ExiledBison

Question

The Unstable Lair ability of Shadow lair states that "The second time it suffers damage (from unstable lair), discard this upgrade".

My assumption was that the damage has to come from a single instance of this upgrade.  If Shadow lair is removed before a total of 2 damage is dealt by Unstable Lair (say by Dart Out, or other means), then the count is reset, and begins again if Shadow Lair is attached to the same model later in the game.

But it is never specified that the count is reset.  So if a model takes 1 damage, Shadow Lair is removed, and then some time later (perhaps even later that same turn) shadow lair is reattached to the same creature, does the damage from Unstable Lair trigger the "second time if suffers damage" clause?

If it does, would this mean that if Shadow Lair were then reattached to a creature that had already suffered 2 damage no longer be affected, since they are now taking damage for a third time?

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, ExiledBison said:

The Unstable Lair ability of Shadow lair states that "The second time it suffers damage (from unstable lair), discard this upgrade".

My assumption was that the damage has to come from a single instance of this upgrade.  If Shadow lair is removed before a total of 2 damage is dealt by Unstable Lair (say by Dart Out, or other means), then the count is reset, and begins again if Shadow Lair is attached to the same model later in the game.

Stop right here, and take the reasonable interpretation of a rule is the correct one.  

Otherwise there's the issue that the rules forum rules prohibit devil's advocacy.

• Like 1

I find your reply unreasonably dismissive.

But both myself any my opponent feel like we are taking the reasonable interpretation.  If anything, my interpretation is the weaker one, while his is the stronger if you look at the rules as written.

Before you say don't play with opponents like that, not all of us have a large pool of players to choose from.