Kai

Round Two Voting - Information

Been thinking about the problem of strong unlucky entries having a super stong opponent. In gold and silver, this is not such a big deal because of the matching order reverse to the first entry. In bronze, it is sheer luck. Don't like that.

What do you guys think of a lucky looser list ?  4hills tournament in ski jumping has such a mode, that thr 5 best duel loosers make it into the next round. I would like to see something like that here, too. Voters could choose their 5 (depending on the round, we are in) lucky loosers. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

What do you guys think of a lucky looser list ? 

I like the concept - there were definitely at least 2 or 3 when I voted who I thought would be very unlucky this round.

Perhaps they could form a "waitlist" for drops? As long as they complete a model, they can jump back into dropped slots?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spikes said:

Echoing similar thoughts as above that dioramas tend to triumph over single models, especially since they just make the overall look more impressive. In Total testosterone and Femme fatale, they were separated categories, but here they're not. Perhaps the intent really is for more impressive display pieces. 

Voting is fast and simple! Agreed again that having larger photos would be great, but I believe this is manually done by Kai, so it's already a lot of hard work. Expecting links and larger image sizes (especially when everyone is uploading images of different sizes) is even more work that may be unrealistic.

Perhaps a better approach moving forward is simply to dictate a particular photo dimension for all submissions. It is then up to you how to highlight your piece that way. 

I agree, I like voting in the poll. I'm very thankful they put all this work into setting up/running the contest, but something does need to be changed with this method. This contest is about painting skill; there were some well painted pieces that looked pretty mediocre just because of the picture dimensions, and no one is going to take the time to search the pieces up in the gallery. Just putting a link to the image would possibly be less work for Kai, and let voters get a easier, better look at the painting.

I do like the idea of setting the smaller photo dimensions; that may be the best of both worlds. That way you know exactly what voters are going to see and we can keep the nice head to head voting in the poll. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

In gold and silver, this is not such a big deal because of the matching order reverse to the first entry. In bronze, it is sheer luck.

Actually it's not)

There was a list with scores, and as you can see - there's pure random (me and my visavi are highlighted in bold)

Entrant

Score

SevenThirtySeven - Union Workshop 23.41
Infern0 - THUD! 21.80
icatsai - Round 1 OSL 21.30
Octavus - Hunters of the Abyssal Woods 21.23
Demonn Agram 21.12
Stark - The Gorgone's Tear 20.59
Whirler - Phoenix Ablaze 20.42
Dirty - A tale of fire and mice 19.78
Buntman - UnBEARable Truth 19.74
LilmissWarhammer - Great Balls of Fire 19.69
Bozydar - Alt Rafkin Magic in the Dark Forest 19.57

I voted, got a success message and I'm all happy, but the poll seems to be willing to allow me to vote again... did I not do it right? Or is it designed not to close after submitting your votes?

Does anyone else have the option to return to the voting options and go again? I think I done messed up because it seems odd to let people vote multiple times...

1 minute ago, Whirler said:

@Stark I believe the matchup was 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, and so on. So you were 6th vs 11th. There is an outline in the announcement post.

This is correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

Actually it's not)

There was a list with scores, and as you can see - there's pure random (me and my visavi are highlighted in bold)

6) Stark - The Gorgone's Tear 20.59

11) Bozydar - Alt Rafkin Magic in the Dark Forest 19.57

Maybe I was not clear enough. the best matches the last. The second vs. the second last.

So the sum is always 17. As it is in your case. I may be mistaken, but the pairings I looked at are that way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maulwurfmann said:

I voted for everyone and closed the tab. Where can i see the results and if my vote worked? Cause i could open the site and vote again?

I quote myself, because i didn´t get an answer...

9 minutes ago, Maulwurfmann said:

I quote myself, because i didn´t get an answer...

When you voted and return to the page, the current results are shown instead of the voting UI

If you still can vote, I assume, your votes have been unsuccessful.

@sycorax your vote has gone through.  We will make sure to purge any double voters if that is an issue.

@Maulwurfmann your vote also went through.  As for the viewing results just click on "Show Results" at the bottom of the poll.  It will let you see numbers for everything.

as others have said, the people who vote in these contests heavily favor dioramas which is unfortunate because some really skillful painters are going to loose because they submitted a single mini against an average diorama. I am inclined to vote for the one with more skill.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kai said:

@sycorax your vote has gone through.  We will make sure to purge any double voters if that is an issue.

I honestly hadn't thought double voting would be an issue. I highly doubt anyone here would purposely skew the results just because they can, they're all too nice and friendly!

I just found it odd because most polls I've come across close down once you've entered your choices. But then I've never done a poll on these forums before.

All is good.

7 minutes ago, Zatch said:

as others have said, the people who vote in these contests heavily favor dioramas which is unfortunate because some really skillful painters are going to loose because they submitted a single mini against an average diorama. I am inclined to vote for the one with more skill.

Exactly this. I don't think of myself exactly of a skillful painter, but I do paint my minis mostly for playing Malifaux, and I don't really do dioramas. So it is definitely unfortunate for me :D

I did vote for the quality of miniatures first as well, but it seems the vast majority of voters do not do that. I didn't really stand a chance of making it to the end anyway, but still my disappointment remains...

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Zatch said:

Even though we're past round one, I tended to vote on the basis of the original round. Which is better in terms of theme, technique and lastly overall impact. Dioramas only get an advantage in theme if being a diorama helps the theme - they get no consideration for just being an extra big base, plus an advantage in overall impact (but only then if things are relatively even in the first two categories).

• Like 2

I finished my voting...man, is hard to choose...are really good works. I saw some that are actually silver...or gold level even...is just luck that depends the theme of every round...and now also the pairings...but, the most important thing you got to realize...is all the stuff we are learning...this kind of comoetition, at least for me, push me to learn and improve myself...that maybe in other way i wouldn’t think of doing it. 

• Like 4

Well, I didn't fully get the way how the voting system works. The winners of the second-round-bronze-pair-voting will continue the contest, then winners of 3rd will do and so go on until There Will Be Only One? But loosers can paint after elimination for "I Think I Can" and their joy? Am I right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nikshe said:

Well, I didn't fully get the way how the voting system works. The winners of the second-round-bronze-pair-voting will continue the contest, then winners of 3rd will do and so go on until There Will Be Only One? But loosers can paint after elimination for "I Think I Can" and their joy? Am I right?

Yup that's exactly it. One would assume there will be a separate gallery for the Eliminated. 

Although i think if there are DNFs in silver and gold some people will move up a bracket

Some really really good entries in bronze. Well done guys!
I had to go look up each image for most entries so i could zoom in to actually see the level of painting so maybe next time, instead of (or in addition to) having the small photo, perhaps put a link to the proper sized photo?

• Like 2

Voted for the bronze, so many great works! And good luck for the judges, it will be a tough job to write all these feedbacks.

• Like 1

I thought Iron Painter was about striving to become better at the hobby, not about categories.
In bronze we as a community vote for entries, so a simple choice of colors and a mediocre paintjob on a simple display piece can make a world of change. Making a nicer collage in a photoshop can make a world of change, as can a choice of popular miniature genre.
Technical skill in my opinion is preparing your model (planning, sketching, assembly, cleaning the miniature from mold leftovers, closing the gaps etc.), basing and painting the model (building a display piece and converting included), photographing your miniature/model/diorama/terrain/display base with models.

All this talk of unfairness towards putting a diorama as a special sideshow category irks me quite a bit, especially in this round when the theme focuses heavily on building display sets.
I remember seeing similar talk last year and this is exactly the thing that puts some of the contestants off from ever participating again in this contests and it robs us from seeing greatness.

I didn't vote this round on a purely tehnical skill, but I voted on bold artistic decisions I've seen some people take.
In my own opinion some people suffered from losing points because most people don't consider style, artistic acumen, storytelling. I believe being a judge is a difficult position and a lot of people who are long in this hobby will have quite different ways of judging just between themselves, so judging from a wider audience will be mostly for overall look, or some preset set of categories that can have different meaning for every single voter.
Slapping down dioramas takes away from a big number of jaw dropping dioramas that have been made for this round of the contest and it seems disrespectful.

I apologize if this post is inappropriate.
I commented since I didn't drop out from the contest this year and I found myself called out (I've built a mediocre looking diorama in the previous round).

• Like 2