Yu and Terracotta

TeddyBear

Question

From Pmf:

(shenlong/Sensei Yu)

However, there is another trick with the both of them. With the Promising Disciple upgrade, Sensei Yu can attach any upgrade that Shenlong discards, regardless of restrictions. Using Ancient Treasures on Shenlong to discard his starting upgrades and replace them with others allows Sensei Yu to pick up those starting upgrades, potentially running around with as many as 5 upgrade.

Could someone pls explain to me this trick?

I also don't understand "potentially running around with as many as 5 upgrade".. because from proming disciple upgrade: "if this model has more than one Limited upgrade attached, it must immediately discard one of them" but all upgrade are Limited unless  words on the river?!?

many thanks

8 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, TeddyBear said:

Thanks!! 

in fact, it's just "when shelong discard".. so?!?

So Sensei Yu can't have 5 upgrades from the TCW swapping around Shenlong's upgrades. He could have 5 upgrades if he started with promising disciple, some 2nd upgrade, and Death Contract, then Shenlong swaps out his style upgrade and uses Blot Out The Sky's discard effect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I blieve Sensei Yu can attach upgrades that Shenlong discards, not upgrades that the terracotta discards from Shenlong. There is a difference between which model is doing the discarding. 

139) If Sensei Yu has the Promising Disciple Upgrade, and Hans discards one of Shenlong’s Upgrades, can Sensei Yu attach it? No. Sensei Yu may attach Upgrades discarded by Shenlong; the Upgrade was discarded by Hans.

Relevant FAQ answer which implies this is the correct way. It's particularly embarrassing because I think I wrote that bit of PMF :s I'm gonna go and get rid of it now!

• Like 2

Even though the current consensus is that Sensei Yu cannot use Shenlong's upgrades when the Terracotta warrior switches them (the semantic difference is lost on me, he had an upgrade, it was discarded, it should go to Yu imo, but no need to rehash that argument here), you can still stack them on Yu by himself.

Eg. Start with Death Contract and Promising Disciple. Shenlog discards a River Style card, which Yu picks up. Terracotta W switches that upgrade for a non-stance one, lets say Equality. Then next turn, Shenlong discards another River Style upgrade, which Terracotta turns into something else, lets say Smoke Grenades. Finally, Shenlong discards another River Style. Now Senesi Yu has Death Contract, Promising Disciple, Equality, Smoke Grenades and whichever River Stance he got last. Presto, five upgrades, 2 of which were generated during the game. Of course, if we wanted to push the point, Shenlong could start with Blot the Sky, and Broken Promises, both of which go to Yu when used, and the Terracotta W might as well turn Shenlong's last River Stance into Recalled as well, and then you could theoretically have eight upgrades. The previous five plus Blot, Broken and Recalled. And then if he plays into Jack Daw, he can carry another 3, which at 11 is I think is the highest possible number outside of campaign play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Darkvenom said:

Dude, there are other non limited upgrades you can use for that: misdirection, recalled training, etc...

sorry, but that doesn't explain the trick..

how do you have Yu with 5 upgrades when terracotta attach an upgrade and discard another?

probably i don't understand something..