Giving the Grootslang somewhere to hide.

WWHSD

I've really enjoyed the Grootslang in the games where I've brought one. I'll probably be picking up a second one when they hit the shelves. I find that I play very conservatively with them and almost never move them away from the lair markers because I don't want to give up their plus flips. I figure that if I bring another model that can lay down terrain markers then I could afford to me a bit more aggressive with the Grootslang. I'm flipping through models that Marcus can include in his crew and came up with the following options:

Carlos Vasquez - Pyre Marker (Ht 5 Blocking, Hazardous).
Needs a 6+ and has restrictions on placing within an inch of other markers or models. It goes away at the end of the turn. It's a zero action but it competes with another good zero action. Carlos is able to move the Pyre marker. Carlos can position the marker to get the Grootslang a push while leaving it in contact with the marker (Grootslang would need to pass a TN13 Wk duel).

Kudra - Illusionary Forest (Ht 4, Dense, Severe, Soft Cover).  
Needs a 7+ and has no restrictions on placement. It's a zero action on a model that doesn't have another zero action (her upgrade gives her another one, but it's not likely to get used much in a Marcus crew). This marker stays down until the action is taken again (it remains in play even if Kudra leaves play). Kudra and the Grootslang can both apply the poison condition which has some synergy with Marcus's Venomancy upgrade.

The Captain - Windwall (Ht 5 Severe, Soft Cover).
Needs a 4+ and has restrictions on placing within an inch of other markers or models. It lasts until the Captain's next activation.  It uses a 1AP action. 

Waldegeist - Tree (Ht 5 Severe, Soft Cover).
Needs a 7+ and can not overlap models or other markers. The marker lasts until the Waldgeist moves, leaves play or takes the action again. The Waldegeist is a beast so has some synergy with a Marcus crew.

McTavish - Has an ability that seems like it drops a terrain marker but I don't think that it actually is.

Ice Dancer - Ice Path (Ht 0, severe)
Needs a 9+ and may not be placed into base contact with any models or other markers. The marker lasts until the Ice Dancer's next action or when it leaves play. It is a 1AP action. Any model that completes an action while in base contact with the the marker may be pushed 3 inches by the opposing player. This may make it difficult to use effectively with the Grootslang.

Silent One - Ice Pillar (Ht5, Blocking, Impassable)
Needs a 4:crow+ to reach the TN and needs to deal damage on the attack. The marker is placed in base to base contact with the target. It is a 1AP action and the marker lasts until the end of the turn. Since this is Blocking, the Grootslang may not overlap it but may be touching the marker and may cause issues with movement and LoS. 

Are there any that I've missed?

Looking at the list, it seems like Kudra may be the best choice if you are primarily concerned about providing terrain markers for the Grootslang. It's the only marker that can be dropped on top of other models or markers. Unless you want the marker in a different spot it requires no additional action from her and when she does need to place one it isn't competing against an action that she might also want to take.

8 minutes ago, dancater said:

Outside of this Kudra is also a cheap and fast Henchmen.  She struggles against the other Arcanist henchmen usually but this may be an interesting niche for her.

That's what I was thinking after putting this list together. The more Grootslang in your crew the easier that 7 points will be to justify. Kudra can probably get a lot of mileage out of Butterfly Jump in a crew filled with 50mm base models.

It's a shame that there isn't a good support upgrade to put on her.

14 minutes ago, BFOmega said:

The Ice Dancers have Ice Paths, but the opponent pushing them 3in when ending in contact with them probably makes that not so useful, and needs a 9 and an ap. Silent One's can place an Ice Piller on a trigger from their attack as well.

I'll add those two the list.

It would take some tricky positioning for the Ice Path to do much for you. The Silent One could shoot the Grootslang to drop an Ice Pillar touching it if you were really desperate for the :+fate flips.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

I'd never thought to take one of these with Rasputina, but this makes a weird kind of sense.  Also, does the Stash marker in Guard the Stash count as a terrain marker?

Grootslang is a Neverborn Beast so Marcus is the only Arcanist master that can hire one.

I’m not sure if Stash markers count as terrain. They have terrain attributes but the strategy doesn’t use the term terrain like abilities that drop terrain markers seem to. I suppose they’d have to count as terrain, otherwise models with Flight and Incorporeal wouldn’t be able to move through them. 

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I’m not sure if Stash markers count as terrain. They have terrain attributes but the strategy doesn’t use the term terrain like abilities that drop terrain markers seem to. I suppose they’d have to count as terrain, otherwise models with Flight and Incorporeal wouldn’t be able to move through them. 

FAQ 

70. Do models with Flying and Incorporeal treat Markers with terrain traits as if they were actual terrain?
Yes, as do all other models.