Two Teddies and Then?

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all, 

just asked myself why I do not paint my second Teddy and have some fun running them in the same list. 

Notes:

- I hven't played the game for two years now. 

- I'll participate in two tournaments in the next few weeks. 

- I always play the rule of cool no matter the competetiveness. 

That being said, I like to ask some questions:

If you were to run 2 Teddies,...

1. which master would you choose?

2. which strategies and schemes would you like to face?

3. which support models would you choose?

I thought about

2 Teddies 

Baby Kade 

2 Will'o'wisps 

Mr Graves

For some movement shenanigans (wisps can use where's Teddy) and Graves can push around, though I don't know wether this is viable at all  

Dreamer, Collodi, or Pandora seem like good masters to run with this. 

I'm not super familiar with Pandora or Collodi though.

Dreamer can throw out healing, pushes, and extra activations to the Teddies, especially if you are set up as a shooty style Dreamer. Daydreams can also push around Teddies and provide cheap activations to boot.

You may also want to consider taking Candy, Beconners, or Doppleganger to synergize with the rest of the crew.

2 hours ago, HydroMog said:

cant say much for dreamer, but it seems like he would be the best bet for that pool of models. pandora wouldnt do much unless you decided to go the paralyze route. and collodi is nearly useless without some form of puppetry going on.

I would like to refute Collodi being useless in any situation, as even without his merry crew of puppets is our strongest master. remember that he can essentially paralyse two things every turn, and get some action advantage out of them. 

That being said, Dreamer is probably better in this situation.

Thanks all for your replies!

Seems to me that I finally have to assemble and paint my Teddy Crew which I collected long ago: Dreamer, Nightmare Teddy as Lord Chompy Bits, those Puppet Wars Teddies as count-as-Daydreams, 2 Teddies and finally some Teddy Bear Bitz to convert models into Teddy Bears – maybe heading towards Alps here.

I already read the stickied Dreamer´s Tactica and while I´m not interessted in Summoning Dreamer I think that some melee focused Dreamer could be the way to go.

7 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

The new melee Dreamer might be worth a shot - you'd try to overwhelm the enemy with hard-hitting low Df targets.

mmh, what does "new melee Dreamer" mean? Is it based on new releases which weren´t available all these former years? Or does it mean "new" after they toned down Dreamer´s summoning ability?

In an other thread I read about "shooting Dreamer". What does this mean?

Thanks in advance

All masters got two new upgrades in the newest book, "Broken Promises". Upgrade Decks should hit the stores this month. One of Dreamer's upgrades is melee oriented.

edit: one of Dreamer's old upgrades, I forget the name, buffs him as a ranged combat model. He goes pew pew, hence "shooty Dreamer".

• Like 3

I've tried two Teddies with Dreamer several times to reasonable effect.  You could consider a crew like this:

Dreamer (Dreams of Pain, Otherworldly)
3 Daydreams
Nekima
2 Teddies

I'm still undecided if the best option is to include the third Daydream (as in this example), or remove it for either 2 extra Soulstones in cache or 2 copies of One Thousand Faces.  The general idea is to get stuck in early with the Teddies.  They'll get killed but do some damage.  Then Nekima swoops in to clean up any heavy hitters that survived the Teddy onslaught.  You can be ridiculously aggressive with the Teddies since you can push them forward with the Daydreams; note that my testing suggests that you have to be a bit circumspect with this otherwise they'll be taken down one at a time whereas your goal is to have both Teddies hit the enemy crew at once.  While all this is going on, the Dreamer can summon whatever you think will win you the game.  Be aware that although the Teddies have a lot of wounds they are not actually very hard to kill and in particular they are pitifully easy to control.  You can mitigate the latter to some extent using Dreamer to clear undesirable conditions from them but it is something that you would  have to play around.

A sample game from a recent tournament can be found here.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:39 PM, HydroMog said:

cant say much for dreamer, but it seems like he would be the best bet for that pool of models. pandora wouldnt do much unless you decided to go the paralyze route. and collodi is nearly useless without some form of puppetry going on.

I play Collodi without Puppets all the time (at least, without Puppets that are not the Brutal Effigy) and don't consider it to be weak at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Argentbadger said:

I've tried two Teddies with Dreamer several times to reasonable effect.  You could consider a crew like this:

3 Daydreams
Nekima
2 Teddies

Thanks for sharing the list. I do not own Nekima and I do not plan on buying one. There are several other models I much more like and still have to paint. That being said, I´m going to run this base:

2 Teddies and Baby Kade

Simply due to the fact that (1) these models brought me into the game, (2) I´ve never played that team, although I wanted from the very beginnings, and (3) it is one hell of an example for rule of cool.

I´m actually painting Dreamer, though I´m rather undeciced what master to run. I can also see Zoraida (once more – rule of cool) or Pandora. Nothing of this calls for high competetiveness, but I´m way to unexperienced to dream of competetive play. ;)

2 hours ago, Argentbadger said:

I already read it. It was fun to read, though I´m not that deep into the game right now, meaning I don´t understand every move or interaction. But I will learn.

On 10/7/2017 at 5:44 PM, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Don't forget the Bandersnatch!

Personally, the idea of hiding these in a Teddy and forcing enemy models to fail Terror tests against the Teddy is hillarious.

I still keep wanting to try this.  It just seems so hilarious.

10 hours ago, Argentbadger said:

3 Daydreams
Nekima
2 Teddies

I'm still undecided if the best option is to include the third Daydream (as in this example), or remove it for either 2 extra Soulstones in cache or 2 copies of One Thousand Faces.  The general idea is to get stuck in early with the Teddies.  They'll get killed but do some damage.  Then Nekima swoops in to clean up any heavy hitters that survived the Teddy onslaught.  You can be ridiculously aggressive with the Teddies since you can push them forward with the Daydreams; note that my testing suggests that you have to be a bit circumspect with this otherwise they'll be taken down one at a time whereas your goal is to have both Teddies hit the enemy crew at once.  While all this is going on, the Dreamer can summon whatever you think will win you the game.  Be aware that although the Teddies have a lot of wounds they are not actually very hard to kill and in particular they are pitifully easy to control.  You can mitigate the latter to some extent using Dreamer to clear undesirable conditions from them but it is something that you would  have to play around.

I play Collodi without Puppets all the time (at least, without Puppets that are not the Brutal Effigy) and don't consider it to be weak at all.

I agree with this idea.  Dreamer can summon Stitched Together to add to the tremendous amount of pure damage flying around, he can summon Lilitu to give you some control, or he can summon Insidious Madness to go score while you tie everything up.

If you're going to go with Baby Kade, I'd definitely put Depression on him, so that you can guarantee his knife goes off to full effect.  

As for the three Dreamers:

1. Summoning Dreamer - Dreams of Pain, usually Otherworldly and Wings of Darkness.  He summons things.  Needs high cards, stones for masks, or daydreams.  Also should be using his buffs on things that are summoned.

2. Shooty Dreamer - Restless Dreams and Tantrum.  That gives Dreamer ranged expert (1 ap for ranged attacks), a good ranged attack, and +1 Waking every time he does damage with a shooting attack, and gives Lord Chompy Bits Melee Expert (1 ap for melee attacks).  Basic plan there is to shoot things 4 times, hitting every time, and then summon Chompy, who gets 3 attacks, then turns back in to Dreamer.  Sometimes Aether Connection is good to keep Dreamer alive post LCB, but Sleep Cycles, from Wave 5, is probably the best - it allows Dreamer and LCB to chain activate each other.

3. Melee Dreamer - Growing Up, from Wave 5.  Gives Dreamer more wounds, a Charge, a good Melee attack, and melee expert.  He can ping pong around the board with his melee and end his activation as LCB in safety.

• Like 1

So what about running Mr. Tannen with a summoning dreamer build, along with Widow Weaver and the Hanbag upgrade to give two separate chances of summoning a teddy. Hire one to the crew to make sure you have one, as well as your daydreams for the mask. Work on widow weaver's handbag summoning, but if you can manage to draw a 13 or red joker, get ready to easy summon teddy. (this is theoretical, have not actually tried it yet [only own one teddy])

On 12.10.2017 at 6:24 PM, Noah said:

So sample list for summoning a Teddy:

Dreamer

-Dreams of Pain

-Otherworldly

3 Daydreams

Widow Weaver

-Handbag

Baby Kade

Teddy

Mr. Tannen

6 ss remaining

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I don't own a Widow Weaver nor Mr. Tannen. But I'll keep that list in mind for future list building. 

For me, rule of cool in this situation means 2 Teddies, Widow Weaver (to get Teddy full effect among other things with web markers) and Kade.  This type of list is one of 2 crews that got me into the game way back in 1st edition, along with Seamus (problems? throw zombie hookers at it).  I can't say pew pew Dreamer makes a ton of sense to me for the list, but summoning Dreamer always makes sense, and melee Dreamer I think makes a lot of sense depending on the strat and schemes.

16 hours ago, (Keenan) said:

For me, rule of cool in this situation means 2 Teddies, Widow Weaver (to get Teddy full effect among other things with web markers) and Kade.  This type of list is one of 2 crews that got me into the game way back in 1st edition, along with Seamus (problems? throw zombie hookers at it).  I can't say pew pew Dreamer makes a ton of sense to me for the list, but summoning Dreamer always makes sense, and melee Dreamer I think makes a lot of sense depending on the strat and schemes.

correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't Teddy rare 1 in first edition?

Don't know if anyone mentioned this allready, but don't forget that zoraida can now obey models to charge, which is pretty strong.

Also you can run the widow weaver and recycle voodoo doll and teddy scrap into more teddys.

I'm not saying this list is better than dreamer with teddy, but as you mentioned you're not necessarily going for the most competitive list.

• Like 1