been a while since I've asked, what was your last list you played

4thstringer

I got caught up in an impromptu session of teaching kids minis painting basics, so I could only drop in once in awhile to view the battle of Sonnia + Francisco + handlers vs. Lilith.

Middle of turn 2: Notice something missing? *looks at Lilith-shaped hole in the conflict* *counts stalkers*

Top of turn 3: Meet my new Stalker. I named her Nekima!

Top of turn 4: (from the other side of the table) I’m still counting that as Nekima’s red joker (*Barbaros is removed and yet another Stalker placed*)

• Haha 3

Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: ours 50ss 
Leader: Nellie Cochrane - Cache:(4)
   Alternate Facts 2ss 
   Guild Funds 1ss 
   Delegation 1ss 
The Printing Press 3ss 
The Jury 8ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Domador de Cadaveres 7ss 
Nurse Heartsbane 8ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Papa Loco 7ss 
   Numb To The World 1ss 
Watcher 4ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 

I ran this into Shen long with

Declared Faction: TenThunders 
Crew Name: Shlong-Tengu 50ss 
Leader: Shenlong - Cache:(2)
   Wandering River Style 2ss 
   Yang 1ss 
   The Peaceful Waters 0ss 
Peasant 2ss 
Ototo 9ss 
   Call The Thunder 1ss 
Yamaziko 6ss 
   Equality 1ss 
   False Target 0ss 
Shadow Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of The Dawn 0ss 
Mr. Tannen 6ss 
   Death Contract 1ss 
Katanaka Sniper 7ss 
Monk of Low River 4ss

It was ply in standard.  We both took take one for the team (him on ototo me on nurse HB) and undercover Entourage (me on Nellie, him on yamaziko). 

My whole plan was to try to get a fat hand with Nellie and lure stuff to get ply with the belle.  I ended up charging nurse HB with"take this" and in on ototo first turn, hitting 2 severed and finishing him off at the top of the next turn, as well as landing a severe on yamaziko(setting her up to die from a single propaganda from Nellie.). At that point, as long as I did ok at ply it was basically over.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Crew Name: ours 50ss 
Leader: Nellie Cochrane - Cache:(4)
   Alternate Facts 2ss 
   Guild Funds 1ss 
   Delegation 1ss 
The Printing Press 3ss 
The Jury 8ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Domador de Cadaveres 7ss 
Nurse Heartsbane 8ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Papa Loco 7ss 
   Numb To The World 1ss 
Watcher 4ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 

How'd the Domador fare? I love the ability to pull a Belle in but unsure of him outside of that....

1 hour ago, NickDub said:

How'd the Domador fare? I love the ability to pull a Belle in but unsure of him outside of that....

I actually didn't use him with the belle.  He spent the first two turns building evidence for Nellie's card draw, then turn 3-5 was either plying or blasting off nellie to heal nellie and hurt the people near her.  

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I actually didn't use him with the belle.  He spent the first two turns building evidence for Nellie's card draw, then turn 3-5 was either plying or blasting off nellie to heal nellie and hurt the people near her.  

Can you elaborate about building evidence? Are you fishing for tomes on wp duels or ditching cards?  

today I went back and played another one of the pools from Baratta's tournament prep thread from last week. Played Headhunter w/Eliminate, Covert, Search, Public, and Hold Up. I used: Lucius w/Deep Pockets & Secret Objectives, The Scribe, Phiona Gage w/Lead Lined Coat & Transparency, Witchling Thrall x 2, Thalarian Queller, Lawyer, and Guild Guard x 2. ( I really wanted to drop an upgrade and the Lawyer to pick up an Investigator but was playing where we don't use proxies). 

I played against a Storm Misaki list. I took Public Demo (2 x Thralls & Queller) and Covert Breakthrough. Public Demo is such a freebie with Lucius that it was an automatic choice. I went back and forth over whether to take Eliminate or Search as opposed to Covert.... against a Misaki list if you have the tools Eliminate is usually a good option since you know she is coming. Alternately with Lucius and his ability to allow interacts with Guild Intelligence Search is always a good option as well. I ended up opting for Covert for a couple of reasons- (1) with Secret Objectives I will likely be clearing markers and  undermining my own Search, (2) in Close Deployment its virtually as easy to get Covert as it is to get Search without the prohibition of markers not being within two- with Phiona she can just about drop everything you need in one turn w/Transparency. 

Worked out pretty well. Won the flip for initiative and was able to run down the clock on activations that matter- I had 9 to his 8 and forcing him to go first put me in a  position where on his last activation (Misaki) I still had Phiona and a Thrall left. I had deployed back from the line with most of my crew and used blocking terrain to protect the stuff that was up close. I led with Guild Guard and Phona (in deployment not in activations) protected but he Scribe so presenting the expendable wall of Def 7 models (Patrolling Guild Guard w/ +1 from the Scribe) in soft cover and a Def 8 Phiona (Right at Home & +1 from the Scribe). This kind of deployment in coordination with activation control kind of discourages the usually Misaki alpha strike. Compounded by the early "Arrest" of Izamu by one of my Guild Guard he was at a pretty significant disadvantage early. Before his next to last activation I alpha'd an Enchanted Weapon Thrall in and took an Illuminated down to 1 WD, stripping his hand so Izamu couldn't do more than walk once. Then with Misaki afraid to come in and get the counter attack from the other Thrall and Phiona she didn't do anything significant and my other Thrall took out the Lone Swordsman (had got one good hit earlier with an Issue Command) dropping a head back in a safe position for turn 2 and then Phiona went in an took a Samurai down to 1 WD positioned where she would be Def 7 next turn and also separating his crew and isolating the expendables and Emissary from Izamu and Misaki. 

Turn 2 saw a Thrall finish off the Samurai and Illuminated and the other Thrall pick up a head on an Issued Command and then with the Queller's buff knock Izamu down to where he could be finished by Phiona whose Transparency enabled the Thralls to get in the bonus hits to bring the pain. My crew took some wounds on Phiona, a Thrall, and I lost a Guild Guard as well. But by the end of turn 2 he was down to Misaki, the Emissary, and a Torakage and I had scored 1 from the strat, 3 from Public, and had 2 x scheme markers in place for Covert with heads in place where I could get them on turn 3. 

He ending up conceding at the end of Turn 2. With the Thralls healing back up on their trigger and me already being pretty far ahead on pts the didn't think he could bring it back. Evidently he had taken Covert as well and I had pinned him in well enough that he wasn't going to be able to get through unless the Torakage just double walked and I had models in place that could chase him down. On turn 3 I would have been able to stall the Emissary and focus everything on the Torakage and Misaki and he didn't see a way to turn the tables- since I was able to keep the position where I was pretty much only presenting Misaki high Def models as options I would be able to save my high cards to shut down Thunder or force him to cheat in his severes just to hit limiting his ability to cheat them in for blasts multiple times during her activation. With her only being able to blast once or twice then I could just shrug off the damage on things that didn't matter, stone with Phiona, or heal back with the Thralls. 

All in all it was a fun game- I really dig some Lucius in a game of Headhunter- though I felt a little bad for my opponent. We talked after the game about some different list choices and how he could have played it differently and perhaps made a different game of it. 

• Like 2

I forgot last week’s game, a demonstration of Guild McMourning which touched on the two main points: multiple nurses are pure evil, and fourteen wounds hard-to-wound does not last under any sustained assault, particularly not a hailstorm of Ortega bullets. On the other hand, the main learning point for my opponent was it is rarely worth leaving Papa Loco close enough to hand his buff off to another crew member.

I regret to report that Guild McMourning still gets next to no use out of his emissary. I could’ve used it to transport Sebastian if I didn’t need the soft cover aura, but believe me, I did.

well, got a game in tonight with the Guild. Played: Lucius w/Deep Pockets, Secret Objectives, Condescending; The Scribe, Ryle, Phiona w/Transparency & Lead Lined Coat, Witchling Thrall x 2, and Guild Guard x 2. 

He played (from Memory): Hamelin w/ The Piper & Plague Pits, Stolen, Bishop w/Scramble, Sue w/Return Fire, Johana w/Scramble, Obedient Wretch, Freikorpsman, Desperate Mercenary.....and some other stuff I don't remember including some rats. 

Strategy/Schemes were: Headhunter, Eliminate, Hold Up Their Forces, Take One for the Team, Recover Evidence, and Vendetta. I took Eliminate and Take One For the Team on a Guild Guard. 

Game ended up a draw- my fault as I snatched the draw from the jaws of victory. On one turn I failed to measure to verify I had Ryle positioned properly to block him from picking up a head and the Friekorpsman had about 1-2mm of clearance outside of Ryles engagement range to pick it up. When Ryle had charged in on another model in the area I had 1" to spare where I could have moved him further to make sure I had everyone engaged and I thought I had moved him close enough but didn't double check.

We had a good game though even though I picked my schemes poorly. In the end of the game I had taken down all his key pieces except Hamelin and blasted at Hamelin with a Thrall's cast three times, Ryle's shoot twice, and a focused Guild Guard to try to get him below half wounds for Eliminate and couldn't get it done- I should have taken Vendetta instead and got the guaranteed two points for it instead. Based on the terrain and layout I thought he was going to have to advance Hamelin further after I got rid of his pits quickly but he stayed back where I couldn't get to him. My other scheme choice was a little questionable as I don't like Take One generally since it depends on you opponent killing the model. I had the Guild Guard sucker in the middle of the table almost the whole game and even used him to block Johana on a key turn to stop her from getting a charge on Phiona but he never did enough damage to knock it down. Not sure what I should have picked instead- he had enough models with rats, etc that Recover Evidence wasn't an option and generally I don't find Hold Up to be very good either. In this case I don't know that it would have mattered either way- either scoring damage on Hamelin or checking the engagement (I thought it looked obvious and had the movement to engage all) range to deny the one turn of Headhunter would have given it to me but I still think there should have been something different with he schemes also. Maybe Hold Up would have been the choice- it can probably be scored more easily with a Lucius crew than most of our crews. 

All in all it was a great game and against a really good dude to play against. 

Disclaimer- I don't usually run Ryle in my Lucius crew but wanted to do something different and play a cool model. 

Played a game of stake a claim tonight in flank v. Asami.  Won 7-4

Crew Name: walls Sonnia 50ss 
Leader: Sonnia - Cache:(3)
   Cherufe's Imprint 1ss 
   No More Masks 1ss 
   Badge of Office 2ss 
Malifaux Child 2ss 
Brutal Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of Incineration 0ss 
Abuela Ortega 7ss 
Guild Pathfinder 6ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Hannah 10ss 

2 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Played a game of stake a claim tonight in flank v. Asami.  Won 7-4

Crew Name: walls Sonnia 50ss 
Leader: Sonnia - Cache:(3)
   Cherufe's Imprint 1ss 
   No More Masks 1ss 
   Badge of Office 2ss 
Malifaux Child 2ss 
Brutal Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of Incineration 0ss 
Abuela Ortega 7ss 
Guild Pathfinder 6ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Clockwork Trap 2ss 
Hannah 10ss 

what were you copying with Hannah?

4 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I think I cheated tbh.  I had Hannah copy the child's copy action. Looking back on it I don't think that is allowed.

yeah, it isn't allowed because the CHild's copy is a (1) tactical action that allows him to take the Master's CA but it isn't a CA itself. 

That was why I was confused when I saw Hannah in the list. Don't get me wrong, I like Hannah- the extra card, Nether Flux, Counterspell, etc but I almost don't take her unless I have at least 1-2 things she can copy as well. I just feel like I am not getting her points worth if I can't use all her abilities. Same with Vanessa in Outcasts; if I field her I feel obligated to have a construct to take advantage of her Command Construct (0). 

• Agree 1

1) Standard, public executions, 1, 4, 10, 12.
50 SS Guild Crew
Lucius + 4 Pool
 - Deep Pockets (2)
 - Condescending (1)
 - Secret Objectives (1)
The Scribe (2)
Captain Dashel (8)
 - Arrest Him (0)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Guild Rifleman (5)
Guild Rifleman (5)
Guild Rifleman (5)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

win 7-4 against Shen

2) Standard, supply wagon, 4, 8, 12, 13
50 SS Guild Crew
Lucius + 4 Pool
 - Deep Pockets (2)
 - Condescending (1)
The Scribe (2)
Captain Dashel (8)
 - Arrest Him (0)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Guild Pathfinder (6)
Guild Lawyer (5)
Guild Lawyer (5)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

win 8-3 against another Shen player.

3) Standard, symbols of authority, 4, 9, 11, 12
same roster
win 7-3 against Schill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alansonchik said:
1) Standard, public executions, 1, 4, 10, 12.
50 SS Guild Crew
Lucius + 4 Pool
 - Deep Pockets (2)
 - Condescending (1)
 - Secret Objectives (1)
The Scribe (2)
Captain Dashel (8)
 - Arrest Him (0)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Guild Rifleman (5)
Guild Rifleman (5)
Guild Rifleman (5)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

win 7-4 against Shen

2) Standard, supply wagon, 4, 8, 12, 13
50 SS Guild Crew
Lucius + 4 Pool
 - Deep Pockets (2)
 - Condescending (1)
The Scribe (2)
Captain Dashel (8)
 - Arrest Him (0)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Guild Pathfinder (6)
Guild Lawyer (5)
Guild Lawyer (5)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

win 8-3 against another Shen player.

3) Standard, symbols of authority, 4, 9, 11, 12
same roster
win 7-3 against Schill

Wow, doing it with very in theme Lucius lists.  Nice.  Was that a tournament win?

played today against Misaki, game was Public Execution (Standard Deployment) w/Eliminate the Leadership, Dig Their Graves, Undercover Entourage, Recover Evidence, and Public Demo. I played:

Nellie w/Delegation, Misleading Headlines, and Guild Funds- Cache (4); The Printing Press, Frank w/Wade In & Lead Lined Coat; Phiona w/Transparency & Lead Lined Coat; Peacekeeper w/Numb to the World, Thalarian Queller, Guild Guard x 2.

Disclaimer- this was my first game with Nellie (I Know). I have played lots of Lucius, Lady J, and a decent amount of Sonnia but have always resisted using Nellie up till now.  I have provided some feedback on Nellie lists based on theory-faux and my experiences with other models in the list but just didn't have the desire to play her until now- the Iron Scorpious concept for some tournaments (not that I lay a lot of tournaments) forcing me to consider needing 4 to 5 different masters......and my wife got me the Nellie box for Father's Day. 

I played against:

Misaki w/The Storm & Recalled Training0 Cache (2); Yamaziko, Shadow Emissary w/Conflux of Thunder, Izamu w/Hidden Agenda, The Lone Swordsman, a Samurai w/Favor of Jigoku, and a Torakage. 

I took Eliminate the Leadership and Undercover Entourage for my Schemes. I really debated this choice because Dig Their Graves is so easy with Phiona but I decided even though I had taken Transparency on her to go with Eliminate and Undercover. This would allow to use her other triggers (Head Trauma/Wide-Swing) and would give me more flexibility with her (in my mind). Plus, it's hard for me to not take Undercover Entourage- it just feels like a free 3 pts in most games- unless i am using an alpha strike master that I think I am likely to lose. I also considered Eliminate to be a pretty safe choice since it's pretty much a given that Misaki is "coming in", would be in a position where I could take her, and is pretty important a target to neutralize anyway unless you want blasts all over your crew.

I really struggle with taking Guild Funds on Nellie and generally think that just another stone in the cache or a different upgrade might have been a better choice. In theory being able to Evidence farm one turn with 2-3 Scathing Reviews plus her pitch  card and the Evidence from the PP could give you the quick +2 soulstones which would potentially provide a lot of benefit throughout the game with either damage prevention, stoning for cards, re-flipping initiative, etc. Using Scathing Review would also possible force them to take Interacts the following turn giving you more Evidence then too but......this didn't see to work out for me though with only 1 x game maybe I should reserve judgement and try it a few more times. Instead my limited experience leads me to believe that you just don't have time or a free turn to do this as even on turn 1 I felt she needed to Incite and spam out Fast w/Assignments People. Maybe if I had played a much more passive and defensive game it would have worked out for me but I just didn't get a chance to use it and there wasn't a single turn where I had more than two Evidence and never had more than 1 left (If that) at the end of the turn- maybe different schemes forcing the opponent to Interact would have changed this. 

Regardless of how I felt about Guild Funds (still open to discussion and your input on it) the game turned out fine. First turn was some stalling and positioning as I won initiative and forced him to activate first. Then I activated the Printing Press, passed a couple activations and then activated both Guild Guard, before activating anything of importance. At this point by the time I activated the second Guild Guard he was down to a Fast Izamu and Misaki. I had not advanced with anything (at least where he could get to it) so he brought Izamu up and held Misaki for his last activation. I advanced the Queller and hit the Lone Swordsman with Restraining Wand and cheated a 12 of Crows in for Slow to ensure he wasn't going to be doing much next turn plus got Moderate damage on him and waited to see what he did with Misaki- if he advanced then I could jump her, if he hung back then that was going to let me pick apart other pieces of his crew. He advanced with Misaki to position her for the turn 2 strike and put up Deadly Dance to prevent a Fast Frank or Peacekeeper from walking up and Flurrying on her. 

At this point I was faced with some decisions I had a number fo possible targets- Lone Swordsman, Izamu, or Misaki with the Samurai, Torakage, and Emissary back where it could support but not directly counterattack next next if I went in on any of the targets. I decided Nellie would be my next activation and depending on the success of her spells that would determine what I did next- I only had a couple of good cards left (plus the Black Joker) so forcing through spells would leave me without cards to cheat in for attacks and damage. What I planned was for Nellie to make the PK fast and if successful then hit him with Propaganda (counting on the +2 Armor to keep him from taking a lot of damage) to push him 5" so he could then shoot/Flurry Izamu and then with her other AP I could use Assignments to make Phiona Fast and let her put in work on Misaki since I wasn't worried about the Slow Sowrdsman.

Well....that was theory but if practice it took 2 x casts to make the PK Fast so Nellie then walked to Incite the Swordsman to give me a safety valve for next turn and failed to get that done as well. At this point since he was out of activations I ended up activating Frank to El Mayor the Peacekeeper, shoot at Izamu, and then walk to position for next turn. The Peacekeeper went in on Izamu but due to the sheer incompetence of his programmers didn't manage to do more than a few wounds on Izamu. Phioona double walked to engage Misaki (yes I know she has diving charge) and that was it for Round one. 

Turn 2 he activated Misaki first and was faced with the choice- he could attack Phiona (who was DF 7 in the woods), charge the Queller and be way out of position, or charge Nellie where he wouldn't be able to cheat damage. He ended up attacking Phiona due to his concern over Nellie's Revisionist History and desire to not get here isolated out of position where pretty much my whole crew could jump her if he went after the Queller. Misaki's first attack she flipped, I cheated, she cheated, then she cheated the Red Joker in for damage and blasts. On the second attack he flipped high, I couldn't cheat high enough to beat him so stoned for damage prevention and he Black Jokered the damage on Phiona. On his third attach cheated to hit and I out cheated him causing him to miss.  He did do damage to Nellie, Frank, the Queller, and a Guild Guard and had put 6 wounds on Phiona (less 1 wounds from the 7 WD from BJ due to LLC). All in all I was pretty fortunate that I didn't take a lot more damage but even with a second set of blasts everything would have survived and I would have been positions to still execute the plan. 

With the threat of Misaki out of the way and the Swordsman essentially neutralized  it took a lot of pressure off me. I activated the Printing Press and did her thing then waited instead of chain activating Nellie as I wasn't too worried about his positioning. He did make the desperation play with the Lone Swordsman popping his Reactivate to try to finish Phiona. I activated Nellie and made Phiona Fast (plus healed her), made the Peacekeeper Fast, and failed to make the Lone Swordsman slow for his reactivation. Even so the Loneswordsman couldn't get the job done against Phiona. the PK flurried against Izamu and finished him off and then Phiona started beating on Misaki and then Frank came in to help. By the end of turn 2 he was down Izamu and the Lone Swordsman and Misaki though still alive was low enough she wasn't going to survive another turn. With the Emissary, Torakage, and Samurai facing down my whole crew (Yamaziko had been sprinting for the far corner to hide in preparation for Entourage) he was ready to concede but decided to play for a few more activations. 

I encouraged him to play longer but after losing Misaki and playing the game of passing activations, your stuff is Slow (Peacekeeper Sh and Nellie), and my stuff (Frank/Phiona) is fast it's kind of hard to keep anyone in the game. Theory-fauxing out the rest assuming I couldn't get to Yamaziko he would have ended up with 3 pts for Undercover and I would have had either 9 or 10 (3 for Undercover, 3 for Eliminate, and 3 pts for Public Executions- maybe 4 making some assumptions about finishing the Emissary off on turn 5).

All in all not too bad an outing for Nellie; a 9-3 win (10 if I got the Emissary). Still not sold on Guild Funds......and have a few other versions of the list I want to try out (Executioner in one, Allison Dade in one, and some odd ball swaps). 

54 minutes ago, thewrathchilde said:

. He ended up attacking Phiona due to his concern over Nellie's Revisionist History and desire to not get here isolated out of position where pretty much my whole crew could jump her if he went after the Queller. Misaki's first attack she flipped, I cheated, she cheated, then she cheated in for blasts-Phiona stoned and he hit the Black Joker on her anyway. He did do damage to Nellie, Frank, the Queller, and a Guild Guard. The second attack I out cheated him and on the third attack he cheated to hit but couldn't get the severe for damage and only got a moderate having already burned through the high cards in his hand. 

How did she do blasts damage if she bjed her damage flip?

23 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

How did she do blasts damage if she bjed her damage flip?

He didn't. I messed up that whole sequence. I was typing the report in the middle of cooking ribs........there were some copy/pasta, stop typing and baste, and type some more errors in there. I will fix....I am not sure what I was thinking when I typed that. I think what happened was the double cheat, cheat Red Joker for blasts. Then second attack I couldn't out cheat him, I stoned for damage prevention and he Black Jokered the damage, third attack he cheated and I out cheated him......that adds up right. He ended up with 6 damage on Phiona (Red Joker minus armor) and only blasted on my stuff once. 

This is nothing close to what I typed above.....not sure what kind of fumes I was inhaling while cooking earlier. Will edit for correctness. 

@4thstringer in the absence of the crackheadedness in my original post your reply was supposed to be convincing me of the value of Guild Funds and how Nellie gets mileage out of it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thewrathchilde said:

He didn't. I messed up that whole sequence. I was typing the report in the middle of cooking ribs........there were some copy/pasta, stop typing and baste, and type some more errors in there. I will fix....I am not sure what I was thinking when I typed that. I think what happened was the double cheat, cheat Red Joker for blasts. Then second attack I couldn't out cheat him, I stoned for damage prevention and he Black Jokered the damage, third attack he cheated and I out cheated him......that adds up right. He ended up with 6 damage on Phiona (Red Joker minus armor) and only blasted on my stuff once. 

This is nothing close to what I typed above.....not sure what kind of fumes I was inhaling while cooking earlier. Will edit for correctness. 

@4thstringer in the absence of the crackheadedness in my original post your reply was supposed to be convincing me of the value of Guild Funds and how Nellie gets mileage out of it. 

Something still sounds off, you don't usually stone for damage prevent until  after the damage flip IIRC(though now I want to look it up).

I'm going to start a new.thread on guild funds, it's a topic that deserves it's own thread.