Cobblestone bases tutorial

Citames

Cobblestone bases tutorial

I’ve recently gotten into Malifaux and was given a “RELIC HUNTERS - LUCAS MCCABE BOX SET” by a friend while experimenting with making cobble stones for their bases I settled on the following method and thought I would share it as it’s fairly simple and cheap.

I’m using FEMO air drying clay for the bases. The only reason I’m not using DAS clay is that the FEMO here in Sydney Australia is a lot cheaper and seems to be functionally similar.

.First of all I mix it with some craft or PVA glue, I find this helps bind the clay together a bit better as since the bases only need a small amount it is quite brittle and crumbly.

59f6734cb3f34_Article8.JPG.ee22c0192667c2b52c279c8c0307c1d7.JPG

Once its a big soft ball and not the slippery mess it starts out as I just push a small amount of the clay/glue mixture onto the base so that it is more or less flat and a little higher than the step around the edge.

Next using a rock I found in the garden I press a stone texture onto the clay and then leave the bases overnight to dry.

Once dry I blue tack the bases to a piece of grid paper to help with scoring the cobble stone squares into the clay. The grid I use is 5mm x 5mm. I use a modeling tool and a clear set square I had lying around, though any straight edge will do. The first grid I carve is light and just to set a guide.

59f673765059c_Article5.JPG.95fb9864e89ae90af378492ca9094150.JPG

I use a dust mask at this point as the clay breaks and crumbles a bit as you remove material to form the cobble stones grooves.

Next I free hand carve the lines into the clay following the lines I already established. The first run I use the sculpting tool like a blade to establish depth. The second run I use it with the wedge flat to the line so that it creates a bevel along the length of the groove.

Once I’m happy with the depth and bevel of the grooves I use my thumb to rub over and smooth any rough edges.

I then give the clay two coats of watered down PVA glue to help seal it before priming and painting.

You can easily add leaves or puddles etc as well to make them a little more interesting.

Hopefully the instructions are clear enough as it is quite a simple and easy process.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1