Pine Box

Thulis

I was running a demo over the weekend between Justice and Seamus, my two favorite crews to demo with. Justice as normal murdered and Seamus attempted to being corpses back that the Marshal's killed. However there was a tipping point at turn 3. The Justice player began to just pine box the beater models and ended up using it successfully 4 times. The Seamus player was not too happy but was friends with the other guy so it was a fun game with plenty of smack talk.That brought me to the question, what's the most amount of times anyone has gotten pine box off in a game? Also, did pine box win you the game because of the efficiency of removing a model with 1ap even if just for the turn?

35 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

I think I have had 3 models buried at the same time at most. Don't really know how many successful casts of Pinebox resulted to that.

Well it was 3 different models one was buried twice. A Goryo buried twice, Madam Sybelle, and a canine remains. The points denial and loss of activation pretty much crippled Seamus. But it's good to see people realize the utility of an action and then use it.

Just now, Thulis said:

Well it was 3 different models one was buried twice. A Goryo buried twice, Madam Sybelle, and a canine remains. The points denial and loss of activation pretty much crippled Seamus. But it's good to see people realize the utility of an action and then use it.

It's a powerful action, but people usually also realize the easiest way to counter it as well i.e. kill the death marshal. It usually takes some kind of special set up to get that death marshal close enough to an enemy to use pine box and then get him away from there.

2 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

It's a powerful action, but people usually also realize the easiest way to counter it as well i.e. kill the death marshal. It usually takes some kind of special set up to get that death marshal close enough to an enemy to use pine box and then get him away from there.

Right, in a lower points game such as this demo though, without additional models the only way to get out was to pass the WP opposed duel when the Marshal activated again. 

1 minute ago, Thulis said:

Right, in a lower points game such as this demo though, without additional models the only way to get out was to pass the WP opposed duel when the Marshal activated again. 

Yeah, the smaller game size also helps you have cards to cheat for all the death marshals you have as you have fewer models competing for those cards.

I've had 2 models pine boxed at the same, but I've then managed to kill the death marshalls to free them. (I think It was Bad juju and McTavish that were pine boxed before they activated that turn and were holding squat markers, so if I had lost them for the full turn it would have been a huge swing in the game). 

Not exactly the match with the original question, but I had once buried the same model 4 times in a game.

Pine box is really a powerful attack with high AP efficiency and deny power, while it is only as strong as the Marshal. So I would say Lucius maybe the most obvious master to boost their accuracy and threat range as well as provide healing to keep them alive. Beside Lucius, which master do you think can improve the Marshal's performance?

• Like 1

In a Henchmen game I had my Nothing Beast Boxed turn 2... and he remained so for the rest of the game.  Turn 6 no less.  I did not get good hands and he pretty much always had a 13 or 12 in hand to keep it boxed.  Knocked the Marshal down to 1wd but he managed to get away and ran all the way to the corner of the board.  While I did a decent job hurting the rest of his stuff having my heaviest hitter effectively gone from the game for a 6ss marshal costed me the game *well Assassination costed me it as I lost by 1 VP*

Lucius is nice with them, he can trade places after they've buried something or make them move farther. His new upgrade making enemies unable to cheat should go really well with a marshal.

I have rarely buried multiple models but I managed to kerp Molly buried for three turns straight once.

I much prefer other models to do the burying. Six wounds evaporate in an activation. Doppelgänger copy of the death marshal had more survivability. (McCabe went into the box on turn two or three? At any rate, he only broke free once and was promptly shoved back inside, while she strolled back into his deployment zone under protection of manipulative.) I think a good portion of the power of Lady Justice’s coffin is that you are not, barring extreme luck, killing her in one activation.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, i'm not a guild player, but there was a kind of question just today:

we have marshal and it's buried the totem with a pine box action. At the begining of marshals activation he's taking a Wp:Wp duel, but... the quest is who is the defender in this duel? Is it marshal himself or totem? We've chose the second one. But we need to know if we're right for the future!

The marshal needs to succeed on the duel so we play it like he is the attacker meaning the marshal wins ties. 

It's never been officially answered but I believe that's how most people play it since the model needing to aucceed on a duel usually wins ties like when you do simple duels or attacks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aleksey said:

Hi all, i'm not a guild player, but there was a kind of question just today:

we have marshal and it's buried the totem with a pine box action. At the begining of marshals activation he's taking a Wp:Wp duel, but... the quest is who is the defender in this duel? Is it marshal himself or totem? We've chose the second one. But we need to know if we're right for the future!

The death marshal is the attacker.

If the model in the box relents the duel, it loses and it is still buried. We have to cheat a card to unbury our own model, then.

• Like 1