Learning Malifaux, need advice for next purchases

Zirenius

Dear users, who seem to have way more experience than I do.

I just recently started collecting Malifaux and picked the Neverborn as my first faction.

So far, I have purchased 2 masters (Lilith, Titania).

On a podcast (schemes and stones), I heard the sound advice to start and stick with three masters with widely different play styles. 

Could you please enlighten me, as to which third master might best add to what I already have? My budget is somewhat limited at the moment (100-ish) and my collection features the following miniatures so far: Lilith box., Titania box, Waldgeists, Mr. Tannen, Mr. Graves, Primordial Magic, Nekima, Doppelganger, Nephilim, Rougarou. 

I looked at all the masters. Fluffwise, I lean towards slowly transitioning into Guild via Lucius, or branching out into Ten Thunders via Lynch.

I am open to any suggestions. If one of the branching options actually makes for a valid start into a second faction, so I could have two functioning crews at home to play casually with friends, that'd be a great plus. If my question has been answered a million times before, I beg your pardon and I'd be happy to delete it. However, I think that the changing meta and new releases still give it some validity and I hope that you'll share some insights. Thank you very much and have a lovely evening,

Sebastian

What you have already is a pretty solid start and you will be able to take on all of the strats and schemes with it. Between Lynch and Luicius Lynch is a better choice in terms of what will work well with your existing collection as you can take everythingin his box in Neverborn and illuminated are great minions to have while the models in the Luicius box are all guild models (and not that great guild models to boot) so can only be taken with him in Neverborn and getting some of the best models to take with Luicius would require you to buy more guild only models that only he would be able to ise in Neverborn. I also think Lynch is a bit easier to get your head arround as a new player.  Both of those masters play quite differentlyfrom eachother but they are also both different enough from the 2 masters you have to give you a varied play style by just swapping your masters arround.

Personally I would recommend Lynch for best synergy with your existing collection but if you are a big fan of Luicius and would prefer a expanding into Guilld then do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three masters at the same time is the absolute max to start with for an experienced player I would say, fewer is not a problem but a strength for learning.

I would stick to what you have for a while. You have the neverborn all-starts which gives you a really solid core and none of the two you mentioned will add that much. Don't get me wrong, illuminated are great but you are already drowning in expensive models and good 7ss minions from Titania's box so if you get Lynch a lot of your stuff will just be collecting dust. Lynch and Lucius are also generally trickier than Lilith or Titania so there are really few scenarios where one of them would be a better choice than learning Lilith and Titania better.

Play around ten games to get a feel for what you are lacking before you consider more purchases would be my advice.

Edit: I do agree with Spectre that Lynch gives the others more options while Lucius will keep his toys to himself. That said if you like Lucius you could go for him and get great use out of the models you have since you're already sliding into his theme with the three mimics you have and Titania's minions. I don't think Lynch uses the models you have in a better way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Voodoo Specter said:

What you have already is a pretty solid start and you will be able to take on all of the strats and schemes with it. Between Lynch and Luicius Lynch is a better choice in terms of what will work well with your existing collection as you can take everythingin his box in Neverborn and illuminated are great minions to have while the models in the Luicius box are all guild models (and not that great guild models to boot) so can only be taken with him in Neverborn and getting some of the best models to take with Luicius would require you to buy more guild only models that only he would be able to ise in Neverborn. I also think Lynch is a bit easier to get your head arround as a new player.  Both of those masters play quite differentlyfrom eachother but they are also both different enough from the 2 masters you have to give you a varied play style by just swapping your masters arround.

Personally I would recommend Lynch for best synergy with your existing collection but if you are a big fan of Luicius and would prefer a expanding into Guilld then do it.

Thank you so much. Yes, I did buy the models I have after reading through what I considered common denominators of the factions. :) Leaning towards Lynch!

8 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Three masters at the same time is the absolute max to start with for an experienced player I would say, fewer is not a problem but a strength for learning.

I would stick to what you have for a while. You have the neverborn all-starts which gives you a really solid core and none of the two you mentioned will add that much. Don't get me wrong, illuminated are great but you are already drowning in expensive models and good 7ss minions from Titania's box so if you get Lynch a lot of your stuff will just be collecting dust. Lynch and Lucius are also generally trickier than Lilith or Titania so there are really few scenarios where one of them would be a better choice than learning Lilith and Titania better.

Play around ten games to get a feel for what you are lacking before you consider more purchases would be my advice.

Edit: I do agree with Spectre that Lynch gives the others more options while Lucius will keep his toys to himself. That said if you like Lucius you could go for him and get great use out of the models you have since you're already sliding into his theme with the three mimics you have and Titania's minions. I don't think Lynch uses the models you have in a better way.

you, my friend, are the welcome voice of reason! Thank you for confirming my choice in models so far. After all, they still need painting... thank you for your time!

• Like 2

Ludvig is correct, the two you have will make for a good start and it will take you quite a few games just to get a handle on them (I recommend easing in with Lilith first, she can play a very straight forward, killy game, but to really shine I think you need to use her as board control instead of a hammer.  It is a good lesson for the game as a whole).

Among other masters, you have some good models for Lucius, that could also be transferred into Guild, if you wanted (graves  and tannen).  Rougarou are decent too.  I personally just prefer Lucius to Lynch, so that's my bias.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2017 at 1:45 AM, Hatter said:

Ludvig is correct, the two you have will make for a good start and it will take you quite a few games just to get a handle on them (I recommend easing in with Lilith first, she can play a very straight forward, killy game, but to really shine I think you need to use her as board control instead of a hammer.  It is a good lesson for the game as a whole).

Among other masters, you have some good models for Lucius, that could also be transferred into Guild, if you wanted (graves  and tannen).  Rougarou are decent too.  I personally just prefer Lucius to Lynch, so that's my bias.

Thank you very much for the advice. Right now the plan is coming up with viable 40ss lists for a first tournament in December and getting the crew painted up. I am too slow to have all models painted by then, but I am confident that Lilith might be flexible enough. I really like the Guild aesthetics, so that might happen at some point in the future. :)

You're good with what you have, but WHEN you get around to grabbing your next set of models, I'd probably look at scheme runners (Gupps/Silurids (ideally Zoraida's box) for Claim Jumpers, or Insidious Madnesses for sheer speed). And then maybe the Lilitu/Lelu box for Lilitu (the lure and 4" engagement are nice). I don't think you really need anything else, but those are some other models I really like to use in certain pools, and their abilities aren't really replicated within the rest of your current lineup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2017 at 10:41 PM, chryspainthemum said:

You're good with what you have, but WHEN you get around to grabbing your next set of models, I'd probably look at scheme runners (Gupps/Silurids (ideally Zoraida's box) for Claim Jumpers, or Insidious Madnesses for sheer speed). And then maybe the Lilitu/Lelu box for Lilitu (the lure and 4" engagement are nice). I don't think you really need anything else, but those are some other models I really like to use in certain pools, and their abilities aren't really replicated within the rest of your current lineup.

Thank you. I think I will indeed get what I have painted first. Your suggestions sound fine down the road. I will see where I go from there. :)