Jump to content
Kai

Iron Painter 2017 - Round Two

Recommended Posts

I guess I'm confused. Is the theme the rime of the ancient mariner? I was just thinking it was water. Is it about salt water you can't drink. It is refreshing thinking that I just misunderstood the theme. @Kai could you clarify this for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

I guess I'm confused. Is the theme the rime of the ancient mariner? I was just thinking it was water. Is it about salt water you can't drink. It is refreshing thinking that I just misunderstood the theme. 

You can interpret the theme in any way you like. It could be about the ancient mariner, it could be a statement about climate change or it could just simply be a water effect on a base. The interpretations are endless and that's what's so fun about it! I currently have 4 different options I may or may not go with but I need to decide soon so I can start! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, icatsai said:

You can interpret the theme in any way you like. It could be about the ancient mariner, it could be a statement about climate change or it could just simply be a water effect on a base. The interpretations are endless and that's what's so fun about it! I currently have 4 different options I may or may not go with but I need to decide soon so I can start! 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, icatsai said:

You can interpret the theme in any way you like. It could be about the ancient mariner, it could be a statement about climate change or it could just simply be a water effect on a base. The interpretations are endless and that's what's so fun about it! I currently have 4 different options I may or may not go with but I need to decide soon so I can start! 

I had an idea in my head but now you've given me loads more... Just when I thought I'd settled on one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really trying to stay positive about this, but the round 1 results feel off.

For the sake of transparency, the scores should be open to scrutiny.

It feels like people who completely ignored the theme placed higher than they should have.

I will go back and review the submissions for specific examples, but for now, something just feels hinky about the way pieces were ranked.

It's souring the competition to the point that I'm not sure that I want to continue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BruceStrange said:

Do you think it's a theme?

Absolutely as others have mentioned, any kind of mariner theme,  a swamp theme, an oasis, pirates, Asian garden ect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, neoezekiel said:

I'm really trying to stay positive about this, but the round 1 results feel off.

For the sake of transparency, the scores should be open to scrutiny.

It feels like people who completely ignored the theme placed higher than they should have.

I will go back and review the submissions for specific examples, but for now, something just feels hinky about the way pieces were ranked.

It's souring the competition to the point that I'm not sure that I want to continue.

Scores from last Round are supposed to be reported today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beergod said:

Absolutely as others have mentioned, any kind of mariner theme,  a swamp theme, an oasis, pirates, Asian garden ect. 

Okay. I guess I'm over thinking theme. The way I imagine it is, you look at a piece and automatically think water, water everywhere. That to me would score 10/10. If I saw an asian garden, I don't think it would scream water, water everywhere, kinda missing the theme. To me. I'm probably way off. I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jenna said:

This one is really hard for me, since I'm player first and hobbyist second. Not being much of a "scene / diorama" enthusiast, I generally try to get a great looking model based and ready for the table, but this theme is going to be hard to portray with just a model on a Malifaux base (Well maybe easier for others, I'm a bit stumped). I've got a scene idea in my head, but I'm gonna have to paint at a rate I've never had to paint before if I want to achieve such a lofty goal.

Wyrd really keeping me on my toes for this one. :D

Lol for being a "player first, hobbyist second" you did a pretty darn good job! I wish my table-ready minis would look as good as your Bandersnatch!!

As for you being stumped, personally for this theme I'm thinking to go more for an "interpretation" rather than the literal meaning,  also because, as you say, fitting "water everywhere" on a small base is hard, and I'm not a big fan of diorama either. But "Water, Water, Everywhere..." does not necessarily have to involve actual water...
Looking at last year's Iron Painter, this seemed to be common - hopefully with community voting the other people will see through the meaning ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a plan for a mini and a base. Now to implement it... Good luck all. Looking forward to seeing your WIP and finished photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phadlert said:

General consensus -- ice count as water? or must it be in liquid form?

I'd say it counts but I'd be interested to see what other people think too....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phadlert said:

General consensus -- ice count as water? or must it be in liquid form?

Ice is a form of water. So I say yes.

 

Also... @Kilvo seems its me vs you this time. Good luck. You did a fantastic job in Round 1. Gonna give me some stiff competition!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sycorax said:

Ice is a form of water. So I say yes.

 

Also... @Kilvo seems its me vs you this time. Good luck. You did a fantastic job in Round 1. Gonna give me some stiff competition!

Cheers @sycorax :-) you too. To be honest I voted you pretty high in round one, I thought it captured the theme perfectly :-) I'm looking forward to it and the best of luck to you too :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Phadlert said:

General consensus -- ice count as water? or must it be in liquid form?

Of course it counts :)

the theme is vague, and it's great! 

i hope people don't go too literal when judging-  like looking at the amount of water effect in proportion to other part of the diorama/mini :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guys, it doesnt matter what we think ice or steam is. Or even what we agree upon. Its only important how the judges interpret it ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Okay. I guess I'm over thinking theme. The way I imagine it is, you look at a piece and automatically think water, water everywhere. That to me would score 10/10. If I saw an asian garden, I don't think it would scream water, water everywhere, kinda missing the theme. To me. I'm probably way off. I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

That's a valid way to look at it, I guess.  I myself am quick to abstract things. So a piece going all in on water effects might only get 1/10 on theme (at least they tried) and a piece with no literal water effects could well score 10/10 on theme. Thought and execution matter.

Theme is a spark. Your work is the wildfire that follows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

That's a valid way to look at it, I guess.  I myself am quick to abstract things. So a piece going all in on water effects might only get 1/10 on theme (at least they tried) and a piece with no literal water effects could well score 10/10 on theme. Thought and execution matter.

Theme is a spark. Your work is the wildfire that follows.

Do you think the theme should be obvious when looking at the mini? If not, how do you judge the theme part (10/25 points)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Do you think the theme should be obvious when looking at the mini? If not, how do you judge the theme part (10/25 points)?

Yes, kinda.  Since we know the theme though, I think it is easy for our minds to form links to the theme.  As Niko says, people may take very abstract approaches to it, which is fine.  It might not score them full points with everyone but I think you can make many ideas relating to the theme without it beating you over the head with it.

For example, a desert oasis, but actually it is a mirage for a poor thirsty soul.  It falls in line with the poem in that they "see" water everywhere but cannot drink it.  (Don't ask how to paint this though).

I also had an idea for Ice or snow, or even had one for using water effects, but in a medium that isn't water. Such as oil, or lava.  I think creativity and skill will be deciding factors more than how much it might scream WATER! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Do you think the theme should be obvious when looking at the mini? If not, how do you judge the theme part (10/25 points)?

Best advice I got during Iron Painter back in 2012 is that  if you have to write a text to explain the theme, likely as not it will do badly in theme category.

also, my advice is that you stop worrying  about how the judges interpret the theme. There are five or six of them, you probably wont hit all their buttons. So do what feels best for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Do you think the theme should be obvious when looking at the mini? If not, how do you judge the theme part (10/25 points)?

I don't think it should be obvious, though it can be. If its not and I'm feeling a bit thick I might not get it, 0/10 for theme. But if I look at it and the theme comes through -in some literal or figurative shape, way or form- and I like it enough, boom 10/10 for theme.

I'm not saying don't paint a water elemental on a water base, but it would be a mighty boring round of Iron Painter if everyone did that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay sorry for my posts. I'm obviously not in line with the thinking of the community here. I was so excited about this contest when I heard about it. All I'm getting from it is negative now. I'm dropping from the contest. As another posted earlier "its not my cup of tea" i guess. I wish you all the best and hope you bennefit from it! I'm new to malifaux and this community. Hopefully I will blend in better in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Okay sorry for my posts. I'm obviously not in line with the thinking of the community here. I was so excited about this contest when I heard about it. All I'm getting from it is negative now. I'm dropping from the contest. As another posted earlier "its not my cup of tea" i guess. I wish you all the best and hope you bennefit from it! I'm new to malifaux and this community. Hopefully I will blend in better in the future.

I'd try and put something up anyway, you never know you might nail it and go on to do really well... Its your interpretation of the theme that counts, plus I wouldn't give up on the whole community or Malifaux in general because of the competition :-) :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all!

It will be really hard challenge for me but I so glad that I will have a chance to be judge by professional Jury, I hope that I will learn something from their feedback  :)

This round will bring me something which I always tried to do so I'm so exited :)

Good Luck! I'm wating to se more of such good work as I already had chance to see!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×