Gupps and Marcus

WWHSD

I just got the Amphibious Assault box to run with Marcus and am trying to figure out how I should base the 9 Gupps. If I'm hiring them I doubt that I'd ever end up hiring more than two of them so three models to base would work fine. If I run the Spawn Mother it seems likely that 3 Gupps won't be enough. How many Gupps should I plan to have on the board if the Spawn Mother is summoning? They are on a mighty big base to just place a single model but using 2 models per base only gets me to 4 Gupps.

Also, does anyone have any advice for taking Spawn Mother in a Marcus crew?

I really enjoy the "leap" crew. I hire Spawn mother, JAckolope, Blessed, Cerberus , Silurids and Gupps, and then give Marcus the Charge for 1 ap upgrade. 

I use the spawn mother to give them all +2 charge, which adds a huge amount of threat to them on that first turn. Especioally if you carefully place targets for Marcus to get charges against to move him up the board 10" per AP. Its also really good at stake a claim.  Its won me a couple of tournament games

I only have 3 Gupps bases, and whilst there are probbaly times I would have liked a 4th, its only been a win more situiation. I used scenic elements so that 1 Gupps figure on a base didn't look empty, but I used the old metals, so I can't comment on the plastics. Prehaps curring 1 in half so you get a head poking up, and legs diving under in water would help. 

I have seen people also sculpt a clutch of eggs on the base to take up even more room.  As far as Spawn mother, I really want to like her but for her cost she just doesn't offer enough. She can only summon a gupp every other turn. The +2 charge aura would be better if it covered more models. An aggressive swampfiend monster would give her miles more credibility. She's also very very easy to kill and can't take the upgrades that would make her work really well in Neverborn like the one that gives From the Shadows. 

17 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

I have seen people also sculpt a clutch of eggs on the base to take up even more room.  As far as Spawn mother, I really want to like her but for her cost she just doesn't offer enough. She can only summon a gupp every other turn. The +2 charge aura would be better if it covered more models. An aggressive swampfiend monster would give her miles more credibility. She's also very very easy to kill and can't take the upgrades that would make her work really well in Neverborn like the one that gives From the Shadows. 

She can summon a gupp every turn after the first if you want, you just have to hatch before you lay more eggs. But I generally drop eggs and get into position, and then expect to hatch turn 3 or 4 to give me a squad of gupps to grab last minute points in the last turn or 2. 

23 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

She can't summon a gupp the turn she lays an egg. Will O wisps can hatch eggs for her, but she can't make a gupp every turn

That's not accurate. The order she takes the actions matters.  She can't hatch if she has laid eggs in the turn. If she takes the hatch action first she can leg eggs afterwards.

She still can't make a Gupp the first turn unless she gets killed.