Kai

Iron Painter 2017 - Round Three Announcement

2 minutes ago, Octavus said:

I so understand you. Had this situation last round. It was horrible -whole Mexico city did not have epoxy resin for water simulation

@Octavus at least you still managed to get your entry completed 😀

i am hoping I will too, I think there will be some late nights!

• Like 1

Yeah, I have been about the same -- So far I have only done planning and starting a llittle on the base. I am probably spending way too much time on that part... I haven't put down a single drop of paint yet. But I do have a figure coming in the mail tomorrow, and should start painting soon!

Oh, and I've also watched 6 episodes of season 2, so am at least getting plenty of inspiration ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, easily_mused said:

I started tonight.  I decided the first Idea I had was too complicated and I didn't have time... so I did nothing for a week instead. Brilliant!

I know that feeling! 

This has been my anniversary week (my wife and I got married Halloween 2013), so not much progress on my minis. But I have started filling and rescuplting Chompy, it's a pretty tough model to clean up. 

3 hours ago, neoezekiel said:

I've also been binge watching Stranger Things while the wife is sleeping, not a bad show.

I binged it with the wife. Season 2 was better than season 1. And it has inspired me a little bit for my submission.

I've had really low morale this round, certain I won't win. I lost a few days progress to anxiety and the procrastination that comes with it.

I usually structure these rounds so that week one is all about building with week two for painting. Like a half-time deadline. I've yet to begin painting on this project, and I can see a few all-nighters ahead. It's not going to be great, but I'll be satisfied just to get it done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, icatsai said:

I managed to get some of my base built tonight but now I am working 14 hour days for 2 days so not much chance to do more. I hope you are enjoying Season2 @Stark I watched it last week and loved it! 

I believe in you! You can do it! Actually I really want to see you work, previos two were amazing))
Yeah, definitely enjoying)) It's good as the 1 season, may be even better)

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

I believe in you! You can do it! Actually I really want to see you work, previos two were amazing))
Yeah, definitely enjoying)) It's good as the 1 season, may be even better)

Thanks! Not sure how this one will work, it’s maybe a bit more obtuse but we will see.

i can’t wait to see yours too. I love seeing the different ways people interpret the theme. It’s a tough competition that’s for sure! 

Yes, I think season 2 was better, it was like Alien vs Aliens 😀 MOAR THINGS

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, neveroddoreven said:

I've had really low morale this round, certain I won't win. I lost a few days progress to anxiety and the procrastination that comes with it.

Ah yes, I do understand that. The never ending spiral of fear leading to procrastination which then leads to more fear... I believe it happens to just about every creative soul. You are not alone. 

Cant wait to see your piece, I adored your skink, such lovely painting.

• Like 1

hello ...

as usual I started with some doodle

37498730304_6c158d6224_n.jpg

37498731794_4b0b686b84_n.jpg

then some pieces of wood ...

37498728494_8b14a1fb17_n.jpg

and some test with different mini...

38177860182_e962810dde_n.jpg

but time is running low and I'm not very satisfy with the current result ...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, icatsai said:

Ah yes, I do understand that. The never ending spiral of fear leading to procrastination which then leads to more fear... I believe it happens to just about every creative soul. You are not alone. 

Glad its not just me. Painting for the Iron Painter is challenging in ways I didn't expect.

I was so unhappy with my entry that it very nearly went into paint stripper yesterday but I ended up just repainting a section after some advice from friends and I feel like its going in the right direction again. 

• Like 1

This Round has been "Strange" for me in that I couldn't decide what to do. I just started painting some models on the to-do list and figured one of them would work or inspiration would come.

Just last night the inspiration finally hit. I'm going to create a scene with one of the models I've already finished and another I'm about 1/2 way done with. Then I just have to create the terrain for the scene. Both the minis and terrain will be usable in game so that's a nice bonus. Hopefully I can get this all done by Thursday since I'm going to a convention this weekend...

• Like 1

as for this round I already have the models nearly finished

I just need some idea for either a good base or a good terrain

I got lot of work done this round, almost done with main thing, thinking of other pieces to add

Lucky me I had my idea just minutes after announcement and started working on it day 1

• Like 1

Just now, argailwall said:

Lucky me I had my idea just minutes after announcement and started working on it day 1

I was in the same situation last round

however now I don't know what to do besides the models :/

Ok, I've been thinking and I could use some advice.

Do I scrap everything and do a single model on a small scenic base, or carry on working on an elaborate diorama that I might just finish in time?

I know I'd enjoy the single model option more and that it would play to my strengths, but in my experience dioramas are better at conveying theme (and maybe tend to score higher?). I'm not sure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, neveroddoreven said:

I know I'd enjoy the single model option more and that it would play to my strengths, but in my experience dioramas are better at conveying theme (and maybe tend to score higher?). I'm not sure.

IF they do tend to score bigger, I'd like to think that that's a bronze tier "issue". I assume that judges are able to look past simple spectacle of a diorama and see what's done well and what isn't.

Just my two cents from the eliminated club.

1 hour ago, neveroddoreven said:

Do I scrap everything and do a single model on a small scenic base, or carry on working on an elaborate diorama that I might just finish in time?

Tough call, imho, I'd go for the diorama, maybe keep it a bit simpler than you started/wanted. That is, keep it more modular, add elements as you have time, but have the basic thing good enough to be 'done' by the deadline.

But really you have to do what moves you - if it's a single mini on a scenic base, then do that instead.

Also more advice from Elim club ;)

1 hour ago, neveroddoreven said:

I'd say do the thing you enjoy that will play to your strengths. I've really enjoyed your submissions so far. Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

Just last night the inspiration finally hit. I'm going to create a scene with one of the models I've already finished and another I'm about 1/2 way done with.

Don't the rules state that you have to use a new model each time?

3 minutes ago, Stonewall78 said:

Don't the rules state that you have to use a new model each time?

Pretty sure he means "model I've finished this past week". Not one he used in a previous entry.

Also I'm pretty sure rules only state that you must begin work on your model once round is announced, automatically disqualifying previous entries.

• Like 1