Kai

Iron Painter 2017 - Round Two

8 hours ago, edopersichetti said:

Congrats to all - I'll need to get some ideas for this round! Good luck @Regia!

Good luck for you too @edopersichetti:)

I have a new things for me in mind for this round. Let's see how can I make it happen 

7 hours ago, fllesh said:

i dont know what to say.... literally people who broke the rules made it into the top spots..... i guess its an eye opener to me for my first and last online painting competition.... that being said, a lot of great entries well done to all... just not my cup o' tea 

That is one problem with community voting. Everyone has a different idea of what the theme means and how they do their scoring. This is my first competition too, personally I agree with you. I do love a lot of the models that made the cut, but some of the bronze models should be up there instead. You should keep going through the contest, and show them what you're made of. Your first entry was great, I loved the wicker man and your shadows were spot on.

• Like 2

Jeeez Gold :huh:
Hmmm. Getting my Viktoria box from the local today. I'm gonna try to do something around them, I have no idea what though.
Yay, I go up against icatsai. The 2 Bandersnatch girls face off. :aura

• Like 1

There are some good works worth gold or silver by thechnique and theme in Bronze and I don’t understand why they are not up there. But thats how it is. And yes, I‘m a bit disappointed but I think I should have chosen other pictures for my Image.

The german masters are in two weeks and I‘ve to finish some minis for this event and I want to put my focus there. If there is still some time left I will show something. Good luck everyone and lots of fun. Interesting theme.

@LavronYor: really nice work. I like your first entry very much. I love Rick and Morty. Good choice!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jenna said:

Jeeez Gold :huh:
Hmmm. Getting my Viktoria box from the local today. I'm gonna try to do something around them, I have no idea what though.
Yay, I go up against icatsai. The 2 Bandersnatch girls face off. :aura

Hee hee "The Bandersnatch Girls".... we could be a band!
I really wasn't expecting to be in gold but here we are and now I have no idea what to do. 

Good luck @Jenna let's have fun :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, domperignome said:

dude you're throwing some serious acusations here.

Yeah, I`m a bit curious who broke the rules in fllesh`s opinion and in what way. He said "A", should say "B" as well :)
I don`t mean it in a "got problems, boi?" way, I`m generaly interested, whether maybe it`s the echoes of the topic, which came up in the voting thread (about OSL and lack of the object in the picture itself) or maybe something else.  

Congrats everyone and good luck for the next round! Looks like bronze is going to be very difficult, and only going to get worse once the silvers start raining on us from the heavens!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neveroddoreven said:

Yikes. Gold.

Last year silver was intense enough, and I knew I couldn't match anything I saw in gold.

Usually I come up with an idea within minutes of reading the theme, but this one...I'm struggling. The only idea I have is ambitious, and honestly not great. I spent the week off sharpening my sculpting skills, and it looks like I'm going to need them.

Oh, and I'm also paired against the person who I gave the highest score to in round one. The odds are against me this time.

I`m not so sure about that! Just looked through your gallery images - wow, some very impressive paint jobs! It seems to me, you did pretty damn well on the previous Iron Painter :D
That skimming through might have shaken my morale a bit after the overwhelming feeling, that I placed.. 

PS: thank you for the vote :) 

I feel lucky to have made the cut for the top 16 - looks like Im in 16th so perhaps very lucky. 

I love the theme for round 2 - got a few ideas but Im daring myself to do the most ambitious. Looks like I'll need it if Im up against SevenThirtySeven!

• Like 1

This one is really hard for me, since I'm player first and hobbyist second. Not being much of a "scene / diorama" enthusiast, I generally try to get a great looking model based and ready for the table, but this theme is going to be hard to portray with just a model on a Malifaux base (Well maybe easier for others, I'm a bit stumped). I've got a scene idea in my head, but I'm gonna have to paint at a rate I've never had to paint before if I want to achieve such a lofty goal.

Wyrd really keeping me on my toes for this one. :D

• Like 3

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just putting this out there so maybe someone can help me rethink this. Water everywhere as a theme seems like it's gonna require an element of water. Round one OSL seemed like a style more than theme and now round 2 seems like an element you need to incorporate into you model. Almost seems more appropriately fit for a diorama not a single mini. I heard of last year's themes, like 1980's movies. That's cool and definitely themes that you could do lots with. This seems less thematic to me. I expect to see a lot of water. I expect Amazon prices to skyrocket on water effects. It's probably me. I just want to get out my paints and models and work on something original, not try another style or add an unfamiliar element to my minis. Again, not trying to be negative. I honestly hope someone can convince me I'm wrong and this theme is great.

14 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just putting this out there so maybe someone can help me rethink this. Water everywhere as a theme seems like it's gonna require an element of water. Round one OSL seemed like a style more than theme and now round 2 seems like an element you need to incorporate into you model. Almost seems more appropriately fit for a diorama not a single mini. I heard of last year's themes, like 1980's movies. That's cool and definitely themes that you could do lots with. This seems less thematic to me. I expect to see a lot of water. I expect Amazon prices to skyrocket on water effects. It's probably me. I just want to get out my paints and models and work on something original, not try another style or add an unfamiliar element to my minis. Again, not trying to be negative. I honestly hope someone can convince me I'm wrong and this theme is great.

i think youre overcomlicating the subject. remember that it dosnt have to be literaly a ton of water. paint a small puddle on a desert and work the theme around it for example.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

It's a style to get the layering effect down properly.  When I get home I'll show you how it looks on Malifaux bases

3 minutes ago, beergod said:

It's a style to get the layering effect down properly.  When I get home I'll show you how it looks on Malifaux bases

Do you think it's a theme?

guys they actually said they did this to really divide who will be in the top painters.  Now There maybe a ton of great painters who just avoid OSL like the Plauge.  When kingdom death first blew  up I actually didn't care much for OSL, It is beginning to grow on me. But they have drawn the line and said they want their gold tier painters to be able to do OSLwell - or everything else so excellent you forget their is no OSL.  As for everyone suddenly 'Loving the 80's" theme's.. There were so many cases where "I did not get the reference" put really good submissions in lower tier.  Which can happen with any theme, but really strong with American Pop Culture references.  Water Water Every where... yes it screams for Basing work. But the best are going to be the things that surprise you. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, domperignome said:

dude you're throwing some serious acusations here.

ok, but it is a factual accurate accusation.... its wyrd's painting comp, they can make and break and bend any rules they want to...
someone did break the rules...           again, its their competition, they can do whatever they want...

5 hours ago, Infern0 said:

Yeah, I`m a bit curious who broke the rules in fllesh`s opinion and in what way. He said "A", should say "B" as well :)
I don`t mean it in a "got problems, boi?" way, I`m generaly interested, whether maybe it`s the echoes of the topic, which came up in the voting thread (about OSL and lack of the object in the picture itself) or maybe something else.  

i think there was an issue with what exactly OSL is, but it has already been mention, and it is a difference of opinion...  im not looking to cause problems, but because i was asked, this is something i think literally broke the rules that were posted and they got into silver (and im not talking about vulfhart, it was a different entry, this is just kai's post about no multi models outside a diorama)

only 1 model.jpg

• Like 1

You have the option of framing it as the mariner retelling the story as the wedding guest, spies/skaven poisoning a well (which could imply the theme without using any water effects), someone guarding the water people from futurama or simply a water elemental if single figure is your bag.

Yes a diorama will probably find theme points easier, but that's only 40% of your score and a lot more work. Dropping a hint in the title can do some of the scene setting work that a diorama could do.

Trapping us into OSL was pretty brutal and probably caused a few drop outs, I had attempted it once before and it was a mess, but I had learnt from it. Most painters knew someone online or irl who could help technique and theme here is no different, but non painters can help give you ideas too.

I imagine the variety in entries will surprise you. Just chat with a few mates and do your best. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide on 😀

• Like 2