Guild commission blog

oxazejam

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Clothes and skin are definitely very demanding parts on any model, and since these are mostly just that it was a fun challenge and useful experience. I couldn't really take good photos of smaller models faces, especially Perdita, but I hope Santiago is a good example of how they look.

2 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

Nice work on the red leather colour of Perditas jacket. May have to give that a try myself.

Thanks. All reds were actually done the same way. I use Vallejo paints, colours were MC Burnt Red for basecoat, then lined and somewhat blended shadows with MC German Black Brown, same but reversed for highlights with GC Bloody Red (not sure if that paint is supposed to be so thin, but mine is and it kind of helps with the blendings), then edge highlight with the same colour + a little bit of MC Ivory. Once all colours on the model are up to that stage I do little spot highlights with pure Ivory to bump up the contrast just a bit more. At blending stages I usually go back and forth with thin layers to pull it off just right, so having some sort of wet pallete helps when I'm dealing with mixes rather than pure colours.  

6 hours ago, oxazejam said:

Thanks. All reds were actually done the same way. I use Vallejo paints, colours were MC Burnt Red for basecoat, then lined and somewhat blended shadows with MC German Black Brown, same but reversed for highlights with GC Bloody Red (not sure if that paint is supposed to be so thin, but mine is and it kind of helps with the blendings), then edge highlight with the same colour + a little bit of MC Ivory. Once all colours on the model are up to that stage I do little spot highlights with pure Ivory to bump up the contrast just a bit more. At blending stages I usually go back and forth with thin layers to pull it off just right, so having some sort of wet pallete helps when I'm dealing with mixes rather than pure colours.  

Thanks for the run through. I use Vallejo too so I will have to see if I have those colours to give it a go.

Peacekeeper is done. Rather quick paintjob (2 days) considering somewhat tricky cleanup and sheer amount of intricate details. Client suggested to make it rusty and battered, and in the end I wanted to achieve "rusty metal" look rather than "metallic rust", if that makes sence, so all effects were applied in moderation. I've added two little cheap jewelry chains to leg and arm to enhance the industrial feel and bulk it up a bit. Painting itself was done with brushes exclusively, it took a lot of patience to pick out all rivets and recesses one by one. Rough metallic highlights were done sparingly with a piece of sponge, later touched up by hand where needed. I also painted two cables in red and blue to tie it with the gang, little bit of OSL was done with the same blue as well.

pksh1.jpg.8c5df9823e7ccdfd78a37157036ef12e.jpgpksh2.jpg.c4c5cf59cbdf8f8acaaeab5f9f94a7a9.jpg

Hard to catch reflective surface on photos properly. In real life, of course, all transitions are more "alive" and noticeable. Bigger pictures + 2 more angles are uploaded to the album, link to which is in the first post.

Cheers! 

• Like 8

• 6 months later...