Kai

Round Two Voting - Information

1 minute ago, Guslado said:

Is there the restriction on voting to participants and forum members who have 10 or more posts like there was for 1st round voting?

Yes.  Or to be a participant in Iron Painter

• Like 1

Voting went like a breeze this time around for the most part.
I had a bit mind-breaking to do over a few entry pairinigs, but it's mostly easy to vote this early on.
I suppose it'll be tougher later on.

A lot of great works all around!
I'm off to check out silver and gold.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Linus Mcmold said:

Voting went like a breeze this time around for the most part.
I had a bit mind-breaking to do over a few entry pairinigs, but it's mostly easy to vote this early on.
I suppose it'll be tougher later on.

A lot of great works all around!
I'm off to check out silver and gold.

It was much quicker to do with them head to head this time instead of giving each a full score. I did have to go to the gallery to see larger images for many of the entries to better compare them.

• Like 2

Head to Head voting was a way better experience than scoring in round 1. Having the gallery built in was way nicer too. Also, thanks @Kai for using the good image of my submission over the frantic phone pic. 😅

I think it must be a link to a picture instead of an actual picture in the poll. Because of too width or too height pictures in ugly quality now and if it has no huge waves of water or not diorama, and just has an accurate splash or wet surface that can not be seen. I see few of such works, include mine. If you give people opportunity to not go to a link, they will not link even if they can, some work become in a losing position. And previously vote system (0-25 in three aspects for each work and with links instead of pics) was be much fairer.

Or just give users ability to zoom the image to see more detail. Just advice to future, because right now too much people complete voting and situation will not changing @Kai

• Like 1

I got my votes in. Interesting that it will show you the scores after you are done. I got a few votes, so I am happy. Once I seen my opponent, I knew it was over. It is a little lopsided when you have a massive diorama versus a single mini, but that has always been complain of the contest. At least, now that I am out, the gloves come off and magic really shines. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LordZombie said:

I got my votes in. Interesting that it will show you the scores after you are done. I got a few votes, so I am happy. Once I seen my opponent, I knew it was over. It is a little lopsided when you have a massive diorama versus a single mini, but that has always been complain of the contest. At least, now that I am out, the gloves come off and magic really shines. 

I would of thought matching up people with like scores in the first round would be more logical in terms of even match ups. Looking at the voting there is definitely some mis matches unfortunately. But I suspect by the 4th round they will almost be non existent.

8 hours ago, neoezekiel said:

Head to Head voting was a way better experience than scoring in round 1. Having the gallery built in was way nicer too. Also, thanks @Kai for using the good image of my submission over the frantic phone pic. 😅

But being unable to click for bigger image is very sad

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LordZombie said:

Indeed, in my limited experience, I had this same problem last year. Diorama seems to always trump single mini, I have to admit I am a bit disappointed and, like last year, I believe these should be in separate categories.

• Like 5

Voted.

Like others, I noticed in the results, that Dioramas get much better votes than single Miniatures. I think, this is a bit unfortunate, because the voting guidelines state 1-10 for technical skill and 1-5 for overall impression. I see works losing even though they have way better technical quality than the opponent.

The quality of the shown picture supports this. It is hard to see the technical quality if you have a pixeled picture. Please provide a link to the higher quality picture in the voting page. You simply don't look up all the hi-res images when you have to search for them first.

I am also a bit sad for all good works losing against a very good work. There are some duels with low quality. And then you have to kick out a good work just because the alternative is even better. It hurts. But I suppose thats the nature of random duels. Iron voting. Not for the faint at heart.

Keep up the good work! This round was even better than the first.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

Indeed, in my limited experience, I had this same problem last year. Diorama seems to always trump single mini, I have to admit I am a bit disappointed and, like last year, I believe these should be in separate categories.

Totally agree. In the last year I understood that Iron Painter is not about miniature paintings, but totally about diorama building. I was miniature painter all my life so then I loose, but in this year I tried making dioramas and it's quiet fun! 

But though - it needs to be separated - dioramas and single miniatures. That's different stories and many new people who participating in IP first time can easily misunderstand that contest of dioramas(

About voting - I think it's quite well executed! Only 2 options for vote - very fast and comfortable solution!)

This round of voting was much smoother than the first. Having everything on one page without the need to follow links and search for entries makes the whole experience much simpler and more enjoyable. Kudos for making it so. Some entries could benefit from having a bigger picture though, other than that I like the new system much better overall. Good luck to everyone in round 2.

• Like 1

Echoing similar thoughts as above that dioramas tend to triumph over single models, especially since they just make the overall look more impressive. In Total testosterone and Femme fatale, they were separated categories, but here they're not. Perhaps the intent really is for more impressive display pieces. 

Voting is fast and simple! Agreed again that having larger photos would be great, but I believe this is manually done by Kai, so it's already a lot of hard work. Expecting links and larger image sizes (especially when everyone is uploading images of different sizes) is even more work that may be unrealistic.

Perhaps a better approach moving forward is simply to dictate a particular photo dimension for all submissions. It is then up to you how to highlight your piece that way. 

• Like 3