Beginner Misaki

RustAndTheCity

A friend of mine is hoping to start Malifaux with Misaki. I have vintage Misaki with him and will order her upgrades. I don't play 10T and don't know too much about them.

What boxes would you add ideally for her for starting out? Thinking 2-3 boxes max. He's looking to start the game and looking for a good entry point.

10t brothers? Her box? Emissary? Yasinori? Shenlongs box?

Thanks!

Personally I'd recommend Samurai, Mr Graves and either the Obsidian Oni or Low River monks.

Samurai give you some great shooting and tempt your opponent into cheating to make them miss (very handy when Misaki has her discard or die "Assassination" trigger). They're also pretty tough and solid in melee, so there's very little not to like about them. 

Mr Graves provides another melee beater, plus he can help push misaki into position to save her walking like some kind of chump. ;)

Obsidian Oni pair really well with Samurai (they can heal them easily, plus they're decent at both range and melee), and Low River Monks are good support models who also offer healing, but additionally condition removal and scheme marker placement. They're also very cheap in SS, so well worth having. 

There's other great options for Misaki or Ten thunders in general, the common ones being Tengu, Yasunori, Lust, Sensei Yu or the Shadow Emissary. But despite what some might say you don't NEED them to have a good Misaki crew. Most of those are also pretty expensive or come with other models your friend might not want, so there's no need to rush into buying them. 

• Like 2

If I had to recommend just boxes (and no especific models in boxes), i think any of this are great ideas:

- Shadow Effigy (i'd say it's almost a must)

- Low River Monks (with the (0) upgrade are amazingly good)

- Katanaka Snipers

- Ten Thunder Brothers

- Mr Graves (it's not that it's goes specially well with Misaki, it's just that it's a solid model all-around, and not too expensive in SS)

- Yin the Pennangalan (the same as with Mr Graves)

- Terracota Warriors (in fact you just want one)

- Shadow Emissary

Other models that I find great for Misaki (or just great on their own), but come in boxes with other models are:

- Sensei Yu (Shenlong Starter)

- Chiaki the Niece (Yan Lo Starter)

- Lust (Crossroads Box)

- Kang (Mei Feng starter)

About Misaki's Starter, but IMO, the only model you really need from it it's Shang (Torakages are not bad, it's just that there are plenty of great things in Then Thunders instead of them, and Ototo... is just bad). In any case, I'd neither recommend or disrecommend it.

• Like 2

Plus one on the Crime Bosses. If you are looking for only 2 - 3 boxes max I'd go with:

Crime Bosses

Wokou Raiders

Emissary

In that Order. Crime Bosses and Wokou Raiders go nicely together (and the Wokou can be hired by Misaki despite being Outcasts thanks to Last Blossom), gaining Misaki cards and models to mis-direct onto

Emissary provides a lot of support for the crew, as well as acting as a ranged threat, after Misaki and Crime Bosses get fighting in Melee. 

This will give you a good mix of models:

Henchman - Ototo

Enforcers - Crime Bosses, Emissary

Minions - Wokou Raiders, Torakage

Peon - Shang

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about buying her box set, the only one that's decent is Shang, and for a stone more, I'd be taking a LRM every day of the week (as long as you have the upgrade, otherwise there's better).

Lots of great advice here, I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already. 

I actually don't mind Yamaziko with Misaki for being a cheap, kinda mobile scheme runner hunter and if running Stalking Bisento/misdirection can cripple their hand with Master Tactician.

@Mrbedlam & @Kogan Style, why do you recommend Crime Bosses so highly?  I agree they look great, but why with Misaki specifically?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Da Git said:

@Mrbedlam & @Kogan Style, why do you recommend Crime Bosses so highly?  I agree they look great, but why with Misaki specifically?

Hmm... I can't really see much extra synergy beyond what they have with Wokou raiders. Is it the fragile? I feel like if your 8 cost beater is spending their activation setting up a model for your master beater to kill, you might be doing something wrong. Misaki should be able to kill a model without help, you'd hope (though that min 2 does make that a challenge sometimes, I guess). Maybe her new The Thunder upgrade makes it easier for you to get them up to a respectable Ml on their 3/4/6 attack?

Thinking about models made for Misaki makes me wish there was a model in TT with stalk (other than sensei yu)... 

• Like 1

I'm probably alone in this, but, Jorogumo.

They're LAST-BLOSSOM, very self-sufficient (Hard to Wound, Hard to Kill, Eat your Fill, 8 wounds), they're very killy, have a large base and good reach... and Smoke & Mirrors lets them bury easily and pop up at the end of the turn within 6" of a friendly model. Now this may not seem interesting, but their 50mm base means they're really just over 8" from a friendly (6"+base size) and more importantly, if you bury more than one, they can chain their unburying. I've run Misaki with two, and at the end of turn one had two massive spiders in the middle of the enemy crew, engaging pretty much everything.

Crime Bosses are fine; Misaki can be card hungry, so anything that enables card draw is good. Fragile is nice too, anything to help Misaki cheat less and flip more reliably. They're pretty good models any way.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Da Git said:

They help the set up for Misaki. A crime boss can go in, hold a point. Get you tons of cards if enemies activate around them and throw fragile on the target Misaki is going after so that she can wipe easier guarantee those big blasts. The Thunder upgrade is so stinking good vs most summoner lists with models that come in wounded, or swarm lists with tons of tiny models. You want your best chances to set that up. For 8 SS I think they will do more work than a Lone Swordsman or a Samurai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Da Git said:

I wouldn't worry about buying her box set, the only one that's decent is Shang, and for a stone more, I'd be taking a LRM every day of the week (as long as you have the upgrade, otherwise there's better).

Lots of great advice here, I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already. 

I actually don't mind Yamaziko with Misaki for being a cheap, kinda mobile scheme runner hunter and if running Stalking Bisento/misdirection can cripple their hand with Master Tactician.

It is the synergy with each other that benefits Misaki. Wokou have an auto trigger to drop an enemy scheme marker within 3". Dropping an enemy scheme marker within 6" of a Crime Boss nets Misaki a card. Wokou also have a zero to place that scheme marker within 6" of its current location. So guess what, place it within 6" of the crime boss gets you another card (even if it is the same scheme marker, placed in the same spot!).

The Crime boss can tarpit reasonably well, healing for a zero. The Wokou can run schemes well and annoy the opponent in marker heavy schemes since they can shift the marker where is it problematic for the opponent to work around (and of course, shift your own markers where it is best for you!). 

Fragile on the Crime Bosses is as @Jinn says - a bit of a waste for setting up Misaki, which is why I wouldn't take them for that alone. 

So that's why I'd pick these, if I were running a budget Misaki crew.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 1:13 AM, Jinn said:

Hmm... I can't really see much extra synergy beyond what they have with Wokou raiders. Is it the fragile? I feel like if your 8 cost beater is spending their activation setting up a model for your master beater to kill, you might be doing something wrong. Misaki should be able to kill a model without help, you'd hope (though that min 2 does make that a challenge sometimes, I guess). Maybe her new The Thunder upgrade makes it easier for you to get them up to a respectable Ml on their 3/4/6 attack?

Thinking about models made for Misaki makes me wish there was a model in TT with stalk (other than sensei yu)... 

It's worthwhile going for the Fragile in certain circumstances:

• You have 2 Crime Bosses, who will both benefit from +1Ml.
  • You're subsequently going to hit the thing with lots of other things
  • Subsequently using the Coordinated Raid trigger on a Wokou Raider. The Crime Boss is a great target for making extra attacks as it is entirely suit-independent and has no triggers anyway.
  • Like 1

If your friend is starting out with Malifaux, I would recommend:

Shadow Emissary.
Samurais (several may not be the greatest investment, but they are neat and allround. Can deal damage in several ways).
Low River Monks.
Ten Thunder Brothers (Charm Warders and TCW are better and more niche, but starting out you cant go wrong with them).

• Like 1