Jabberwocky

Open Letter to the 2017 Iron Painter Contestants

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, Jabberwocky said:

I also get a sense of urgency, like water out of control or wildly flowing.

Thank you very much for detailed feedback

Would you kindly mention what is your view on the third theme -having it in the beginning as a public knowledge may help to orient contestants

• Like 2

Octavus (and everyone else that is interested)--

I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on the theme...a couple of disclaimers, though. First of all, I am only one of five judges, so my advice/opinion is still a significant minority. I am not a lead judge or a head judge; I just happen to be the most verbal. :)

"Stranger Things" is obviously a reference to the show on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! That is the most direct reference here, but there certainly is no requirement to have seen the show. I think the entire Malifaux setting itself could fit under the category of "Stranger Things"--paranormal, spooky stuff. This may be before your time, but things from the Twilight Zone show to me would probably fall under the category of "Stranger Things". Anything that would be unusual or unpredictable in a given setting. It could just be something that is strange looking--think a circus sideshow act.

I want to stress again that these are just my opinion and obvious stuff that I thought of when the theme was released. As with anything, there is risk and reward for taking the idea and putting your own spin on it. Sometimes the most novel ideas are stuff the judges *haven't* thought of, rather than the obvious things that pop into everyone's head.

I hope this is helpful for you!

Best,

Sean

PS: If you haven't seen Stranger Things, I really do recommend it, regardless of whether you are using it in the competition or not!

• Like 9