been a while since I've asked, what was your last list you played

4thstringer

30 minutes ago, (Sarcasm) said:

I took vendetta on a rifleman against a medium based model wearing a big metal dress who I shamefully can't recall anything else about.

Anna Lovelace probably. She prevents pushes and shoots at you.

You don't need to push the wagon very far in flank. In another deployment type Lucius would probably really enjoy a hunter or mounted guard for it.

• Agree 1

Thanks it was Anna Lovelace! I plan to get a hunter because I like all of Hoffman's box. But I currently own 20 something guild models and not a single one is finished. So I'm not allowing myself to buy more until I've painted more. It's choosing the colour schemes so that everything fits in (in some way) that stress me out :mellow:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, (Sarcasm) said:

Thanks it was Anna Lovelace! I plan to get a hunter because I like all of Hoffman's box. But I currently own 20 something guild models and not a single one is finished. So I'm not allowing myself to buy more until I've painted more. It's choosing the colour schemes so that everything fits in (in some way) that stress me out :mellow:

I can relate to that. I picked a striking colour to put on more or less every model and painted crews in batches so at least the thematic ones tied together well. I have teal (I think) on almost every model, a few crews have red instead. All guardsmen have blue-grey coats with red detailing. It doesn't tie in perfectly but it looks coherent enough when I stick to a themed crew. I can spend months trying to pick colours. You could use a muted colour for coats to tie it all together as well and let each crew have some other dtriking colour perhaps.

40 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I have teal (I think) on almost every model, a few crews have red instead. All guardsmen have blue-grey coats with red detailing.

That is almost exactly how I'm hoping to do mine! Sonnia's red is her hair. all the fire will be teal. Her overcoat will be an almost black blue. Lucius coat will be red etc. The main issue is the guardsmen and stalkers and other minions' primary clothing colour. I've got the stalkers with gross green/grey rags but dont want that colour for the soldier themed models. (Sorry for derailing everyone else.)

• Like 1

How did you avoid misakis blasts?  I feel like riflemen should have been really vulnerable.

1 hour ago, (Sarcasm) said:

first game with Lucius against Misaki

Flank deployment, Supply Wagon, Guarded Treasure*, Dig their graves, inescapable trap, Show of force, Vendetta*

+ Deep pockets (2)
3 Guild Riflemen (15)
Captain Dashel (8)

2 guild guard (6)

2 Witchling Thralls (18)

I took vendetta on a rifleman against a medium based model wearing a big metal dress who I shamefully can't recall anything else about. Got the kill first turn after activating all my other rifleman first to whittle her down. Guarded Treasure was difficult given that I only took two non-minions (and I won't take it again when I get this pool in an upcoming tournament) because I felt the list was very solid. I won in the end but was at an advantage from the get go after killing my vendetta target, as my opponent wasn't expecting that level of damage output turn one and was already out activated. In the end, Dashel giving Misaki Slow in melee and just avoiding death with a damage prevention probably made the difference between a loss and a win (or at least a draw) as this meant I scored guarded treasure and my opponent couldn't push the wagon back over the centre line with Misaki slow.

I'm not sure exactly what I would change about this list as I don't own any large based models to push the wagon better than the thralls could. Perhaps dropping some guard/riflemen for the scribe? Another non-minion? Another upgrade for Lucius too perhaps

The riflemen did the bulk of their work turn 1 and 2 and were only just in range turn 1. They were centre back just past deployment while Misaki was attempting to stop my wagon on a flank probably 17 inches and impassable terrain away. In retrospect she probably should have rushed them but at the time the wagon is the only thing he can already see me getting VP from so I guess that was prioritized. The blast did mow them all down in turns 3 and 4 very easily so the game probably would have gone differently if he'd prioritised them from the start. That in mind, the Thralls would have had free reign after getting the wagon to centre turn 2 and controlled his backline. As I said, first game with Lucius so I'm not sure what would have happened if my opponent had taken a different route. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Anna Lovelace probably. She prevents pushes and shoots at you.

You don't need to push the wagon very far in flank. In another deployment type Lucius would probably really enjoy a hunter or mounted guard for it.

@(Sarcasm) Excellent choice for a Vendetta, in that she needs to die. Immediately and with extreme prejudice.

Actually wouldn’t at least one 40mm base minion be the best wagon driver for Lucius? Start base-to-base with wagon. [Possible other activations to advance rest of crew go here.]

Activate Lucius, issue command with built-in push trigger the same distance as the wagon push, walk and commanding presence the commanded minion to push the wagon again, walk and commanding presence something with 6” walk to walk up to touch the wagon [or push it, if the Wk6 has already activated]. My Wk6s are all on 30mm, so I end up with a wagon 8” up the field—enter Master Queeg pushing himself on activation to gain 8” of movement and have an AP remaining with which to push the wagon.

I haven’t even tried to optimize this for investigators, but they tend to move all of my army forward a small distance, not a few out very far which is what we need for going over the centerline. Maybe if one was dedicated to pushing a 50mm... In this case Queeg sacrifices his pushing duties to give the aura of (0) interacts and everyone schemes.

We are currently still tweaking the ‘stabby Lucius’ build, and it’s hardly ideal, but I suppose it could be redirected on turn one to push a wagon instead of seed the minefield with schemes. Usual emissary model placement hijinks apply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Gnomezilla I don't own investigators, queeg or the emissary unfortunately but those all sound like interesting ideas. I have wanted to try that on Lucius (I assume you're talking about the 'remove friendly scheme markers to get an equal number of attack actions' upgrade?). The main comment from my opponent was that I was spending 18pts of models on turns one and two just moving the wagon. I can't fault him but although it wasn't planned, I did find that the Thralls' cast was very useful for pushing enemies out of the way of the wagon if I wouldnt otherwise be able to move it. Also Guild Intelligence was invaluable.

Well, put into those terms, I’m happy to use 50ss worth of models on turn one getting my wagon over the line with a defender well positioned behind it. No amount of Guild Intelligence is going to push the wagon through my model. (Really good idea to terminate that b— Anna early so her 0 couldn’t sweep any wagon defender aside.)

Nobody owns investigators yet, but I’ve been proxying with glee. Love those little disrupters. (On the other hand, you have the thralls which I don’t. Sculpt weirds me out.)

• Like 1

For tonight, I've been iron chef challenged to use/feature orderlies.  It's a ply game with lots of scheme marker schemes.  Here's what I am bringing

Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: nellie orderly 50ss 
Leader: Nellie Cochrane - Cache:(4)
   Alternate Facts 2ss 
   Guild Funds 1ss 
The Printing Press 3ss 
The Lone Marshal 7ss 
Orderly 5ss 
Orderly 5ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Riotbreaker 6ss 
Riotbreaker 6ss 
Riotbreaker 6ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 

I am considering dropping either a riot breaker or 2 gg for an investigator, and then just trying to protect it while maintaining it's no marker scoring bubble turn after turn.

• Like 2

I ended up running that list with lj, and the governor's proxy instead of the other totem.  I played against Shen long and managed to pull it out 8-7.  I was up 7-5at the end of 5.  I rarely want to see a round 6 in a close game.

The proxy is still garbage.  Same with the orderlies.

My best challenge is the exorcist.  Not looking forward to trying to make that turd work.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I ended up running that list with lj, and the governor's proxy instead of the other totem.  I played against Shen long and managed to pull it out 8-7.  I was up 7-5at the end of 5.  I rarely want to see a round 6 in a close game.

The proxy is still garbage.  Same with the orderlies.

My best challenge is the exorcist.  Not looking forward to trying to make that turd work.

So you’re saying the stompybots were good? [/disengage selective hearing]

I was odd man out this week and got too engrossed with arguing the ‘Nellie is a nephilim’ angle* even to paint. 

*If Lucius can still make Lilith think he’s maybe a strayed black blooded, the definition must be somewhat broader than we thought. I’m just saying. :P 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

So you’re saying the stompybots were good? [/disengage selective hearing] 

They were every good against Shen long. Shut down so many fast models.   Took a beating.  Ate activations with disperse, stopped models from plying with riot gun.   My only complaint is their pillow fists and def 4 means they get ply knocked off easily.

I had a game last weekend. It is a killy pool(Public Execution, Eliminated Leadership and Dig Their Graves) so I picked Lady Justice. My opponent was playing Viktoria.

Lady Justice
-Swordfigter
-Ashwood Coffin
Francisco
-Lead Lined Coat
-Wade In
The Jury
-A Debt to the Guild
-Lead Lined Coat
Master Queed
-Lead Lined Coat
-Promiss
Death Mashral Recruiter
Brutal Effigy
Field Reporter
Scales of Justice

I had charged Lady Justice into opponent's Big Jake too early in the turn1 and failed to remove him. Then the Lady was counter charged by one of the Viktoria and Bishop but still survived at 1 wound. It was my first time playing recruiter so I totally forgot the no-dying aura before I wasted 2ss to protect the Lady.

The turn 2 I had won the initial flip so the Lady can finished Bishop and healed up to half wound. My opponent charged another Vik into the Lady but failed to kill her even without the recruiter's aura. The recruiter then counter charged Vik can finished her with the help of the Lady. Francisco walked and jumped to the first Vik and pushed the Lady 0" to stay in engagement for preventing shooting from other enemies, which I completely forgot later in the turn. Opponent shot the Lady with Desperate Mercenary and flip red joker for attack and 11 for damage! What a kill stealer!

To revenge Francisco flurried Vik and finished her, and Recruiter shot the mercenary to death. While Hans had killed the Jury and Queed at the same turn. And this was the turn that dusts had been settled. My opponent made a mistake at the last move when killing Francisco and unabled to score from the execution strategy, so I won at 6-5.

This was a very fast game that 2 crews just rushed to engage and kill each others. I realized that I tended to put as many buffs into the Lady as I can, El Mayor, promises arua, fear not the sword and the no-dying arua. Which made my struggle a lot for activation order. Also I was keeping them so close to the Lady such that they could not do much outside of babysitting. The Jury only healed 3 times before she was shot off from the table, and Master Queed was too busy to push my own guys that unable to engage oppoent shooting models. Maybe I sould switch them out for more self-satisfying flanker to disturb opponent's concentration from the Lady.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fumbled my way along in another Nellie learning game. Mostly learning that her upgrades I like are not her popular upgrades, her actions I like are not always Propaganda, never mind that it’s her biggest activation multiplier. For my amusement I built a burning list, mostly witch hunters but with a smattering of guild guard to threaten more burning shots from handler aura. It had no resilience. I also learned anew that Nellie herself has no resilience at the start of turn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Fumbled my way along in another Nellie learning game. Mostly learning that her upgrades I like are not her popular upgrades, her actions I like are not always Propaganda, never mind that it’s her biggest activation multiplier. For my amusement I built a burning list, mostly witch hunters but with a smattering of guild guard to threaten more burning shots from handler aura. It had no resilience. I also learned anew that Nellie herself has no resilience at the start of turn.

So, what are -your- upgrades, your most loved action on her? :)

And why do you think she's less resilient at the start of the turn?

She's always suspectible to high min damage but otherwise her abiljty to cheat everything down is great :)

Are you talking about her not having any evidence at the beginning of the turn to win the duel and push the model away?

7 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I've found that not focusing on propaganda let me use evidence for other things (pushes, guild funds or even cards from the new upgrade).

I find hot off the presses to get really inefficient unless I'm using transparency on phi or the press to put down lots of markers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tris said:

So, what are -your- upgrades, your most loved action on her? :)

And why do you think she's less resilient at the start of the turn?

She's always suspectible to high min damage but otherwise her abiljty to cheat everything down is great :)

Are you talking about her not having any evidence at the beginning of the turn to win the duel and push the model away?

I like Guild Funds to ramp up evidence, and the positioning game which interrupts other activations (just like the investigators do, but at longer master-level range). Think I have got to take another look at prospectors, as I also want a minefield of markers.

I picked Editor in Chief for the regen all over the board and Delegation for the heal trigger, but she died too early to capitalize on that. I had to let one hit go through on the first activation for the evidence, and then failed to dodge any others either (he flipped 13s on Ml7, thrice). And I had been so happy to draw that amazing hand, too, which left me nothing to cheat down the damage.

22 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

I like Guild Funds to ramp up evidence, and the positioning game which interrupts other activations (just like the investigators do, but at longer master-level range). Think I have got to take another look at prospectors, as I also want a minefield of markers. 

I picked Editor in Chief for the regen all over the board and Delegation for the heal trigger, but she died too early to capitalize on that. I had to let one hit go through on the first activation for the evidence, and then failed to dodge any others either (he flipped 13s on Ml7, thrice). And I had been so happy to draw that amazing hand, too, which left me nothing to cheat down the damage. 

More importantly, have you tried the thalarian stone yet?

• Haha 1

Tried the Hoffman nom-nom-nom devour list. Didn’t work at all. It makes me turn green with fear, but I might have to forsake Field Mechanic to fit the necessary survival upgrades.

Gave the ‘handler + burning spam’ idea another go in close quarters so I was using (stalker) Ml6 instead of spamming Sh4 which, in defiance of statistics, simply would not succeed. A model went into the grinder of non-threatening minions, a model fled trailing burning values, Samael...oh my word, Samael...slew two gremlins with a single out of LoS shot Samael!...shot the model once it attempted to retreat.

• Like 1

I've been playing Arcanists but my buddies stay true to the wise and powerful Guild. Holy fucking shit in regards to LJ with the Jury. She riposted Marcus to death in a single activation because I didn't have good cards in hand and he got lucky with 13s and dropped shit cards to give herself masks... Santiago near Jury was also rrally scary until I engaged him, he took out a rogue necro in a single shot (+triggers) which is pretty great when comparing costs. 

I can also report that Sonnia's avatar will more or less clear the table of a 50ss list in a single activation. :D

When not playing guild you start to appreciate how much damage we put out at range. Haven't dirtied it up with mages though, pure beasts from older waves so far. 

• Like 1

Sonnia Creed: Cherufe's Imprint, No More Masks, Counterspell Aura

Allison Dade: Transparency

Nurse Heartsbane

Witchling Handler

Witchling Stalker

Brutal Effigy

4 Guild Hounds

I thought up a combo that worked like this:  Allison Dade attacks someone and droops a Scheme Marker with Transparency.  The Witchling Handler hands our burning to all the hounds that surround her.  The dogs move once and charge for (1) since the enemy is near a marker.  The dogs hand out burning, then Sonnia can blast away.  The downside with this plan is that the hander doesn't work that way.  Models have to stay within 4" to gain Burning +1. 

I played this in two games against a Lady J crew.  I tied one game and lost another by three points.  Basically I have the core of two lists here.  Sonnia, Nurse, the Handler and Stalker in one list, and Allison and the dogs in the other.

49 minutes ago, jchrisobrien said:

Sonnia Creed: Cherufe's Imprint, No More Masks, Counterspell Aura

Allison Dade: Transparency

Nurse Heartsbane

Witchling Handler

Witchling Stalker

Brutal Effigy

4 Guild Hounds

I thought up a combo that worked like this:  Allison Dade attacks someone and droops a Scheme Marker with Transparency.  The Witchling Handler hands our burning to all the hounds that surround her.  The dogs move once and charge for (1) since the enemy is near a marker.  The dogs hand out burning, then Sonnia can blast away.  The downside with this plan is that the hander doesn't work that way.  Models have to stay within 4" to gain Burning +1. 

I played this in two games against a Lady J crew.  I tied one game and lost another by three points.  Basically I have the core of two lists here.  Sonnia, Nurse, the Handler and Stalker in one list, and Allison and the dogs in the other.

I have been subjected to some Dade test cases as well. In that case the emissary was involved, and I can wholeheartedly recommend hiding her behind a larger base/height model to keep her alive if it’s the heal aura you want. Some of her turns were merely walking into LoS, casting once, and walking back to safety.