GG2018 tournament with Hoffman?

Franchute

Hello,

Would you take Hoffman into the following 3 round tournament? Which list would you bring? You know your meta is dominated by Neverborn. You have access to all M&SU arcanist constructs but the rail golem. You dont have access to the peacekeeper and wardens, but you have 3 watchers and 2 guardians in your arsenal.

You're considering McMourning or Sonnia (and maybe Perdita)  as an alternative to Hoffman. You possess several arcanist beasts and academics for a possible McMourning list.

Round 1:
Strategy: Public Executions
Close Deployment
Schemes: Guarded Treasure, Covert Breakthrough, Dig Their Graves, Set Up, Take Prisoner

Round 2: 
Strategy: Ply for Information
Standard Deployment
Schemes: Surround Them, Dig Their Graves, Set Up, Hold Up Their Forces, Undercover Entourage

Round 3: 
Strategy: Ours
Corner Deployment
Schemes: Eliminate the Leadership, Search The Ruins, Take One For The Team, Take Prisoner, Public Demonstration

Ours is one of the more difficult strategies for Hoffman to do.  Not impossible, but definitely difficult.  I would also hesitate to take Hoffman into a pool with Hold Up Their Forces.  Hoffman crews tend to be bunched up so that would be a fairly easy 3 points for the enemy crew.  I don't think either of those things though are enough to say Hoffman would be a bad choice though.

Stompybots in close deployment makes me giddy. :lol:

If I knew I was facing a black blood list, I would take the trouble to slip some steam arachnid swarms in there and watch the nephilim pout.

The child is totem into an Eliminate pool, unless you want to try that cyborg-wastrel trick and/or NEED the null field on the mechanical attendant. Armor +2 vs. everything makes Titania sulky. Get that playing onto Hoffman himself however you can.

I can get full Take One points for a guardian which will only die when I want it to. There has to be a high enough value target it’s protecting, though—I can see a crew that attacks Wp just ignoring it.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 2:23 PM, trikk said:

Why? He doesn`t summon. Has sturdy models and a lot of mobility. He`s hard to put down so ETL is hard to score vs him.

Hoffman can easily hold two table quarters.  It's harder to contest that third quarter though because you don't spread out as much with Hoffman.  You certainly can, and with his new upgrade, Hoffman can place up to 6", so that helps.  Still, he wouldn't be my first pick for Ours.  Although I haven't played Ours much so that could be why I think that he isn't the greatest pick for the strategy.

@skoatz

Hoffman should probably barred straight down the middle with his big stompy guys and try to completely take out an enemy flank while something weedy holds his backfield and some decently self-reliant model contests a third quarter. If you manage to kill enough turn 2 you can take most of his entourage away to one of their stronger flanks and in Ours! a single big bot left behind can probably out-score whatever they have left after he went to town on their strong flank while he chugs on through the rest of their crew. You could leave a decent amount of models alive if a peacekeeper hangs around to take that quarter from them and kill the last stragglers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

@skoatz

Hoffman should probably barred straight down the middle with his big stompy guys and try to completely take out an enemy flank while something weedy holds his backfield and some decently self-reliant model contests a third quarter. If you manage to kill enough turn 2 you can take most of his entourage away to one of their stronger flanks and in Ours! a single big bot left behind can probably out-score whatever they have left after he went to town on their strong flank while he chugs on through the rest of their crew. You could leave a decent amount of models alive if a peacekeeper hangs around to take that quarter from them and kill the last stragglers.

That's a fair point.  I guess I should try Hoffman in Ours more.  It sounds like I've been underestimating him for this strategy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skoatz said:

That's a fair point.  I guess I should try Hoffman in Ours more.  It sounds like I've been underestimating him for this strategy.

You should! :) Ours is so radically different from the old quarter strats. I hope to have a lot of fun with it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stewbert said:

I've had Hoffman neutered a couple of games by Challenge Aura which pops up in neverborn with barbaros quite a bit. nothing worse than taking a WP duel just to Power Loop your own model.

Run the totem close to him and shut the aura down or take that aura shutdown upgrade on Joss or Queeg.

• Like 1

On Joss, not Queeg. There, Hoffman can O.S.A. copy it. So can the child, if you really wanted to make a point about aura synergy.

3 minutes ago, trikk said:

Also, dead Barbaros doesn`t have an aura ;)

Neutered Barbaros doesn’t have the guaranteed Frame for Murder points he thought he had, though.

What do you think about the following list for round 1 and 2?

50 SS Guild Crew
Hoffman + 3 Pool
 - Field Mechanic (2)
 - Improved Harness (1)
 - Arcanist Assets (1)
Mechanical Attendant (2)
Joss (10)
 - A Debt To The Guild (1)
Master Queeg (7)
 - Promises (1)
Howard Langston (12)
 - Numb To The World (1)
Watcher (4)
Watcher (4)
Watcher (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

35 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I could do set up and Covert Breakthrough, and then set up and Hold Up Their Forces. But I guess other options could be considered too.

No dig? Seems easier than setup since you'll be going full steam with your big beaters.