Gremlin Crier - Rules Q

Cadaver_Junkie

Hi all!

Question about the Gremlin Crier (which I think is an AMAZING model, both in hobby and play terms. Especially the one with the bell, my favourite).
I've just grabbed a box of three, plan to run at least one in my new Zipp crew, with Iron Skeeters dropping them on objectives.

So;

The Over Excited Ability - can you draw multiple cards with multiple Gremlin Criers, for every single card discarded?

From the front of the card:
Over Exited

"When a friendly model within 3" (Aura) of one or more models with this Ability discards one or more cards as the result of a friendly Ability or Action, this model may suffer 1 damage to draw a card. If this model's controller has six or more cards in hand after resolving this Ability, this model suffers 1 additional damage."

The thing is, a Gremlin Crier Over Exited Ability is potentially triggered if a friendly discard is made within the 3" Aura of ANY Gremlin Crier on the field. "One or more models with this Ability", not "This model".

That could be a massive amount of card draw over the game, especially if you heal these guys as you go, inbuilt zero action or otherwise.

Makes sense in a way, Gremlin Criers calling out the news to each other...

Thoughts? I've only been playing Malifaux a little while, so maybe I've missed something.

EDIT: I mean, have someone discard to go defensive, and draw two or three cards in return! Nice. I like having all the 13's and Jokers in my hand.

EDIT EDIT: If this topic has already been covered, my apologies

How are you planning on "healing as you go" when you damage multiple criers at the same time?  

On the other hand, Wyrd has a peculiar style for writing the auras the contain the word "one or more".  Compared to those other, similarly worded effects:

• "discards one or more cards" means you only resolve the ability once, regardless of how many cards are discarded
  • "within :aura3 of one or more models with this ability" means that you only get to resolve the ability once (pick one eligible instance of the ability), not once per Gremlin Crier in existence at the time

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, solkan said:

How are you planning on "healing as you go" when you damage multiple criers at the same time?  

They can heal themselves, plus I'll probably be running Fingers etc. Also, not too fussed if they die, so long as they get their task done, whatever that may be.

18 minutes ago, solkan said:

On the other hand, Wyrd has a peculiar style for writing the auras the contain the word "one or more".  Compared to those other, similarly worded effects:

• "discards one or more cards" means you only resolve the ability once, regardless of how many cards are discarded
  • "within :aura3 of one or more models with this ability" means that you only get to resolve the ability once (pick one eligible instance of the ability), not once per Gremlin Crier in existence at the time

Is there an FAQ or something I can refer to? Apologies if this is really basic stuff, and cheers for the assist...

11 minutes ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Is there an FAQ or something I can refer to? Apologies if this is really basic stuff, and cheers for the assist...

Part of your question is answered by pointing you to the Aura rules.  By default, you resolve every instance of an aura that's in range.  For instance, the stacking example in the rule book is the Canine Remains ability Hunting Dogs.  If you're within 3 Hunting Dog auras, all three apply.

When you add the words "one or more models with this ability", the ability does less, not more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, solkan said:

Part of your question is answered by pointing you to the Aura rules.  By default, you resolve every instance of an aura that's in range.  For instance, the stacking example in the rule book is the Canine Remains ability Hunting Dogs.  If you're within 3 Hunting Dog auras, all three apply.

When you add the words "one or more models with this ability", the ability does less, not more.

Nice, cheers. 

6 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

"When a friendly model within 3" (Aura) of one or more models with this Ability discards one or more cards as the result of a friendly Ability or Action, this model may suffer 1 damage to draw a card. If this model's controller has six or more cards in hand after resolving this Ability, this model suffers 1 additional damage."

I agree with Solkan up to a certain point:

"When a friendly model within 3" (Aura) of one or more models with this Ability" ensures that you do not get to use the ability more than once even if the friendly model is in more than one aura.

"discards one or more cards as the result of a friendly Ability or Action" ensures that you do not get to use the ability more than once even if several cards are discarded.

But there is nothing that says that only one model with the ability is allowed to use it for any single discard. It might be intended to work that way, but then they probably should have written it explicitly, as usually you are allowed to use an ability on more than one model on the same triggering condition.

• 3 weeks later...

A follow up question: if the crier has "this makes no sense" up and your opponent has its frame for murder target in the crier's aura when it is killed, I assume your opponent does not score from it? 

This came up in a game tonight and that was how we interpreted it on a 2:1 basis. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
On 20/10/2017 at 2:22 AM, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Follow up question. If a friendly model in the 3:aura cheats fate, can you draw a card?

The rules says the first card is discarded when you cheat, but it seems dubious.

19 minutes ago, Le gob said:

Follow up question. If a friendly model in the 3:aura cheats fate, can you draw a card?

The rules says the first card is discarded when you cheat, but it seems dubious.

I think it only refers to actual discard effects. Every duel results in you discarding the cards used which wouls.make them insanely op compared to other card draws.

Most discards are done by you as the player, not the model itself. Aome actions state that the model discards a card, those are the only ones this affects.

• Like 1