Seamus vs Reva

MrBabash

Heyo guys!
So, days ago I asked for help, I couldn't choose between Guild and Ressers.
Now, I'm sure I'm going to play Ressers but I'd like to know your opinion about the master. 
I'm having troubles choosing between Seamus and Reva. I like the first one because atm I play Perdita, and I enjoy doing big dmg shooting. Also, he comes with 3 rotten belles, so I will enjoy them for sure with most of the other masters. I really like his teleporting and blasting faces once per turn while the rest of the crew do their duties. Then, I like Reva because of her beating from distance through her corpse markers, and for the fact I guess she is a beatstick. I don't enjoy the fact that her box doesn't give that much for other masters. I mean, shieldbearers aren't that played in other crews as I saw. I enjoy her look as well.

So, tell me everything you think could be usefull!
Edit: I'm still new to the game, just tryin' to learn with Perdita.

A general consensus is that Reva is stronger than Seamus, and Seamus is not even close to the shooting power of Perdita, especially if you are forced to choose suboptimal target (by optimal target of Seamus' flintlock I understand low df non-soulstone user not in hard cover). I would pick him over Reva only in Extraction game (his Do you know who I am? upgrade works pretty well with that strategy) or if the table has A LOT of LoS blocking terrain. Can't you just buy both? ;) You want to use Belle with Reva, you might want to use Vincent with Seamus (Vincent can help him deal with armoured enemies) and Shieldbearers are sturdy minions that can provide Seamus with a corpse (for summoning/corpse bloat) before they actually die, so I don't think they're bad with him (albeit they have no Wp resisted attack). But yeah, Reva definitely needs Seamus' box more than he needs hers.

• Like 2

Reva does everything relevant to winning games better than Seamus does. As an FYI Seamus is my favorite master, but he's mostly just a fun master even with the upgrades he got in the last book. He just can't compete on the same level as the current upper tier mastrs. If you are looking for effectiveness play Reva.

Seamus has more character by far. If narrative is more important play Seamus since Reva has only one, fairly bland and cliched story, though she does have a lot of promise behind her concept so that might change, but at the moment she isn't even close.

• Like 2

Well, to be honest here there isnt a competitive scene, we havnt any miniature shop and we're just 3/4 friends trying to learn Malifaux. But if Seamus lacks something, it is obvious even in friendly games so it could be not that fun. What scares me is that Reva seems a bit hard to play for a new player, but maybe Im wrong and I just need few games to learn how she works. Also, do I need to buy something specific to play her? I'll just have her box and some corpse markers, of course We Are not still playing at 50SS so im not talking about how to enlarge her Crew.

ps: having no ressers models, would be Nicodem a suicide to play with nothing to summon (I should proxy all The summons)?

I find Reva pretty easy to play. However there is a big caveat. She can often feel VERY overwhelming for a new player to play against. Her durability is basically based on killing whatever threatens her and staying back from everything else. If they play too conservatively or are too scared by her dmg output to get close to her then she can steamroll.

She is pretty squishy for a master, you just have to get to her and keep pressure on her. So be aware of that if you are all learning to play together.

Heya, I'm very new too, so do bear that in mind. I'm also in a similar boat (3-4 friends to play with, non competitive scene). I've had a blast playing Seamus, being able to teleport about and shoot stuff is great fun, and easy to learn/get into. The belles, SYbelle and Copy cat are all also quite fun to use, and tend to synagise really well.

I've honestly not played or looked too much into Reva so couldnt help you with a comparision, but I'd deffo put in a good word for Seamus being fun and a useful crew box!

Thank you! Well, I'm still so confused.
Seamus got: + Fun to play , + Rotten Belles , + Nice lore
                   - not competitive

Reva got: + Hits hard , + Fun to play , + Overall strong
               - Her box isn't that played with other masters

I like both of them aesthetically, so "choose the one you like most" doesn't work. And I can't even afford to buy them both...

I would say that her box can be played outside of her.  Shieldbearers are very strong in a number of situations.  They can hit decently fine, they're very tough, they drop a corpse the first time they die which a lot of masters can use, and the soulbound upgrades have a lot of play in a variety of scheme pools.  So, yea I think Reva is definitely the better first pick. Granted, I am super biased as she's my favorite master, but I think she's good fun.  The only thing is, like stated, she can steamroll if she's left to her devices, so if you want to keep your friends, maybe not the best choice :P

Basically you need a ton of corpse markers and scheme markers for her base box.  After that, when you start adding models you'll need 50 MM for the Carrion Emissary and Asura Rotten. But base box you'll just the basics.  I will say a 3" widget will come in handy for measuring accurately her range from corpses.  I'd also say getting a LoS laser line at some point is a must for checking LoS to corpse markers.

I'm a fairly new player as well, getting into the game in a similar environment.

Something to keep in mind is that when people say; this is not as good as this, there's just no reason to pick this over this, this is over/under powered, etc. You're mates are going to be in the same situation so it's not so much of an issue. The people I've been recruiting so far have mostly one crew box and one or two extra boxes and the game is still fun! Sure it'll be the same list every time but hey, it forces you to adapt and look at what you are lacking. Then you can use information in this forum and on Pull My Finger to figure out how to plug that gap.

Which is probably a better approach than do what I did and buy a metric crap ton of stuff for two factions, thinking I need them to do demo games. :huh:

• Like 3

22 hours ago, aquenaton said:

If one of the other players have Rasputina, I will recommend Reva as a way to teach them how to hit from far away! If not, Seamus is a fun, forgiving master that lets you learn the game and gives you some of the most used models in the faction.

Yes, I am team Seamus because I do not have Reva yet, but I really like the mad hatter despite not being the most powerful master around.

On the Nicodem subject, I tried him once as a support master with no summoning and he seemed cool. May suffer when the schemes require to spread out, but can be played as a supporter and crew fixer without a very huge investment. Next tourney I am planning to use him in an undead poison crew to see how he can deal with it.

Yeah, one of them is going to buy rasputina :D 

by the way Seamus looks fun as hell to me, I'll buy for sure his box.. Maybe I'll do Reva -> McMourning -> Seamus -> Nicodem, with The emissary for sure :D but first I need to create a lil' group of players

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, MrBabash said:

Yeah, one of them is going to buy rasputina :D 

by the way Seamus looks fun as hell to me, I'll buy for sure his box.. Maybe I'll do Reva -> McMourning -> Seamus -> Nicodem, with The emissary for sure :D but first I need to create a lil' group of players

This is exactly how i started, except at that time, there were no Reva&Emissary :)) With Nico you will need a box of Mindless Zombies, btw, i picked at that point Transmortis too, he just needs that investment (especially MZ)...

Seamus seems like he's probably one of the cheapest Resser masters to get into and he's a box that most resser players will eventually pick up (for Sybelle and the Belles).  

He may not be as competitive Reva but I wouldn't think that he'll seem weak in a group of newer players. Hopping around with Back Alley and shooting things with his ridiculously powerful gun seems like a lot of fun. Seamus seems like he'd be good for a newer player because he's reasonably durable, he can hit hard, he's maneuverable, and with one of his book 5 upgrades, he's good at schemes that need markers placed. I don't play Ressers but I play against a player that frequently use Seamus and he makes for fun games. 

"There's no problem that can't be solved if you throw enough dead hookers at it". 
                                                                                                           -Seamus (probably)

• Like 3

I'd go for Reva any time.

Seamus is really cool, I love his fluff and all, and his tricks are neat (I haven't tried the new upgrades much yet, though), but Reva just kills stuff. 

As for Reva being harder to learn, I don't think that's the case. Just keep in mind that she has a charge threat range of 13 inch that you will never, ever want to use because Reva stays as far back as the mission allows. 18 inches is a lot. 

And I suggest if you get Reva, get the Bete Noire, too. Because that means with her Guises of Death upgrade, you'll be in your opponent's face on turn 1, and when he kills Bete (which he will), you just need that 10 in hand so she goes back to being buried. This also makes it easier to keep the enemy away from Reva and too occupied to do mission objectives.