...I was in favour of 100mm x 100mm because I was imagining hand made...hadn't considered pre-built...I dare say others will have an opinion...end of the day I'm easy - if everyone is happy then I'm happy with that😉