Is anyone doing well with Talos?

Pyrflamme

I've played Talos twice in Tara and I'm not...particularly impressed so far. I've won both games but he felt incidental in both. I feel like he's not any better than Nothing Beast / Bishop for bombing, and the inability to use his bury on a charge like Death Marshals reduces the potency of his bury (having to either walk or Tara invests in taxi-ing him). I almost find Tara beating on something in her second activation and getting repeated bury tests with -2 on Wp and reduced hands to be more effective. He does ask an interesting defensive question the rest of the thematic crew doesn't in terms of armor, which goes well with Tara's discard to reduce damage upgrade, and his innate healing. Still though, I find myself wishing I had Bishop's innate extra AP/Flurry with Chain Wrapped Fist being equal or better in damage with Ram on Adaptive, and able to prey on Wp same as the NB if necessary.

Is there something I'm missing with maximizing his personal bury? Is he maybe better in a non-Tara crew that would like to have a bury option available in event of something too resource-intensive to kill?

I used him in combination with hannah. Hannahs the one burying the main target. master or scary beater. and talos just sits around as your support beater able to either stay back and repeatedly hit buried things, lending his "hit buried stuff"-cast to hannah or bury a second source of danger. i have him walk mostly turn one and bomb with hannah instead. "bombing" being a single highcard bury on key target and runing for your life :P

And then let your flood of wretches finnish the cur.

Talos shining points are his sturdyness and low cost.

19 minutes ago, DXXXVIII said:

I used him in combination with hannah. Hannahs the one burying the main target. master or scary beater. and talos just sits around as your support beater able to either stay back and repeatedly hit buried things, lending his "hit buried stuff"-cast to hannah or bury a second source of danger. i have him walk mostly turn one and bomb with hannah instead. "bombing" being a single highcard bury on key target and runing for your life :P

And then let your flood of wretches finnish the cur.

Talos shining points are his sturdyness and low cost.

Don't you find the requirement for a :mask for Hannah's bury to be a bit too restrictive to make use of it reliably? I can imagine that she just eats stones to get the bury off every turn, and then it also puts pressure on activation order as well since the model comes back at the end of the turn. On the other hand, stomping a big base over the void record marker is always pretty fun...

30 minutes ago, apes-ma said:

Don't you find the requirement for a :mask for Hannah's bury to be a bit too restrictive to make use of it reliably? I can imagine that she just eats stones to get the bury off every turn, and then it also puts pressure on activation order as well since the model comes back at the end of the turn. On the other hand, stomping a big base over the void record marker is always pretty fun...

Ill allways pay a high card and a stone to bury a master or nekima for one turn. Thats often better than paralyse. And you dont have to do it every turn. If all goes well... the targets dead before it can unbury. 12 void wretch attacks, + up to 4x steal essence can kill stuff.

3 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

Ill allways pay a high card and a stone to bury a master or nekima for one turn. Thats often better than paralyse. And you dont have to do it every turn. If all goes well... the targets dead before it can unbury. 12 void wretch attacks, + up to 4x steal essence can kill stuff.

Yeah - those are all good points actually! I haven't used Hannah in a Tara crew, let alone with the new upgrade for the Void Wretches attacks...

On 23.10.2017 at 11:22 AM, DXXXVIII said:

As my Zipp has recently been void-stabbed to death by your hannah talos voidling spam list,i have to agree and confirm that this tactic is quiet potent. 

Fun times ahead when you realize your main model just got burried and there are 6 void wretch activations to go =D

Edit: I wonder if there could be room for the emissary in this list?

• Like 1

Use hannah for the bury because she can cast the bury 3 times (if fast), her bury is ranged, an opposed duell, can bury masters and has a quite high Ca-Value. Oh and its one of  the few offensive bury-Actions that offer the option to unbury the victim prematurely.

• Like 1

My usual list pre-book 5 is NB/Bishop/Karina/2x Wretch/Trapper along with the standard beastie bomb upgrades, I was testing out SUPER-STACKED Tara/NB/Talos/2x Wretch/Karina. I've been leery of doing the whole thing with VW spam in fear that they'd nerf it into the ground with a January errata, but I guess Tara hasn't been blowing up the tourney scene that much that they might do so. I'll look at playtesting the VW/Hannah/Talos list personally next chance I get.

14 hours ago, Zebo said:

I thought that placing Hannah on top of the marker keep the buried model out if the table. 

When unburying models, if the models do not physically fit in the specified location,
they are placed in their controller’s Deployment Zone by the player who controls
them. If models from multiple players were all unburied at the same time, the First
Player (see pg. 31) places her models first.

Rules manual page 54

16 hours ago, beergod said:

2 pt up grade Ancient Tomes. 1 CA action with a 8 in range

if your opponent is a bunched up you might be able to get a few models as it drops a 30mm marker that does the burring. It's not often taken in most lists. 

The void marker goes in base contact with the target, but it's still just the single target that gets buried.

16 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

Use hannah for the bury because she can cast the bury 3 times (if fast), her bury is ranged, an opposed duell, can bury masters and has a quite high Ca-Value. Oh and its one of  the few offensive bury-Actions that offer the option to unbury the victim prematurely.

She can only bury one model on a turn, since the action cannot be taken if there is a friendly Void Marker in play, which there will be after the first one goes off...

5 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

Yeah, wrote it wrong Sey. She can attempt to burry 3 times. Opponent is less likely to cheat against a (0)Action bury than possible 3 bury attempts.

So true. I had a red joker in hand, and 3 moderates. I decided to not resist the burry cause of her other attemps to burry me. 

I really think Talos' strength comes from his melee beater capacity and his bury as a secondary thing that can save his butt after he's taken a few hits. I do love the idea of Aionus to beat down on the buried model but that's a lot of points all in all. Trying to build all into the buried mechanic is a mistake overall