So who is running Yan Lo (Wave 5) and how is it going?

NulSec

He's immense! I've had a handful of games with him now and by turn 3 he is able to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and do everything himself.

I considered Lilith to be the best all-around master in the game and Yan Lo is now in the same bracket: they have similar tricks, and although Lilith's abilities are better, with Ca8 and no suit dependence, Yan Lo is more reliable.

Crew building has to change - previously I would take a crew to do the work (largely Ancestors) and Yan Lo would support. Now I find expendable crews to be more beneficial. The only Ancestor I take is Chiaki, and I've never needed to pass off chi, it's just because she is generally very good. 

Because Yan Lo plays much more aggressively for me now, this idea of him as a tank is less secure. Even fully powered up, your opponent will happily nickle and dime him: I've got very close to losing him on several occasions. For this reason, I think Fortify the Spirit is essential to provide a little further deterrent or just ensure you can avoid that killing blow. Misdirection might work, but it works in less situations. Another reason why I don't take Ancestors - I'm not taking Reliquary. 

My current favoured list is:

Yan Lo w/ Awakening, Follow Their Footsteps and Fortify the Spirit

Soul Porter

Chiaki w/ Peaceful Waters

Goryo

Goryo

Onryo

Pathfinder

Trap

Monk of Low

10T Brother 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I played Yan Lo both before and after. I only have to say I believe that he was the strongest master that I have, I say this as it is really easy for you to be able to stop your opponent from scoring. The new upgrades just make it easier to do this. 

My normal turn with him is to go last and cast lighting dance as many times as possible to mess with what ever they are trying to do. As an example Yan Lo can go last turn 1 and pull out one opponent from where they need to be into one of your beaters, then at the start of the next turn do it again with another of their models.  

On a side note I tried something new as slowed 4 opponents start of turn 2 thanks to one of the new upgrades which is really powerful.