Tournament Advice

DeadManTalking

I'm attending a tournament this next weekend and I'm kinda in a bind. Having just recently switched to Guild I don't have many models available to me, and due to there being no information on whether or not they are requiring painted models my pool is even less. Luckily I have a friend who is willing to let me borrow his stuff so that I don't have to switch back to Neverborn (unfortunately I don't believe he has any wave 4 or 5 models). So I'm trying to come up with one maybe two lists that are Jack-of-all-trade that share some models so that I don't have to make my friend lug a whole ton of stuff just for me. The other major issue is I don't know what any of the schemes or strategies are going to be.

Here's the one list I've come up with so far...

Perdita- 7 cache, Fastest Draw, Trick Shooting, Vengeance Bullet

Enslaved Nephilim

Frank- Debt to the Guild

Peacekeeper- Debt to the Guild

Guardian

Brutal Effigy

2x Guild Hound

Hmm... in my opinion, Perdita is probably one of the few Guild masters that doesn't have much need for the Guardian.  Since Frank gets her to Df9, not much should be getting through that.  Similarly, I don't think Frank needs DttG, and I'd rather see it traded out for Wade in or Hermanos.  Since you don't know the schemes, I'd see if you could get Nino in there (with Numb to the World) to stop opponent scheming so you can focus on killing.  Maybe throw in a Pistolero, and Abuela can marry off the Peacekeeper for more Family models.  Also, with the dogs, its three or none.  If I see two dogs, I'm killing one and the other's useless.

Edit:  if you can up the number of Family models, Aura Ancestral is a much better upgrade than Vengeance Bullet for Dita.

So it will be GG 2017, I wont know the schemes until the day of which sucks but Strats will be posted at some point this week. As far as models I'm not 100% sure what all my friend has so I'll have to talk to him. I would assume almost everything wave 3 and prior.

9 hours ago, The Governor-General said:

Hmm... in my opinion, Perdita is probably one of the few Guild masters that doesn't have much need for the Guardian.

The Guardian is actually more for Frank or the Peacekeeper.

So, I love the Guardian normally, but I think you'll find he's a little slow in a Family crew, if you decide to go that direction.  Using his Protect action on Franc is great, but I think you'll find similar levels of durability from Wade In, which is a lot cheaper.  I definitely don't think the Peacekeeper needs Protect, despite the low Df, as Armor 2, HtW, and Terrifying (Living), plus his wound count can deal with a lot of incoming hate.  To borrow a 40K term, the Peacekeeper is a Distraction Carnifex, and if you make him too defensible, the enemy will just ignore him rather than expend resources to kill him (and hopefully fail!).  With Dita at Df9, and the Peacekeeper defensive +2, anyone with an attack will naturally go for Francisco, and ultimately you want your opponent stuck between two bad choices, not one obviously beneficial one.  If it were me, I'd scrap the Gaurdian for Abuela, so she can marry off the Peacekeeper, and increase your Family numbers.  That's all assuming you have access to these models, of course.  

I think you have a chance without knowing the scheme pool, but your best bet is to utilize the scheme denial of Nino with Family, and then kill off the opposing crew.  That way a limited crew build can get your through most potential scenarios.

The guardian goes well with Wade In, they should be used together with the guardian healing Franc up from htk and also applying defensive which can be quite nice. Suit dependant but on a pretty low card at least. Not saying it's always the best choice but it goes well with him in some lists.

I mean I think monster hunters are pretty great. Psudo armor and +1 damage vs cost 7+ is pretty awesome. Also I think the enslaved nephilim is great with McTavish. Push 6 then take a sh action with him is nice (use dogs for scheme markers). 

I'm thinking:

50 SS Guild Crew

Perdita Ortega + 2 Pool
 - Trick Shooting (2)
 - Fastest Draw in Malifaux (1)
Enslaved Nephilim (3)
McTavish (11)
 - A Debt To The Guild (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
 - Wade In (1)
Monster Hunter (6)
Monster Hunter (6)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)
Brutal Effigy (4)

Lightish on stones (but two debt ). if you want more stones you could ditch the hounds... 

Having stalk and two models with the creep up on them + obey isn't bad. (3ap for 1ap+a (0))

16 hours ago, lame0 said:

50 SS Guild Crew

Perdita Ortega + 2 Pool
 - Trick Shooting (2)
 - Fastest Draw in Malifaux (1)
Enslaved Nephilim (3)
McTavish (11)
Francisco Ortega (8)
 - Wade In (1)
Monster Hunter (6)
Monster Hunter (6)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)
Brutal Effigy (4)

Lightish on stones (but two debt ). if you want more stones you could ditch the hounds... 

Having stalk and two models with the creep up on them + obey isn't bad. (3ap for 1ap+a (0))

I would totally go for Monster hunters if I had access to them but I don't. I also wish I could take the Jury.

Sorry for double post here. I just found out that there is no painting requirement for the tournament which is nice because it means I can bring a few more models. So for my second Master I'm going to bring Nellie. I have a list I've been using with her regularly, and I've been struggling with it so if you guys have any suggestions...

50 SS Guild Crew
Nellie Cochrane + 6 Pool
 - Delegation (1)
 - Misleading Headlines (1)
 - Guild Funds (1)
The Printing Press (3)
McTavish (11)
Phiona Gage (8)
 - Transparency (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
 - Wade In (1)
 - Diestro (3)
Field Reporter (4)
Field Reporter (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

9 hours ago, Sandmann said:

If you go with Guild Funds, consider a Watcher to farm soulstones in the first round(s) and scheme later on.
And Phiona should maybe have Wrath of the Guild - when I play her, It's basically stapled to her card.

So something more like this? 

50 SS Guild Crew
Nellie Cochrane + 7 Pool
 - Delegation (1)
 - Guild Funds (1)
The Printing Press (3)
Hannah (11)
Phiona Gage (8)
 - Transparency (1)
 - Wrath of The Guild (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
 - Wade In (1)
Field Reporter (4)
Watcher (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

This leaves me with at least 2 stones to add upgrades to Frank and Hannah, or would you add another 4 stone model?

I’m going to disagree that Wrath of the Guild is a requirement on Phiona.  I’ve stopped using it entirely, and her damage output hasn’t really changed. You’re going to use her a lot to hit things out of her activation (via Nellie), and the number of 3 damage attacks is enough. I’d drop that, take no more than her cache of 4 soul stones, and fit another model in. Activation control is key for Nellie, having a lot of models, along with the ability to “pass” is ideal. 

• Like 1

I've stopped taking Wrath too.  I quite like debt to the guild of I've got the stones spare, but often its just transparency if it's a scheme marker based pool.

Most stones I take with Nellie tends to be 5.  I've normally got 3 x debt to the guild which adds more later on.

This was my usual embedded list with Nellie. 

50 SS Guild Crew
Nellie Cochrane + 4 Pool
 - Delegation (1)
 - Embedded (1)
The Printing Press (3)
McTavish (10)
 - Numb To The World (1)
Phiona Gage (8)
 - Transparency (1)
Burt Jebsen (7)
Johan (6)
Brutal Effigy (4)
Watcher (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Its quite hitty which suits my playstyle.

Id change some things up depending on faction/pool I was facing.  Anna Lovelace was often going into Ten Thunders when I thought they'd be focusing on pushing. Taelor into Ressers.  Field Reporters and Performers if I need scheme marker manipulation. 

I'll probably run embedded Nellie less now weve got the great options wave 5 has given us. Looking forward to Monster Hunters, Jury and Quellers with her

24 minutes ago, STO said:

Great point re Phiona - Abuela tacticks, thx!

I have noticed that  McTavish and Burt can be found in Guild list recently, what do you find them better than our Guild models ?

They get extra attacks which translates to a lot of damage, especially with debt to the guild.

On 20/10/2017 at 7:55 AM, STO said:

Great point re Phiona - Abuela tacticks, thx!

I have noticed that  McTavish and Burt can be found in Guild list recently, what do you find them better than our Guild models ?

I'll only run them with embedded Nellie. 

Fast, reckless Bert when he burns debt for potentially 4 min 4 attacks is too good to pass up.  And we have some good slippery targets with the printing press or traps if I include the pathfinder.

Same with McTavish for potentially 4 shots a turn, with his high damage spike he can delete a model fairly efficiently, sometimes if I don't think I'll need Johans 3" melee to lock things down ill swap him out for papa loco, he can hide behind McTavish and give him the pos to damage which really ups his efficiency.

• Thanks 1