The Doctor Is Sin: Starting Themed McMourning

Jesy Blue

So I wanted to start Guild with the medical models and do a painted up matching crew.  I just didn't know if anyone else has ever done it and what to expect?
-----------------------------------
50 SS Guild Crew
McMourning + 7 Pool
 - On The Clock (1)
 - Plastic Surgery (1)
 - Evidence Tampering (2)
Zombie Chihuahua (2)
Dr. Grimwell (9)
 - Research Grant (1)
 - Numb To The World (1)
Nurse Heartsbane (8)
 - Disrupt Magic (2)
Orderly (5)
Nurse (5)
Nurse (5)
Orderly (5)

(exported from CrewFaux)
-------------------------------------
sure, I won't be the greatest crew, but I will be matching and thematic and it will make me happy for a little while.  And seriously, I can't be the only one to think of this, right?

• Like 2

I've seen this done a few times before. Not sure I've seen how they actually did in any games.

The orderlies can sheme run and heal back the damage they suffer if McMournibg uses poison to push them which is nice. It feels like a glass cannon list, you won't enjoy Sonnia or Rasputina. I would probably upgrade an orderly to Sebastian or replace nurse heartsbane with him. Sebastian does some wonderful things.

I thought about doing this crew as well, I love the creepy asylum style it could bring to the table. I don't think Sebastian would be completely out of place, stylewise, either, so you could have a bit of wiggle-room and try out different setups with the models from the two boxes.

If you have some money to spend and want some fitting terrain, check the Arkham Asylum from Knight Models (minus the too modern guard towers). 

• Like 2

Sebastian would fit really well. I think you have restricted your theme too much though. Witchling Thralls could represent your patients and synergise with injection placing scheme markers. Its not hard to imagine an executioner converted to appear more like a monstrous surgeon. If you can find a scalpel or something to replace the sword I imagine brutal emissary with a white coat would look great, double bonus if you replace the cage with a straightjacket.

Ditch evidence tampering for guild coroner, that will give you loads of easy scheme markers and will let you turn corpses into cards or stones.

• Like 3

Props to @Nukemouse for the excellent ideas!

The executioner could be "Dr Hackjob". Apart from the distinct head I think executioners make a great base for conversions, one of them already has an apron. I believe the reason the starter models are witch hunters is because they recondition the rogue mages Sonnia catches so the entire witch hunter theme should fit into the list with some concversions. Maybe the stalkers could be made with straitjackets? The thralls would ideally just be made in patient gowns so their butts showed, apart from that they seem to fit the bill of asylumn patients to me.

That emissary though, a goat psychiatrist? :D It's sort of a Scarecrow from Batman vibe I guess. 

Edit: Found a pic of a crew with Francisco, Nellie and an executioner that matches the others: C-scSIOVoAAw3Gk.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm doing the same, although I've only painted Grimwell at the moment.

A lawyer can also fit in there. You need someone to deal with malpractise suits, and a performer wouldn't be completely out of place, "but of course I'm an intern" *flutters eyelashes*. A reporter doing an "investigation", although more likely going to end up on MacMourning's slab, could be in theme too.

I'm going to use Simulcrum #27 as the Brutal Effigy, even though "technically" he's the proxy for the Carrion Emissary. Dual faction master, dual faction Emissary, I say.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Props to @Nukemouse for the excellent ideas!

The executioner could be "Dr Hackjob". Apart from the distinct head I think executioners make a great base for conversions, one of them already has an apron. I believe the reason the starter models are witch hunters is because they recondition the rogue mages Sonnia catches so the entire witch hunter theme should fit into the list with some concversions. Maybe the stalkers could be made with straitjackets? The thralls would ideally just be made in patient gowns so their butts showed, apart from that they seem to fit the bill of asylumn patients to me.

That emissary though, a goat psychiatrist? :D It's sort of a Scarecrow from Batman vibe I guess. 

Edit: Found a pic of a crew with Francisco, Nellie and an executioner that matches the others: C-scSIOVoAAw3Gk.jpg

That's my crew! I've got a bunch of the guild models converted to fit the theme.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Freman said:

With access to non-gamin Academics and Beasts now, I'm wondering if MacMourning is rivaling Leveticus for potential hiring pool, albeit spread over two factions.

Likely exceeds it, but yeah the faction split makes it a bit different, though levi is split between bone and iron.

3 hours ago, RustAndTheCity said:

That's my crew! I've got a bunch of the guild models converted to fit the theme.

Amazing work! Hope it didn't seem like I was passing it off as mine.

That crew along with the day of the dead Perdita are my absolute favourites when it comes to Malifaux crews. People seem to shy away from conversions normally.

37 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Amazing work! Hope it didn't seem like I was passing it off as mine.

That crew along with the day of the dead Perdita are my absolute favourites when it comes to Malifaux crews. People seem to shy away from conversions normally.

Haha, no. Not at all. It's neat to see them pop up. I've got a few more in the theme.

large.20170522_120056.jpg.4d74ea929b54b47e03afac7b2a2ff618.jpglarge.20170522_120430.jpg.9b6aa923a20251975a78a9ca7ac58ccf.jpglarge.group.jpg.135f3672d92e30bdaeb48e10bda45fe4.jpglarge.frank.jpg.8318a7f795e745e5fe21049e81ec222c.jpglarge.5836881936a01_Drcrew.jpg.98da526d9760bad44e0f62050a4e5295.jpg

I've played around 20 games with guild McMourning. Here are my two cents:

Brutal effigy is great as it gives McMourning more healing.

Nurse is nice for some control and to stack poison on McMourning.

Grimwell is good in schemes that require interaction. He's fast. Melee isn't as good as you'd hope for though.

Orderlies are good targets for McMourning injection to drop markers and speed them up.

The executioner is a nice beater who aesthetically fits the theme.

Sebastian is nice for poison and giving McMourning pushes on poison. It's hard to get him to do enough though in guild.

I haven't tried her yet but I think phiona would work nicely with her scheme marker drops and damage output.

Francisco is great at keeping McMourning alive and putting out some solid damage.

The judge makes a nice tank to hold an area as the rest of McMourning models are a bit easy to take out.

• Like 5

@RustAndTheCity Think I hadn't seen Phiona before. Sooo good! '

I only have ten or so games with McMourning but I largely agree with Rust.

Brutal effigy and a single nurse are great to have.

I have used Sebastian in every game and found him to usually be pretty good. When there comes a shooting-match I can put my guys in cover and put up Sebastians aura so the opponent will need built in plus flips AND a focus to get to straight flips. That can really put a dampener on some shooty lists. Running him next to the chihuahua usually allows him to do 6-12 points of damage with no possible resist for the opponent which I think is a pretty decent output for a 9 ss combo during turns 1 and 2. Turn one he usually just walks up to a safe spot, sometimes putting up his aura and sometimes just double-walking. Turn two you walk in for the poison aura to take effect. If you have McMourning nearby it can stack up even more damage. The rest of the game his low ml stat is somewhat bothersome but a lot of bigger models don't have that high defenses and the extra 3 damage for every hit he or McMourning lands makes it a big threat. You just need to have the dangerous stuff engaged so Seb can walk around behind your lines and make the opponent pay for each activation. 

I've actually stayed away from Francisco on purpose to see if McMourning can survive without him which has work out in most games because I haven't been pitting him against the worst enemy threats but rather using his speed to zoom up and hunt support models while the guild big guys and Seb handle their beaters.

Judge and an executioner has been in a lot of my lists. If people focus on Seb and the Chihuahua that means my executioner gets to do his thing and if they're stressed out about handling my executioner first it gives the poison combo a very good chance of dealing great damage. A peacekeeper is also fun for creating a little stress on your opponent.

My lists have been rather elite but I haven't had much trouble doing claim jump and another scheme on a flank by having McMourning push and interact on something after clearing it out. The new upgrade to let me bring gupps should make it even more trivial to do a few marker schemes while shoving big beaters in the opponents face.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hound Grey said:

I've played a few games with this theme and it's fun to play, although I did have papa loco in there as the escaped patient the rest of the crew is trying to catch.

Having the orderlies running around the board after papa loco amused me XD

That's what ai call dedication to theme!

1 hour ago, Atoli said:

Amazing job, have you made other conversions?

The pics above have the Nellie, phiona, Francisco, judge and effigy conversions. I have a few others in progress in the same theme.

1 hour ago, Legislat said:

@RustAndTheCity

Cant help but notice captured nephilim in the photos. Do you have a themed Perdita as well? 

I built a converted Perdita but I might change Perdita to a different theme :-).

This thread has opened my eyes up a bit.  Maybe I won't be so narrow in scope.

Also, my friend gave me a Miss Pack (alt sculpt nurse), and I thought of using that model type as a Performer, someone playing a nurse. 

Thanks for the insight friends.

• Like 1

I've done the McMourning and Grimwell combo and it is a lot of fun.  You really do need Sebastian though.  Usually, your opponent is so focused on stopping Grimwell and McMourning that you can get the Chihuahua and Sebastian into their lines and then just watch them crumble from poison.  The nurses and orderlies work well together (a walk 8 orderly is a darn good scheme runner), and Nurse Heartsbane works as an anti-scheme runner.  She's card intensive, but with a good hand she can keep up with enemy scheme runners and do enough attacks to put them down.