Next book - no new models? A what if question

Rob Lo

So my group was talking about the general state of the game, such as the bloat issue that creeps up every once in a while these days, old models that used to be good but basically gather dust, models that are too good, too useful, making other models in the faction that would be decent but are completely overshadowed because this one model exists. 

We all know model companies like Wyrd only make money putting out models. New models, shiny models, models we must have. But, assuming they're not going to a 2.5 or a 3.0 version, what if Wyrd put the brakes on for a bit and didn't put out the usual glut of new stuff next year.  Now, we know this isn't going to happen, ignore that for now, this is more of a curiosity, but the question is:

How likely would you be to spend an equivalent amount to your past years' spending if the next book took the ~10 faction breaking/least used/most useless models and perhaps upgrades from each faction and rewrote their cards, and put out new boxes with flashy new alternate sculpts and the new cards? Basically take model X that never sees play, change it up, give it maybe a couple new abilities, tweak the parts that are good in theory but the numbers are off, throw out the stupid parts, add in new stuff to give it a unique use on the table. What if there was only one or maybe 2 new models and the rest were revisits of older stuff? Yes, some might be nerfs to overly good models, with the intent to have better internal faction balance and better health of the game and more model variance showing up on the table? Would you buy those alternate sculpt boxes, assuming they're Wyrd's standard great quality? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Lo said:

How likely would you be to spend an equivalent amount to your past years' spending if the next book took the ~10 faction breaking/least used/most useless models and perhaps upgrades from each faction and rewrote their cards, and put out new boxes with flashy new alternate sculpts and the new cards? 

Not at all likely. I'd probably buy the book and then either order cards or just print out the ones I need. With the app out, i suspect a lot of people won't even do that since they'd get all the updated stats for free.

• Like 1

I like alts...they are visually something different on the table and i'd certainly consider them. I'd be more inclined to go for an alt master box set. If Wyrd did one of each master, alt sculpt, and put all 8 in a box for $x i'd certainly be all over that. Some models are okay, some models not so but i think the game is largely balanced already IMHO. If you want an exact even game, play flipping coins. 

Bit of a bad example as I'm still very new... but I'd love it... means I could catch up to where we are with my chosen faction. If I had a lot more stuff... I'd still be spending pretty close to the same amount... as I'd start a new faction. 

I know it won't happen but honestly I'd love it if it did.

• Like 1

Hmm....my initial reaction was "ooh - alternate sculpts - yes !"....but then I realised how addicted I have become to looking at future releases and the enjoyment that comes from that participation so was like " what ? fewer models ? No-o-o-o !! "....and then I reminded myself that when TOS finally comes to light I am signed up for entire ARMIES worth of fantastic looking models.....

So....I figure TOS I am gonna play straight out the box as it's pre-assembled and then paint units up in blocks over time...but Malifaux ?...it's too late to turn back - am addicted to new models and already realise that even with a slow down in releases I won't ever catch up...Wyrd have got a great vibe going so I'd ultimately be cool with whatever they decide to do 

3 hours ago, retnab said:

Hypothetically, TOS coming out means this sort of thing is a possibility. Releasing less models per year per game would definitely slow down the model #'s.

TOS could provide them an opening to moderate the Malifaux release schedule if they so desired, but bear in mind the KS backers aren't expected to get theirs until March or so. We've been gently prodded in the past about not making too many assumptions about their business plans, but if I were in their shoes, I'd want to be looking at sales for at least a couple months post retailer-release before making any decisions to roll back Malifaux releases to strike a balance between the two. I could see an argument that it doesn't matter much to newbies and that old guard might like shiny stuff but also like getting to practice with what they have more often.

Personally I'm fine either way, but it will help my wallet a bit to worry about less Malifaux releases when there's TOS stuff coming down the pipe...

I'm inclined to believe they probably wont do as you say although I think that'd be fun. The other problem is Where is the balancing coming from? Top down like the tournament scene? With any tabletop game, the "less played" models are really only seen at tournament level, and I suppose that would be fine. But I know myself and others who love to play less optimized models that end up working out rather well. Once you have a whole faction roughly, you're going to play what you have unless you're like a weird ultra competitive person and have no casual friends. My gf will almost always play with two nurses in her resser crew, just cuz she loves the paint job (sailor scouts) and she's made it a living hell to play against her. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rob Lo said:

How likely would you be to spend an equivalent amount to your past years' spending if the next book took the ~10 faction breaking/least used/most useless models and perhaps upgrades from each faction and rewrote their cards, and put out new boxes with flashy new alternate sculpts and the new cards? Basically take model X that never sees play, change it up, give it maybe a couple new abilities, tweak the parts that are good in theory but the numbers are off, throw out the stupid parts, add in new stuff to give it a unique use on the table. What if there was only one or maybe 2 new models and the rest were revisits of older stuff? Yes, some might be nerfs to overly good models, with the intent to have better internal faction balance and better health of the game and more model variance showing up on the table? Would you buy those alternate sculpt boxes, assuming they're Wyrd's standard great quality? 

How is this different from them producing 10 new models? 

lets take the Ice Golem as an example. what is the real difference between you making a new Ice Golem with different rules if you're releasing it in a box with a new sculpt, and you creating an Ice Monster which is on the same size base?  There is the slightly smaller market because a few people will use their already existing Ice Golem in tournements which they couldn't do as easily if it was an Ice Monster ( There are several people out there who would probably just convert their golem to a monster).

I don't think I'd mind it, but generally happy to see buffs to or rewrites of models that need attention rather than nerfs. 

From a business perspective, it wouldn't be an expensive exercise as the sculpting and tooling costs from other waves would be gone.

The book could easily be padded out with some new faction upgrades for enforcers and henchmen similar to the current waves and new strats and schemes.

I think I know what you mean with revitalising these “unused/broken/useless” models. It’s a good idea in theory, but it’s surely classed as balancing and errata?

Yes, make a cool new model, then that and the old are now considered desireable, driving sales of old and new (if the problem wasn’t the old one was damn fugly, which is very few and personal opinion).

It’s the cost and sales of the new alt models to consider. They’d need to be profitable, or it’s throwing money away for the sake of “art” shall we say of the revitalising. Shiny new awesome old models!

Not sure it’d make great reading in a book without some other major content to be the focus though...