Faction questions

Design Dragon

Which faction has the most durable models per soulstone?

Which faction has the models with the highest stats per soulstone?

Which faction has the models with the best actions or abilities per soulstone?

Which faction has the strongest masters?

Which faction has the strongest henchmen?

Which faction has the strongest minions?

Which faction is best for cheap models (army of common many)?

Which faction is best for expensive models (army of the elite few)?

Some of these questions might overlap, but I'm just trying to pin down what defines each faction other than pure lore.

There is pretty much overlap these days.

No faction has every model be more durable than those of others and depending on if you face models that ignore defensive abilities or have high min damage etc durability means different things. Ressers have the models with the highest wound stats for their cost but generally lowish defensive stats and also have squishy models. Flesh constructs or depleted have the most wounds for their cost but there are other durable models like waldgeists or night terrors if the opponent can't ignore their defensive abilities. 

Best master is also an odd question. All factions win tournaments. Do you want your masters to do much damage themselves, buff friendlies, debuff enemies, summon or somethig else since masters have such different jobs that question becomes impossible to answer without more info. Same for best actions and abilities, most actions and abilities are also found across multiple factions.

Every faction has some seriously strong henchmen, every faction has some seriously strong minions.

Nurses may have the most powerful control action in the game if you ask me. They are minions in ressers but can also be taken by certain masters in guild and neverborn.

• Like 1

For cheapest and most expensive, Gremlins are the cheapest in the sense that your average Gremlin crew is probably 1-2 models bigger than a similar crew from another faction. Having Bayou Gremlins as the cheapest non-totem significant minion in the game is a big deal, and the most expensive models in the faction are 10 stones rather than the usual 12 or 13. The most expensive is a bit harder. Multiple factions have 13 stone models, but I'd say Ten Thunders is probably one of the more expensive factions. They have some pretty powerful models, but staples tend to cost quite a bit - the Emissary and Sensei Yu are 10 and 9 stones respectively (Yu is 11 with an style upgrade which you should almost certainly take), and there aren't really any cheap spammable models like Bayou Gremlins or Guild Hounds. Not a hard and fast rule but that's generally my thought.

Ludvig got ya on most of the others though. I think saying "best" is one of the reasons it's difficult to answer. Bayou Gremlins, Illuminated, and Nurses are all really good minions for example, but they're all good for totally different reasons so it's difficult to say which is the "best". Same with Masters, although I would say that the top power level is fairly evenly spread. There's no specific official tier list but I imagine if you polled most people, the best masters would be from a variety of factions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ludvig said:

There is pretty much overlap these days.

No faction has every model be more durable than those of others and depending on if you face models that ignore defensive abilities or have high min damage etc durability means different things. Ressers have the models with the highest wound stats for their cost but generally lowish defensive stats and also have squishy models. Flesh constructs or depleted have the most wounds for their cost but there are other durable models like waldgeists or night terrors if the opponent can't ignore their defensive abilities. 

Best master is also an odd question. All factions win tournaments. Do you want your masters to do much damage themselves, buff friendlies, debuff enemies, summon or somethig else since masters have such different jobs that question becomes impossible to answer without more info. Same for best actions and abilities, most actions and abilities are also found across multiple factions.

Every faction has some seriously strong henchmen, every faction has some seriously strong minions.

Nurses may have the most powerful control action in the game if you ask me. They are minions in ressers but can also be taken by certain masters in guild and neverborn.

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

For cheapest and most expensive, Gremlins are the cheapest in the sense that your average Gremlin crew is probably 1-2 models bigger than a similar crew from another faction. Having Bayou Gremlins as the cheapest non-totem significant minion in the game is a big deal, and the most expensive models in the faction are 10 stones rather than the usual 12 or 13. The most expensive is a bit harder. Multiple factions have 13 stone models, but I'd say Ten Thunders is probably one of the more expensive factions. They have some pretty powerful models, but staples tend to cost quite a bit - the Emissary and Sensei Yu are 10 and 9 stones respectively (Yu is 11 with an style upgrade which you should almost certainly take), and there aren't really any cheap spammable models like Bayou Gremlins or Guild Hounds. Not a hard and fast rule but that's generally my thought.

Ludvig got ya on most of the others though. I think saying "best" is one of the reasons it's difficult to answer. Bayou Gremlins, Illuminated, and Nurses are all really good minions for example, but they're all good for totally different reasons so it's difficult to say which is the "best". Same with Masters, although I would say that the top power level is fairly evenly spread. There's no specific official tier list but I imagine if you polled most people, the best masters would be from a variety of factions.

Thanks! Updated my questions. Ressers do have a lot of high health models. Which faction has the highest defense stat and armor etc.? For the master thing, I was thinking some masters are weaker than others but their faction crew makes up for this. Is that not the case? For example, maybe the Gremlin masters would be pound for pound weaker than say a guild master, but they work well in very large crews to make up for that weakness.

@TheMechE Factions certainly have some general themes but questions like that won't necessarily give you a good insight in that. If you want to know what distinguishes factions, I'm sure people will fill you in on that. As a primarily Ten Thunders player for example...

Ten Thunders have somewhat weaker and less spectacular masters who make up for it by having a stellar hires, as shown by just about every TT master being on the lower end of the tier list in their other factions. They gravitate towards more elite crews and tend to compose their crew out of faction-wide staples moreso than master-bound combos or synergies. Their playstyle is distinguished by support and favours consistency over luck. This is mostly shown through ample positioning, nifty conditions, healing and a lot of :+fate flips, and tends to leave them with few and generally more straightforward triggers. If you go into a game with a good grasp of what your units should be able to handle they can generally do just that - no more, no less. 

And I'm sure people more familiar with other factions can give you a good insight into their respective fortes.

8 minutes ago, Tokapondora said:

@TheMechE Factions certainly have some general themes but questions like that won't necessarily give you a good insight in that. If you want to know what distinguishes factions, I'm sure people will fill you in on that. As a primarily Ten Thunders player for example...

Ten Thunders have somewhat weaker and less spectacular masters who make up for it by having a stellar hires, as shown by just about every TT master being on the lower end of the tier list in their other factions. They gravitate towards more elite crews and tend to compose their crew out of faction-wide staples moreso than master-bound combos or synergies. Their playstyle is distinguished by support and favours consistency over luck. This is mostly shown through ample positioning, nifty conditions, healing and a lot of :+fate flips, and tends to leave them with few and generally more straightforward triggers. If you go into a game with a good grasp of what your units should be able to handle they can generally do just that - no more, no less. 

And I'm sure people more familiar with other factions can give you a good insight into their respective fortes.

What do you think of the new Misaki upgrade that lets her place her blast markers 12" away and cheat minus damage flips? You might be able to wipe two or three models in one activation depending on how they clump.

9 minutes ago, The MechE said:

What do you think of the new Misaki upgrade that lets her place her blast markers 12" away and cheat minus flips?

Definitely an amazing upgrade but against the wrong crew or on the wrong board you're essentially left with old Misaki, which isn't something that you'd want. To cheat in flips she's still bound to having no soulstones whilst always finding herself in the thick of it, her damage tracks still start at 2 as a combat master, it makes her even more card intensive... This might just be my meta's habit of filling half the board with terrain but it's really not as devastating as I occasionally see mentioned here on the forums. Good, but a very time-and-place-y upgrade that will leave you with a normal Misaki if that time or place is off.

As for how that fits with that TT description, she's the odd one out in TT in that she's the one master that does absolutely nothing for her crew. Shen, McCabe and Asami buff and position, Yan and Brewmaster set enemies up, Lynch raises hand consistency and Mei protects her crew, but Misaki just does her own thing.

I'll givr it another shot. I may be missing models so this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Q: Which faction has the most durable models per soulstone?

A: Probably ressers or neverborn as I hinted at before. Neverbornhave some really sturdy models among thecheaper cvoices, their bigger models are less durable compared to those of other factions. Guild and arcanists canve really durable through armour (but certain models completely ignore armour so sometimes that's completely useless).

Q: Which faction has the models with the highest stats per soulstone?

A: I'm not sure if there are any real outliers here. Both neverborn and ressers have 3-5ss models with df 6. Higher than df 6 is extremely rare. The nothing beast and void wretches in Tara's theme start each turn at low df but get higher the less cards you have in hand. In guild iu have Francisco who can raise another friendly's df/wp by 2 so they can probably get higher than most others on a single model, some of their masters get to df 9 for example.

Q: Which faction has the models with the best actions or abilities per soulstone?

A: Have to say nurses at 5ss as I said before. ;)

Q: Which faction has the strongest masters?

A: No idea. Guild have some very killy masters that may feel like they get a lot done but a summoner can basically double your list over two turns which can be really strong. Sandeep in arcanists also seems like the perfect blend of summoning, extra ap to the crew and killyness.

Q: Which faction has the strongest henchmen?

A: impossible to answer according o me. Guild get a lot of damage from theirs but gremlins and arcanists have some ridiculously good henchmen. The nothing beast in Tara's crew (resser/outcasts) is insane, Henc Viktoria in outcasts is killier than most masters but you can only take her if you play Viktoria as your master so she is part of that master's concept. Neverborn have a couple of super strong henchmen, ressers have theirs. 

Q: Which faction has the strongest minions?

A: what do ou want fro your minions? I think there was an entire thread of people trying to rank minions a while back. They all have strong minions at varying point levels.

Q: Which faction is best for cheap models (army of common many)?

A: Gremlins do it well. Collodi in neverborn can do it really well. Outcasts have Hamelin who is the king of spam (rats, rats everywhere!)

Q: Which faction is best for expensive models (army of the elite few)?

A: I have personally experienced Thunders, Guild, Neverborn, Arcanists and Gremlins do it really well. Whatever faction I'm forgetting can probably also do it well. Guild and Thunders  tend to very rarely outnumber their opponents so are forced into this playstyle sometimes, I'd probably pick one of them to be the best at it. Guild Nellie has some very good tricks for helping an elite build and thunders have great support models that lend themselves well to an elite build.