been a while since I've asked, what was your last list you played

4thstringer

13 minutes ago, jchrisobrien said:

You're absolutely right!  I didn't pay attention because I never took that upgrade on him, but no coat for the Pale Rider.

My next list will probably be against Nicodem or Yan Lo.

I found Yan Lo games to be different than almost any other master I played against.  The closest I can describe is maybe belle spam. I look forward to hearing how yours goes.

Does the Sanctioned Spellcaster's Singularity action protect against Lightning Dance?

Lightning Dance: place this model into contact w/target enemy then place target enemy.

Singularity: friendly's may not be pushed or moved by the enemy.  (Your are moving the model, but doing so via Place).

I might want to bring Anna Lovelace along against him.

29 minutes ago, jchrisobrien said:

Does the Sanctioned Spellcaster's Singularity action protect against Lightning Dance?

Lightning Dance: place this model into contact w/target enemy then place target enemy.

Singularity: friendly's may not be pushed or moved by the enemy.  (Your are moving the model, but doing so via Place).

A place is neither a move, nor a push :)

46 minutes ago, jchrisobrien said:

From the rule book:

Placement Effects

Some effects will call for a model to be placed in a location. This is most common when effects summon or bury models, but other rules might call for players to “place” a model.

Placement is not movement, the model is simply put into the position described by the rule. 

Placement is not movement.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran solo Hoffman into today’s tournament and did relatively well.

Emissary & Guardian with Arcanist support into a Hamelin at Supply Wagons, where I made the infamous Hoffman traffic jam work for me, inserting it behind my wagon which was over the line, and in front of his which was not. Grateful it was not a plague pits Hamelin.

Emissary, peacekeeper, and twin guardians into a summoning Pandora at Ply for Information, where I got Vendetta done ASAP and then mechano-leaped for the corners while misery damage ate everything left behind. Narrow, narrow loss there. I expected much worse.

Emissary and Francisco, with queller for sauce, into Nicodem at Ours. Nico had two horrific blowouts already, and the scheme pool wasn’t deniable either, so I pitched the idea of winning and committed everything to the alpha strike. Got it. Then Hoffman, isolated, proceeded to nerd rage red joker Sebastian on the next turn. Then a flesh construct on the next. Yes, I also lost 10-0, but I did more damage on the way than either of my opponents put together! And most of that was by Hoffman himself! It was bananas.

First time I got through a tournament without losing my head at some point. That took forever...

Played a game today with Nellie (Delegation, Misleading Headlines, Guild Funds), Phiona (Wrath of the Guild, Debt), Frank (Wade In, Lead Lined Coat), Alison Dade (Transparency), Mounted Guardsman, Guild Guard x 2, and Printing Press.

My opponent played Parker, and I ended up winning 10 - 7.  The strategy was Supply Wagon with flank deployment.  My schemes were Undercover Entourage and Inescapable Trap, while my opponent took Entourage and Guarded Treasure.

Dade was a star, keeping Frank alive by slowing Mad Dog and a Wokou Raider and allowing him to heal.  Between her, Nellie, and the Printing Press I managed to slow everyone but Parker and Doc on turn 3.  The Mounted Guardsman gave the supply wagon a couple pushes on turn one (fast from Nellie, then push it twice for 8" total) and then the Guild Guard took over.  Really like them now that they're 3 points.  I think I'll use the male Through the Breach character kit to make a third.

10 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Just ran solo Hoffman into today’s tournament and did relatively well.

Emissary & Guardian with Arcanist support into a Hamelin at Supply Wagons, where I made the infamous Hoffman traffic jam work for me, inserting it behind my wagon which was over the line, and in front of his which was not. Grateful it was not a plague pits Hamelin.

Emissary, peacekeeper, and twin guardians into a summoning Pandora at Ply for Information, where I got Vendetta done ASAP and then mechano-leaped for the corners while misery damage ate everything left behind. Narrow, narrow loss there. I expected much worse.

Emissary and Francisco, with queller for sauce, into Nicodem at Ours. Nico had two horrific blowouts already, and the scheme pool wasn’t deniable either, so I pitched the idea of winning and committed everything to the alpha strike. Got it. Then Hoffman, isolated, proceeded to nerd rage red joker Sebastian on the next turn. Then a flesh construct on the next. Yes, I also lost 10-0, but I did more damage on the way than either of my opponents put together! And most of that was by Hoffman himself! It was bananas.

First time I got through a tournament without losing my head at some point. That took forever...

Was that the tournament with bear force one ?

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

It doesn’t seem like the Mauler would be very good without the Circus Bear upgrade.

It might not be.  I honestly just like the idea of all those wounds.  Sometimes you just gotta give something a try.

That being said, I got distracted by another idea I wanted to try and did this instead:

Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: bellehoff 50ss 
Leader: C. Hoffman - Cache:(3)
   Arcanist Assets 1ss 
   Improved Harness 1ss 
Domador de Cadaveres 7ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Brutal Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of Amalgamation 0ss 
Rail Golem 11ss 
   Numb To The World 1ss 
Death Marshal 6ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 
Witchling Stalker 5ss 
 I was planning on spamming belle lures, but my opponent used kentauri to get across the board turn 1.  The rail golem was a terror and killed so so much.

I had a 50SS game  yesterday vs Neverborns (Dreamer - summoner, Rider, Teddy, Nekima plus smth small). The pool was Public Execution, Elim the LDR, Set Up, Hold upTF, Inescapable trap, Search the Ruins. My list was the following: Perdita (Trick shooting, Fastest draw), Franc(Wade In), Phiona, Hopkins(DtG), Brutal Emissary(Confl), Santiago(Hair Trigger),Nephilim. I went with Hold Up TF and Search the Ruins.

After 2 turns my opponent placed 3 markers (he had same schemes), I put 2, he summoned already 3 small creatures(nightmares?) and Lellu plus Lilitu. Turn 3 he delivered Nekima by Rider-taxi to the area where were Emissary and Santiago.Then Nekima charged Santiago, killing him. Turn 4 Perdita used 3AP for shooting Nekima - certainly my fault, cuz Nekima had an upgrade for Negative flip vs Sh,MI (camouflage?) if it wasn't activated, therefore 0 wounds dealt and the worst possible Dita activation, here we go. In response Nekima start to hit Emissary, my second fault - I've burried her by Brutal instead of just hiting, then Rider killed Emissary. The score was  0 - 3 already, so I gave up.

The thing is I have played with my Guild vs his Neverborns last 4 or 5 games by giving up on T1(oh, yeah 1!, before i didn't know it is even possible in Malifaux) or T2 where he completely overplayed me with deployment, killing my key models, summoning more and more and luring then. I've even asked him do not use the Zoraida (doll trick)....(yeah, real desperation, if you ask this kind of thing). He tells me and I read some forums, that "Neverborns is pretty weak faction compare with the overpowered Guild high stats and perfect synergies everywhere" - and despite all of that I almost never in our games been able to kill a single Neverborn model, last 2 or 3 games only a few wound inflicted in total. I have to admit that my opponent is very skilled wargamer, even he has less Malifaux games. But c'mooon....a few wounds per game for the opposing crew ))

Please give me hints, how do you usually play vs Neverborns Dreamer summoner or Zoraida doll tactic things ?

9 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

It might not be.  I honestly just like the idea of all those wounds.  Sometimes you just gotta give something a try.

That being said, I got distracted by another idea I wanted to try and did this instead:

Crew Name: bellehoff 50ss 
Leader: C. Hoffman - Cache:(3)
   Arcanist Assets 1ss 
   Improved Harness 1ss 
Domador de Cadaveres 7ss 
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss 
Brutal Emissary 10ss 
   Conflux of Amalgamation 0ss 
Rail Golem 11ss 
   Numb To The World 1ss 
Death Marshal 6ss 
Rotten Belle 5ss 
Witchling Stalker 5ss 
 I was planning on spamming belle lures, but my opponent used kentauri to get across the board turn 1.  The rail golem was a terror and killed so so much.

Why Death Marshal? For Emmisary taxi?

1 hour ago, Atoli said:

Why Death Marshal? For Emmisary taxi?

I boxed the belle.  The idea was to be able to spam lures.  But my opponent got into my face so I couldn't.

2 hours ago, STO said:

I had a 50SS game  yesterday vs Neverborns (Dreamer - summoner, Rider, Teddy, Nekima plus smth small). The pool was Public Execution, Elim the LDR, Set Up, Hold upTF, Inescapable trap, Search the Ruins. My list was the following: Perdita (Trick shooting, Fastest draw), Franc(Wade In), Phiona, Hopkins(DtG), Brutal Emissary(Confl), Santiago(Hair Trigger),Nephilim. I went with Hold Up TF and Search the Ruins.

After 2 turns my opponent placed 3 markers (he had same schemes), I put 2, he summoned already 3 small creatures(nightmares?) and Lellu plus Lilitu. Turn 3 he delivered Nekima by Rider-taxi to the area where were Emissary and Santiago.Then Nekima charged Santiago, killing him. Turn 4 Perdita used 3AP for shooting Nekima - certainly my fault, cuz Nekima had an upgrade for Negative flip vs Sh,MI (camouflage?) if it wasn't activated, therefore 0 wounds dealt and the worst possible Dita activation, here we go. In response Nekima start to hit Emissary, my second fault - I've burried her by Brutal instead of just hiting, then Rider killed Emissary. The score was  0 - 3 already, so I gave up.

The thing is I have played with my Guild vs his Neverborns last 4 or 5 games by giving up on T1(oh, yeah 1!, before i didn't know it is even possible in Malifaux) or T2 where he completely overplayed me with deployment, killing my key models, summoning more and more and luring then. I've even asked him do not use the Zoraida (doll trick)....(yeah, real desperation, if you ask this kind of thing). He tells me and I read some forums, that "Neverborns is pretty weak faction compare with the overpowered Guild high stats and perfect synergies everywhere" - and despite all of that I almost never in our games been able to kill a single Neverborn model, last 2 or 3 games only a few wound inflicted in total. I have to admit that my opponent is very skilled wargamer, even he has less Malifaux games. But c'mooon....a few wounds per game for the opposing crew ))

Please give me hints, how do you usually play vs Neverborns Dreamer summoner or Zoraida doll tactic things ?

This calls for a new thread.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2018 at 9:20 PM, STO said:

He tells me and I read some forums, that "Neverborns is pretty weak faction compare with the overpowered Guild high stats and perfect synergies everywhere"

The Guild was considered a relatively weak faction outside of a few key models/combos which have been nerfed for a while. Recently they've gotten a bit of a power boost with Nellie, Debt to the Guild and, from what I've heard, Monster Hunters. Neverborn on the other hand have always had some exceptionally strong masters and models, the Dreamer being one of them (though he has been nerfed as well, he is still great at summoning and his new upgrade is strong). I would estimate that the general consensus would put Neverborn above Guild in power level, at least if we're not including the newest models that aren't in plastic yet and haven't been fully tested (those monster hunters are coming for us all).

These tier lists are usually less important than experience/skill though, but know that you aren't losing with overpowered models to weak models or whatever your opponent claims.

You may wish to swap crews with your opponent for a game to get a feel for what their crew can do, and a feel for what your crew feels like to fight against.

• Like 4

I'm playing this tonight:

Flank deployment

Strategy
Public Executions

Schemes
***README***
Eliminate the Leadership
Inescapable Trap
Take One For The Team
Public Demonstration
Dig Their Graves

I'm probably going to run this

Crew Name: lj bomb 50ss 
Leader: Lady Justice - Cache:(4)
   Ashwood Coffin 2ss 
   Swordfighter 1ss 
Scales of Justice 3ss 
Papa Loco 7ss 
   A Debt To The Guild 1ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Brutal Effigy 4ss 
Killjoy 12ss 
   Numb To The World 1ss 

I know I'm giving a lot of tempting targets to hit to get public demo, but if I'm taking attacks away from lj and kj I think that's a win.  I also intend to really hurt their numbers by dropping papa into their midsts with lady j and then blowing papa up.  That should reduce their numbers, give me wounded models for easy kills later, and eat their hands so even gg shots are more effective.

I got talked out of the above list by being given a iron chef style suggestion of making a list around Ronin.  I took this

Crew Name: Ronin lucius 50ss 
Leader: Lucius - Cache:(4)
   Deep Pockets 2ss 
   Condescending 1ss 
   Surprisingly Loyal 1ss 
Ferdinand Vogel 8ss 
Guild Investigator 6ss 
Guild Lawyer 5ss 
Monster Hunter 6ss 
Terracotta Warrior 6ss 
Ronin 6ss 
Ronin 6ss 
I played against asami

I lost the monster Hunter early.  My opponent had almost all 6 or less stone models so it felt worse than it was.  My Ronin were terrors against my opponents obsidian oni, and the Terra Cotta helped to keep my Ronin and Vogel alive.   My Vogel and investigator card machine Drew me a ton of mediocre cards, and helped push Ronin into position to flurry.  

I ended up winning 8-5.  I got 3 for inescapable trap (which I usually hate but I suspected correctly that my opponents summons would swamp me. ). Take one for the team got me 2, partially because I forgot that three of his models had reduced point costs from the errata.  I managed to out kill him, mainly due to the obsidian oni being very vulnerable to the Ronin.  Final score 8-5

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

@4thstringer

Did you not pay merc tax on the ronin or did I miss a point frop for them?

edit: I guess you could afford them with the tax and just didn't write it here.

I've only used a ronin once but it did ok then. They do cost a chunk of stones.

I assume the app applied the Merc tax. I didn't check it's math.   I will say my crew felt kind of diluted with the two of them. I wouldn't pay Merc tax for them again, though I would try Nellie with them.

• Like 1

first game with Lucius against Misaki

Flank deployment, Supply Wagon, Guarded Treasure*, Dig their graves, inescapable trap, Show of force, Vendetta*

+ Deep pockets (2)
3 Guild Riflemen (15)
Captain Dashel (8)

2 guild guard (6)

2 Witchling Thralls (18)

I took vendetta on a rifleman against a medium based model wearing a big metal dress who I shamefully can't recall anything else about. Got the kill first turn after activating all my other rifleman first to whittle her down. Guarded Treasure was difficult given that I only took two non-minions (and I won't take it again when I get this pool in an upcoming tournament) because I felt the list was very solid. I won in the end but was at an advantage from the get go after killing my vendetta target, as my opponent wasn't expecting that level of damage output turn one and was already out activated. In the end, Dashel giving Misaki Slow in melee and just avoiding death with a damage prevention probably made the difference between a loss and a win (or at least a draw) as this meant I scored guarded treasure and my opponent couldn't push the wagon back over the centre line with Misaki slow.

I'm not sure exactly what I would change about this list as I don't own any large based models to push the wagon better than the thralls could. Perhaps dropping some guard/riflemen for the scribe? Another non-minion? Another upgrade for Lucius too perhaps.