New Nico Zahmbies

PirateCaptain

So I've tried this crew a couple times, first game vs. Ramos with mages and spiders, game was super close as I was figuring out activation orders and all that jazz, and I made a couple mistakes with my summoning choices, but definitely could have won if I was better and didn't get outplayed was good fun all around, 2nd game was against Lady J, he didn't push hard enough early on and I was able to snowball to a 9-1 win.

Looking for peoples thoughts on what to replace Mortimer with, or opinions if it's worth keeping, basically you end up making your opponent choke on mindless zombies (who can straight up murder things, they ended up doing most of the damage to lady J and did the last hit), and summon what is needed to score the schemes you took.  As it stands at the end of Turn 1 you'll have either 5 or 6 addl models, and it's pretty easy to keep the chain going.

Current crew is looking like:
Nicodem (Circling Buzzards, Undertaker, Maniacal Laugh)

Vulture

Mortimer (Corpse Bloat, My little Helper)

Anna Lovelace

Asura Rotten (My little Helper)

Carrion Emissary (Conflux of death)

So going down the initial concepts boiling in my mindspace:

Circling Buzzards is super clutch, making sure the mindless zombies aren't slow is huge, they need to be able to pull their weight, and being able to summon another vulture if the one dies is huge  (Edit:  Circling buzzards calls out non-vulture totems, so you can have multiple vultures in play at a time)

Mortimer is debatable, basically turn one he pops helper, rips out his spleen twice and digs up a bone so you get 3 mindless zombies, after that he just regens, digs, and rips every turn to make more zombies, and when he inevitably dies he'll turn into another mindless zombie because of my little helper, and if needed he can help move stuff up the board with his little gun thing, but mostly he dies and nets like, 14-16 points in zombies? though many will be sac'd to summon off of... not sure if worth yet, could be corpse bloat on someone else (edited, he can't kill himself with spleen ripping)

Anna Lovelace, is good, rush of magic is great, the chance to make a zombie off a shot is nice too, stopping pushes and places is nice, she's pretty good, could get cut, not sure for what yet, need more testing still

Asura, basically what really turns this up to 11, lets the zombies punch stuff really good, and makes a zombie further up the board, she's amazing all around

Carrion Emissary, gives the mindless zombies another + ML

In the end the mindless zombies are ML 9-10 avg. and min 2 damage, and not slow

Pretty sure if you fight something super aggro the combo gets picked down, otherwise I think there's potential in the concept, thoughts, suggestions?

I'm mostly dreading facing this in every game from now on. Nico finds a good safespot in his deployment and blocks of dangerous angles with a few models and then just kicks this engine into action. I don't do alpha strikes because I don't like killing the enemy master turn 1. It's tough to find any other way of handling this.

• Like 1

Interesting concept. Will have to try that sometime, as I love that 'zombie wave' feeling.

Why does Asura need MLH? Wouldn't she use up the Quarantine Marker that gets placed every round right away? MLH would only allow her to 'save' up a marker, and then use two in the same turn, no?

Or am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, Mutter said:

Oh, and since the Vulture isn't rare, wouldn't you be able to have more than one in play?

since it's a totem you only get 1 at a time

and on Asura's MLH is because she's a huge target, so popping it to keep her safe one turn is huge, if they take her out the mindless zombies become mostly useless

6 minutes ago, PirateCaptain said:

since it's a totem you only get 1 at a time

The RB says: A Crew may only hire one model with the Totem characteristic.

It's only the Rare 1 characteristic which stops you summoning more, normally. Not in this case, though.

As to the initial question about Mortimer: I think he's worth it. 3 Zombies turn 1 is powerful to get the engine started, and when I researched Nico, I didn't really find any other good carriers of Corpse Bloat. Archie was somebody I considered, but really too expensive.

And I like Mortimer for the other stuff he brings as well: No interacts for the opponent, speeding up your Undead, and his attack isn't too bad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mutter said:

The RB says: A Crew may only hire one model with the Totem characteristic.

It's only the Rare 1 characteristic which stops you summoning more, normally. Not in this case, though.

Fair enough, i stand corrected, but I do believe there's something that prevents it, i don't remember off the top of my head, it may have been the upgrade itself preventing multiple vultures, i'll double check, cause two would be awesome

EDIT: I totally misunderstood it, this got way better, the upgrade only kills non-vulture totems when you summon a new vulture, so yes you can have multiple vultures

2 hours ago, PirateCaptain said:

and when he does kill himself ripping out his spleen

A very minor point that won't alter the final outcome but the upgrade specifically say you can't do this if the model has less than 4 wounds or lower, so you can't kill him with it.

• Like 2

Thoughts and suggestions? Initially I was hyped by this interaction; the Asura + Emissary tag team. Nowadays, seeing what it's capable of... nah, I kind of respect my opponents too much to play this.

When a Peon that takes very little effort to summon (in some cases no effort) can swing at Ml 10 something's very wrong lol. Even if your opponent kills 5 of them, Nicodem gets 5 cards for free and summons all 5 back as soon as he actives again.

If it appeals to you, play it while you can before GG2018 comes in and makes Peons a liability or before gets nerfed by Wyrd (which I think it should).

16 hours ago, PirateCaptain said:

In the end the mindless zombies are ML 9-10 avg. and min 2 damage, and not slow

But only 1 punch per turn right?
To be honest i lost track of the discussion on how to handle the asura attacks on other undead. My latest impression was 1 Attack per activation.
Right?

Hands from Below is also a Ml attack. Which means you can attack once with Undead Minions, and then once with Hands from Below. With that many MZ, you can basically immobilize any model pretty quickly.

I find Hands from Below actually almost more powerful, since it's range 10.

3 hours ago, Daysleeper said:

That was the point of a larger discussion ... i'm not sure what the result of that discussion was?

I agree with the reading it's only 1 attack total per activation, not one option, but I don't know if we came to a consensus on that. Might be worth bringing to the Rules forum as it seems a common question/issue. 

Has anybody played Asura with Rotten Belles? With all the lures they can get out and the fact that any pounces they do (outside of their activation or the first one in their activation) they can use Asura's attack. And as you can summon belles in it shouldn't be too difficult to start picking off enemy models real quick.

1 hour ago, feagaur said:

Has anybody played Asura with Rotten Belles? With all the lures they can get out and the fact that any pounces they do (outside of their activation or the first one in their activation) they can use Asura's attack. And as you can summon belles in it shouldn't be too difficult to start picking off enemy models real quick.

I think they can only borrow Asura's attack during their activations 

Based on the claim that this is the text from the book

"Residents of Rottenburg: Friendly Undead models within 12" and LoS may take Ml Actions printed on this model's stat card,
but they can only 
take one Action printed on this model's statcard per activation and cannot declare triggers"

You will be limited to 1 action per activation. So yes you can let a belle use it during a pounce attack. But then no other actions that activation can be from her card. 

No one is arguing the belle who is actually activating can use Asura's action during her activation.

What some people have argued is that Belles who are currently not activating, but are getting to attack with their pounce attack based on another Belle's lure also get to use Asura's actions. I personally regard that as nonsense but that's the interpretation I was responding to. If true that will only strengthen the case to have Asura nerfed.

• Like 1

5 belles pounce. Any one of them can use the action allowed by Resident of Rottenberg. But it as an ability allows one use of it per activation so only 1 could use it, and if you made a model move again during that activation no one could use residents on their pounce because you have already used the 1 use of it for that activation.