New Player, old Ophelia box

Sanael

Hi all,

Hoping to get a bit of advice for a new player, here. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I recently came across a lot of all sorts of miniatures, including one Malifaux item: the 1st edition metal Ophelia LaCroix box. I love the models (don't know if it's blasphemy around here to say so, but the old Ophelia tickles my fancy better than the new), and, having read the 2E rules, I like the look of the game. Of course, starting from the 1E box leaves some gaps...

1. The "Arsenal" pack of 2E cards that includes Ophelia seems to be OOP in the Wyrd store...any way I can get the cards for this box? Would Wyrd customer service do that (I know PrivPress does this if you purchase an old Mk2 blister, don't know if Wyrd does as well)? Has Wyrd gone to freely available cards for some/all models? (If you can't tell, I'm coming here as a Warmahordes player)

2. The old box has the same models as the 2E "The Kin" box, except for the 3 young LaCroix. I'd be happy to pick those up, but they seem unavailable in the webstore apart from the "Kin" box.

3. Assuming I can't get the Young LaCroix separately, what is a good way to fill out those slots (I intend to pick up a Misaki "The Thunder" box as the point-of-entry for my fellow tabletopper)? I particularly like the look of the Rooster Riders, but I currently know nothing about the point costs to field different models, and I don't know if the roosters synergize with Ophelia at all. I also like the look of the Bayou Bushwhackers.

I am sadly unaware of a Malifaux presence in my usual FLGS haunts, so any help this community can give would be appreciated!

You aren't alone to prefer some of the old sculpts. You can't get any of the master specific totems if you have the old box, they're very much oop except for the m2e boxes so you ill need to proxy or try to find them second hand. I think she really wants them. Proxies are officially not allowed by gg but I have never been to a tournament where the organiser didn't allow you to proxy, especially in a case such as this.

Cards can be ordered individually from another company that I never remember the name of (sorry). You'll have to wait for someone tp fill in my blanks or google malifaux stat card print on demand. If you buy the book where her crew came you are allowed to copy from that and use them. 

The newly released official app "Bad things happen" allows you to view every single card in the game in it by paying 10 dollars/euro.

Thanks, Ludvig, much obliged.

I'd missed that the young LaCroix were Ophelia's totems, no wonder I can't find them separately. Makes sense. I can certainly make proxies once I have cards, and I may hunt a bit for after-market lots.

Looks like Wargame Vault has the cards as print-on-demand, that Google Search worked, thanks!

And good to know about the Bad Things Happen app, may be a thing I get.

Thanks, all.

OK, so I've looked over the print-on-demand cards and if I'm seeing things correctly the 2E Ophelia box comes out to 30 points worth of models. Assuming upgrades are 1 point each (a safe assumption, I don't know?), I think that means the whole thing kits out to 38 points?

If that's right, and I wanted to hit 50 points total (so 12 more points), what would be good pickups to add to the Ophelia crew?

Again, I like the models for Rooster Riders and Bushwhackers...and I suspect I'll end up with the box for the Brewmaster sooner or later, so maybe the Moon Shinobi will sit with Ophelia?

I think the models are 28 ss without the totems but you can take 3 upgrades on ophelia and all the others in the crew are henchmen and enforcers so they can also take upgrades. You would probably want at least a few the general upgrades for gremlins which come in the general upgrade decks but then you have to buy all the general upgrades for all the factions. If money is tight and you don't have anyone to split with you could order some other gremlin upgrades on demand. I have no idea what they want to use except for definitely stilts on Francois and probably dirty cheater on someone. Have a look at the page "Pull my finger" for a breakdown of each model and what upgrades areuseful for them.

I don't play gremlins myself. Rooster riders used to be super good so they got an errata to bring them down a little. I think they're still decent but an actual gremlin player would need to comment on their usefulness now. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with regular bayou gremlins because they fulfill a number of roles. Having a lot of activations is pretty important and you want cheap models to place markers instead of your killer elite models from Ophelia's box so I think bayou gremlin box is a pretty safe bet since they are 3ss per model. It will offset the expensive models and leave you enough stones for some modicum of choice. Bayou gremlins are also probably the model you will want to use as proxies for her totems.

Ophelia is the only Gremlin master I don't play, but my main thought is that her box gives you a lot o' killing, which is fine and good, but adding more killing may not be the best idea, and Roosters and Bushwhackers are primarily killy models.

Assuming you don't want to go wild and do stuff like buy a whole crew box just for one model, I'd recomment for some small purchases:

• Bayou Gremlins* - like Ludvig said, they're cheap, you could use them as proxies for Young LaCroix if you wanted, and they give you lots of extra activations. They're good for taking objectives and generally just being warm bodies.
  • Merris LaCroix - thematically another member of the Kin, she is a lot less killy. She's strapped to a big rocket and her thing is being very, very fast. She is really really good at lots of schemes (what people refer to as "a scheme runner") and will end up scoring you lots of points.
  • Sammy LaCroix - ha, the last LaCroix. Just a coincidence really. She gives you a lot of stuff you're otherwise missing. She's more of a control model than a straight damage model, and she also targets Willpower instead of Defense, meaning she gives you a way to do stuff against enemy crews that have generally high Df. I also really like her so there.

*if budget isn't an issue, I would really recommend buying Som'er Teeth Jones's crew box "The Bayou Boss" instead of the regular bayou gremlins box. It contains the same 4 bayou gremlin models, but you also get Lenny, who is a good support model that works well with most of the Kin. One of their common mechanics is dealing double damage but taking half of the damage that they dealt. Lenny lets them access it whenever rather than relying on the right card, and he reduces all damage they take by 1, making it a better deal. Also of course you get Som'er and his totems, and I like him a lot too as a master.

• Like 1

Ophelia is my main master and I can attest to most of what Dogmantra recommended. I would add the creative taxidermy box to the list of "to buy" as well.

1. It gives you the taxidermists which are just amazing models. They help Ophelia with activation control by summoning stuffed piglets, and they're also really decent killers in their own right. Reckless makes them ok scheme runners as well if the game calls for it.

2: Stuffed pigs are a must have for my Ophelia lists. Since the errata raised their stone cost, I haven't hired any, but both Sammy and the taxidermists can summon them so the price increase didn't really bother me. They're great denial pieces in certain pools, and can tie up killy models in other matchups. I love those little boom-boom pigs!