Masters Invitational - 27/28 Jan 2018

mythicFOX

The end of the 2017 UK Malifaux season is upon us!   Congratulations to the whole community on another awesome year, especially those who have run the events that make all this possible! :) 

Note;  separate threads will be opened for the public events that run along side the main event.  Tickets for these will do on sale at a pre-announced date and time.

Now it's time to invite players to the annual Masters Invitational. You can read the qualifying criteria here. 

EDIT; Masters is quorate!  Woop woop!

1. Jamie Varney (Returning Master)
  2. Matt Lewin   
  3. Lukas Rozanski   
  4. George Hollingdale   
  5. Conor McNama
  6. Tim Britton   
  7. Josh Leak   
  8. Ben Sime   
  9. Ollie Hedges   
  10. Tom Thorpe   
  11. Paul Butler
  12. Joe Jackson   
  13. Martin Jones   
  14. Mark Elwood   
  15. Joe Taylor
  16. Martin Wodehouse

Reserves;  AJ Barr, Ant Hoult, Scott Peden.

Pool draws will be done LIVE on Arcane Reservoir Wednesday 6th of December. then posted here. (Details further down in the thread).

Drop outs between now and the pool draw will be filled by reserves from the bottom of the list.  Drop outs after the draw will be filled by replacing the dropout with the reserve player. 

<EDIT>

Pools for day one;

Rams:

• Matt Lewin   
  • Josh Leak
  • Paul Butler
  • Martin Wodehouse

Tomes:

• George Hollingdale
  • Tom Thorpe  
  • Joe Jackson
  • Mark Elwood

Crows:

• Jamie Varney
  • Conor McNama
  • Ollie Hedges
  • Joe Taylor

Masks:

• Lukas Rozanski   
  • Tim Britton   
  • Ben Sime 
  • Martin Jones  

<Text below now redundant>

Important: Players have until December 7th 2017, or two days (whichever is the later) to respond to their invites. Players who do not respond in time will be treated as having declined their invite and their seat will be offered down to the next eligible player.  No new offers will be made after December 14th, after which time seats may be filled at the organisers discretion. 

EDIT: When responding please give me your name! Thanks :)

Offers should be responded to in this thread or by DM to me on here.  Please spread the word!

Masters Rules pack will be issued shortly.

Qualified Players;

• Jamie Varney (Returning Master)
  • Matt Lewin   
  • Lukas Rozanski   
  • Graham Bursnell
  • George Hollingdale   
  • Conor McNama
  • Tim Britton   
  • Josh Leak   
  • James Doxey
  • Ben Sime   
  • Paul Campbell
  • Ollie Hedges   
  • Tom Thorpe   
  • Paul Butler
  • Joe Jackson   
  • Martin Jones   

Offered Invites;

• Mark Elwood   
  • Joe Taylor
  • Martin Wodehouse

Next Reserves (reserves can preemptively accept/decline should they wish); 

• AJ Barr   
  • Ant Hoult   
  • Scott Peden   
  • Connor Truby   

• Like 2

As a reminder to those who don't know and as a cheap plug.

December 6th will be the live draw over at  https://www.twitch.tv/psientologist 

Previously this podcast was edited and stuck out later (which it still will be) but so there is no suggestions of anything I thought best to broadcast the draw to the world live.
Myself, @NoMoreMrNiceKai (Mr Rankings), @mythicFOX and @Clousseau (the TO's) will be hosting the draw.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MalifauxMartin said:

Just to check, i assume theres no painting requirements?

I hope there are! It is masters after all. I appreciate that not everyone has the time or motivation to paint, but if participants are invested in the game enough to hit masters I'd hope everyone could at the very least manage speed drybrushing a crew or finding a commission.

I was sick of playing against sprue grey, half painted and broken models last year... This is supposed to be the pinnicle of hobby after all

• Like 1

On 19/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, Hollingydale said:

I hope there are! It is masters after all. I appreciate that not everyone has the time or motivation to paint, but if participants are invested in the game enough to hit masters I'd hope everyone could at the very least manage speed drybrushing a crew or finding a commission.

I was sick of playing against sprue grey, half painted and broken models last year... This is supposed to be the pinnicle of hobby after all

💯 agreed 

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Hollingydale said:

Whilst I totally agree that playing painted crews is far preferable, the Masters is about winning I suppose. Also it was a general rule for all 3 competitions and its good to encourage new players by setting a low standard for painting.

On 19/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, Hollingydale said:

George you coped with those broken wind gamin for the first half of the year, stay strong through the two days after in January 😘

3 hours ago, Clousseau said:

Whilst I totally agree that playing painted crews is far preferable, the Masters is about winning I suppose. Also it was a general rule for all 3 competitions and its good to encourage new players by setting a low standard for painting.

I agree that a low standard for other events is appropriate, particularly if we want to grow the scene! 

I am just disappointed that the highlight of the competitive Malifaux calendar, which hosts plenty of experienced players all of whom have been in the game for way over a year, does not have a painting requirement. I disagree that Masters is all about winning - it should be a show of the best the game has to offer and be something for hobbyists to aspire to.

Malifaux is a hobby and not just a game, after all.