Advice for the guild side of the starter set

OldschoolgameroO

He guys, 

I am sure you heard it before but long time wargamer new to Malifaux.  

Building from the starter set and have the Neverborn side locked down fairly easily on expanding to 50ss, but struggling on the guild side.

A lot of what I read is people saying to get Lucious since he works with both sides.  I am not necessarily looking for that, I’m looking for synergy with the models in there.  

Neverborn seems pretty cut and dry with the Mother of Monsters set plus with a couple of add ons for variety.

With Dr. G and the Nurse being witch hunters, I was thinking the Torch and the Blade crew but not sure.

What is your guys thoughts?

22 minutes ago, OldschoolgameroO said:

What is your guys thoughts?

just finished the Sonnias guide part 1 here: 

Check ths stuff)
Personaly I dislike Grimwell as far as we have SO much better henchmen for less ss.
I think Hearthbane is fine and orderlies are pretty good too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FinalForm said:

Personaly I dislike Grimwell as far as we have SO much better henchmen for less ss.
I think Hearthbane is fine and orderlies are pretty good too.

Yeah was looking at that guide, a little lost on it yet as I don’t have a feel for everything yet, but will give me something to reference as I get my feet wet.

So maybe that set with Nurse Heartsbane, an orderly, and 5ss for upgrades then to get me running, then use your guide to expand.

My reasoning is: 1) I know how I am, I’ll get bored playing just one faction so want 2 solid crews I can alternate with.  2) try to lure a few other friends I have playing by having 2 full crews to start out with, but not having 1 that’s really overpowered then the other. 3) lots of stuff to paint as I’m really into the hobby side of things as well.

Right now the Neverborn side looks like this:
Crew Name:  50ss 
Leader: Lilith 
   Summon The Blood 
   Wicked Mistress  
   On Wings of Darkness 
Cherub  
Barbaros  
   Obsidian Talons 
   Nephilim Gladiatus 
Scion of Black Blood 
Terror Tot 
Terror Tot 
Bloodwretch 
Bloodwretch 
Terror Tot 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OldschoolgameroO said:

So maybe that set with Nurse Heartsbane, an orderly, and 5ss for upgrades then to get me running, then use your guide to expand.

My reasoning is: 1) I know how I am, I’ll get bored playing just one faction so want 2 solid crews I can alternate with.  2) try to lure a few other friends I have playing by having 2 full crews to start out with, but not having 1 that’s really overpowered then the other. 3) lots of stuff to paint as I’m really into the hobby side of things as well.

Sounds 100% legal. I did literaly the same stuff when I was starting our local community)

• Thanks 1

Most of my grimwell lists are gimmicks,  But then most of my lists in general are. 

I've seen grimwell talked about with nellie,  using him to farm ss off scheme runners.   I've used him for first turn squat markers and to first turn buffed lobotomy a dawn serpent.  I might have to do the lobotomy one again, as it delivers the kind of alpha strike I love. 

• Thanks 1

A fast Grimwell in a Nellie list is no joke. Also not bad with McMourning as he can get precise and a nurse can put his opponent on negative twists and he can lobotomize effectively.  Plus, Nellie using him to finish off models is a fun way to get more SS.

Orderlies aren’t as bad as everyone seems to think, they just aren’t quite as good as watchers and field reporters so they get overlooked.   

I’ve had a lot of success with heartsbane. Yes, she is card intensive, but she’s usually so far down the opponents kill list that she gets away with hunting down scheme runners and tying up flanks. Plus, she can shock Lady J or McMourning forward 6” with any crow. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ozymandias79 said:

A fast Grimwell in a Nellie list is no joke. Also not bad with McMourning as he can get precise and a nurse can put his opponent on negative twists and he can lobotomize effectively.  Plus, Nellie using him to finish off models is a fun way to get more SS.

Yeah I originally was looking at McMorning just for the aesthetic theme.  Just wasn’t sure how well he work with him.  That and it’ll start me down the road of a third faction already 🤪

I’ll have to look at Nellie, I was just thinking of the witch hunter tag might be easier to synergies with for a starting malifaux player.  Though hopefully my 2+decades in wargames will lessen the curve down greatly.

Nellie is currently making my head hurt with all her possibilities, but even when I’m not playing her at her best, she is getting work done. She demands ALL my attention, though. One interruption and all the balls I’m juggling (does Nellie have evidence? does she need it so I should activate one of my own and trade its AP for her condition? will she burn it on her activation, or hold onto it? now that an enemy has attacked and failed, should I spend evidence and push it, to where? how much do I need to hoard for end of turn and exchanging it for goodies? did I even TAKE the ‘exchange evidence for goodies’ upgrade this game?) fall down. No wonder that better players skip most of that, don’t buy that upgrade, and burn all her evidence on her own activation. It sounds easier. But being able to push models on their activation not yours is amazing.

Keyword synergy is easier. Journalists have only one, on a journalist upgrade, so they can drop a scheme marker along with an attack. Witch hunters have two, one on a witch hunter upgrade, to give negatives to enemy casting standing near any witch hunter. (The other can only be carried by Sonnia, so.) I find the witch hunter one a little bit harder to remember since it involves enemies and I have to ask ‘was that a casting action? flip another card, and use the worse one, and you can’t cheat it’ frequently. But it’s unbelievably useful against a Ca enemy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Nellie is currently making my head hurt with all her possibilities, but even when I’m not playing her at her best, she is getting work done. She demands ALL my attention, though. One interruption and all the balls I’m juggling (does Nellie have evidence? does she need it so I should activate one of my own and trade its AP for her condition? will she burn it on her activation, or hold onto it? now that an enemy has attacked and failed, should I spend evidence and push it, to where? how much do I need to hoard for end of turn and exchanging it for goodies? did I even TAKE the ‘exchange evidence for goodies’ upgrade this game?) fall down. No wonder that better players skip most of that, don’t buy that upgrade, and burn all her evidence on her own activation. It sounds easier. But being able to push models on their activation not yours is amazing.

Have you tried the thalarian stone build yet?  Or including traps so when your opponent misses attacks (or you mis disengagement strikes) you can tie em up?

6 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Have you tried the thalarian stone build yet?  Or including traps so when your opponent misses attacks (or you mis disengagement strikes) you can tie em up?

No. In fact I just found the supplies for making my own traps, under another pile, when packing up to move a few days ago. I was running Guild Funds and a watcher to give me lots of evidence to learn with. Remember slamming a construct repeatedly into a tree for the long damage and the interruption of the attacks, and using Hot Off the Presses attack more than expected.

• Like 1