Sanctioned and Tutored.

WWHSD

I was looking at using the Sanctioned Spellcasters with Sandeep for their movement effect stopping 0 action. I was wondering if putting them in a crew with Sandeep running Tutelage makes sense. If Sandeep drops the the Gamin that gives :+fate near them and then gives them the tutored condition Sandeep and any Henchmen you bring can use The Collar to throw out attacks with :+fate:+fate.

Is that worth doing? It seems like the Sanctioned Spellcaster's ranged attack would be as good or better than the ranged attack from Sandeep or most Henchmen. Is it too much setup? I'm figuring it might get used once or twice in a game and not be the go to move the entire game. 

• 1 month later...

I gave this a shot tonight and it worked well enough. It took me awhile to realize it but Kandara can use her zero action to take the :+fate flip gamin buff and use her AP to make the tutored Sanctioned Spellcaster attack. This puts the :+fate flip on a model that’s more mobile, more durable, and that still has an option to spend AP offensively.

• Like 2

You think the Sanctioned's attack is as good or better than Sandeep's?  Triggers are nice, but not built in and situational.  No gun icon and higher mod/severe for Deep. The no gun icon has always been very useful for me, since most of my opponents use cover very well, and I don't always take Unaligned sage for engagement targeting bubble.

1 hour ago, SevenThirtySeven said:

You think the Sanctioned's attack is as good or better than Sandeep's?  Triggers are nice, but not built in and situational.  No gun icon and higher mod/severe for Deep. The no gun icon has always been very useful for me, since most of my opponents use cover very well, and I don't always take Unaligned sage for engagement targeting bubble.

You're only quoting part of what I wrote. "It seems like the Sanctioned Spellcaster's ranged attack would be as good or better than the ranged attack from Sandeep or most Henchmen." is what you are referencing.

I do think that it is at least as good in a lot of circumstances if you compare the Sanctioned Spellcaster's attack with :+fate:+fate flips to Sandeep's Arcane Storm without any :+fate to flip. Especially if you are planning on using your hand for something other than cheating attack flips. Compared to the ranged attacks of most Arcanist Henchmen, the Sanctioned Spellcaster's ranged attack with :+fate:+fate is flat out better.

There's no doubt that Arcane Storm is a better attack. Like you wrote, the damage track is better and it's not projectile. You probably don't want Sandeep making the Sanctioned Spellcaster attack every turn but under the right circumstances, it's a nice tool to have.

Sandeep making the Spellcaster attack gives a different vector of attack and gets range and LoS to a target that he wouldn't have been able to attack himself. It also means that Sandeep doesn't need to crowd in to get :+fate flips from the Gamin that is holding that buff.  A Ca 2/3/4 ranged attack with :+fate:+fate is still pretty solid even if you don't hit one of the triggers.    

If you don't have Unaligned Sage, then it doesn't matter what the Sanctioned Spellcaster's attack is since he won't be in the crew.