Jabberwocky

Open Letter to the 2017 Iron Painter Contestants

Thanks for the words! For myself this is a great oportunity to improve myself with techinques that I never thought I could do...I´m really happy already just to reach the gold tier and hope to keep it as long as I can, but no matter what I´ll be giving the best that I can. Everyone should be proud of their works. 

• Like 1

oh, so now you tell us! :D 

Thank you for taking the time to outline your judging philosophy. It all makes a lot of sense. Good luck with the judging :) 

The main reason i've got into this competition is to be able to get feedback on my work and know what to do to get to the next step in painting. 

With just this post, it open my mind on what the next step will be. Thank you very much for your wise words!

• Like 1

My main goal in entering this competition was not only to have fun and try new things but to find out what I can do to improve. I want to know where I am going wrong and what I can work on to correct it. I am completely open to all constructive criticisms as I need to hear the bad 😀

• Like 3

6 hours ago, icatsai said:

My main goal in entering this competition was not only to have fun and try new things but to find out what I can do to improve. I want to know where I am going wrong and what I can work on to correct it. I am completely open to all constructive criticisms as I need to hear the bad 😀

Ditto. My entry seems to be not polling that well, but I have yet to get any feedback. If anyone has the time I'd love to hear what I can improve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gribble said:

Ditto. My entry seems to be not polling that well, but I have yet to get any feedback. If anyone has the time I'd love to hear what I can improve.

send me a PM and include a pic of your piece :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gribble said:

is it yours or is it that who you were paired with is that good?

• Like 1

My maine motivation was to try something new and get a feedback from professional painters so I totally support your statement and thank you for that :) !!!

• Like 2

@Jabberwocky Thanks so much for the extensive feedback, I really appreciate your thoughts and I'll definitely take on board your points. It will give me plenty to work on for the next round. 😃

• Like 1

@Jabberwocky Thank you so much for the feedback! I am now realizing one of the great things about this competition is not only how the themes challenge each entrant's skills, but the feedback from expert painters like yourself is incredibly useful and outstanding. Thanks again!

• Like 1

I also want to thank MaGie and Sean for their constructive feedback. Interesting to see WHAT they noted.

I personally see things on my submission I did not like, but none of them commented on these things.

@Nonparity happy to help and I hope this ends up being one of the nice takeaways from the competition aside from the experience of trying new things.

@SevenThirtySeven you are very welcome. I plan to continue the feedback each round for those that advance in the gold and silver tiers. :)

@Joe Cool you are welcome as well. One interesting thing that you will find as you do this (both in competition and otherwise) is that what you thought was a glaring error is in reality often not. Sometimes being so close to the project skews your idea of what is "wrong". There have been a number of times where I have perseverated over some detail, only to find that not only did the judges not notice, I was complimented on it. An artist's worst critic is most often himself or herself...

• Like 1