Schemes & Stones - Master Spotlight Parker Barrows

Khyodee

Really enjoyed this!  I posted on Facebook as well, but a few points of correction:

1.  The suit for the ignores-armor trigger on High Noon is built in on Parker’s Six-Shooters.

2.  To clarify, the emissary’s (0) drops an enemy scheme marker if you discard a trinket, not a friendly.  So when you’re talking about it’s usefulness, it’s good to keep that in mind.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode, and your guests’ experience tracks with my own.  Which makes sense, because listening to the Faux Braux’s episode where Jordan broke down his Parker Cycle is what got me playing him in the first place.

Thanks again @Khyodee for another informative and in depth episode!

Overall, it was excellent.  I do wish the Wokou Raiders had felt like more than an afterthought.  They're the third type of bandits out there and while, yes, they're expensive, I feel like they have to have a little more use than the podcast tossed out there for them.

But it got me excited to build my Parker set, so, like I said, overall it was a really enjoyable, thoughtful listen.

1 hour ago, Memnaelar said:

Overall, it was excellent.  I do wish the Wokou Raiders had felt like more than an afterthought.  They're the third type of bandits out there and while, yes, they're expensive, I feel like they have to have a little more use than the podcast tossed out there for them.

But it got me excited to build my Parker set, so, like I said, overall it was a really enjoyable, thoughtful listen.

Yeah, I agree. I actually take a Raider WAY more often than I take Mad Dog (I often take one raider, especially against melle centric crews), who I think is good, but definitely not as good as implied in this episode. And I'm definitely not sure about using the AP of other models in my crew to get him foaming at the mouth... I'll give it a shot for sure, and perhaps that's what sells me on Mad Dog... I'm not convinced though!

Most of the podcast was a nice tactical for how to play, but of course it was how he played and got his best results.  They did say that you should play to the style and strengths you have yourself.  I think the Wokou got such an afterthought simply because he was never used in this guys' Parker play.  Personally, I haven't invested in the hodgepodge yet so that changes the way I play significantly to how he plays as it is a staple for him.  @apes-ma Do you find yourself ever using the 2ss upgrade for bandit movement at the start and then to shoot at models you have engaged with Wokou?  I could see that being a fairly viable strategy in some lists that was skipped entirely due to a change of play style.

52 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Most of the podcast was a nice tactical for how to play, but of course it was how he played and got his best results.  They did say that you should play to the style and strengths you have yourself.  I think the Wokou got such an afterthought simply because he was never used in this guys' Parker play.  Personally, I haven't invested in the hodgepodge yet so that changes the way I play significantly to how he plays as it is a staple for him.  @apes-ma Do you find yourself ever using the 2ss upgrade for bandit movement at the start and then to shoot at models you have engaged with Wokou?  I could see that being a fairly viable strategy in some lists that was skipped entirely due to a change of play style.

Of course, and obviously the guest (Jordan I think his name is?) plays a fairly fixed list, so of course a lot of models got left out. He said he struggles to fit a Wokou in given it's cost, but when I play Parker I only tend to take one ~10SS model (i.e., I wouldn't have Mad Dog AND Emissary) so that's perhaps why I get more play out of it. I find that the built-in Drop It! trigger is perhaps the most useful part of the Wokou Raiders - they can go ahead of Parker and litter the ground with loot for him to use later on.

As for Coordinated Heist - I certainly have used it, but I normally will take it when I find I have a 49SS crew. When that happens I'll swap off one of Parker's 1SS upgrades and put on coordinated heist since it's a lot of fun. When it works, it's totally excellent, but the longer the game goes on without using it I think the more you lose, since it's a dud between the free walk and the time you use the shoot everything. I REALLY like it in flank, though, especially against a crew that likes to ball up, or in extraction. Scout the field lets the Wokou raider get a head start, charge in to engage as many enemies as possible, and then when Parker activates he can shoot all three of those models with one AP, declaring drop it each time, which scooches the Wokou Raider back to a safe spot. Although he will really only, realistically, be putting 2 damage on three models the good thing about it is that you will have a clump of enemy scheme markers (one for each model, perhaps more if the wokou raider declared drop it when attacking) in, hopefully, just the right place that Parker can then use for the rest of the game to generate resources, or to dynamite, or to flip etc.

The short version - yes I have used it and it's great when it works! Sometimes just feels like a dud though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this episode (my first listening of any podcast...ever!).  It got a fire lit under my ass to get him painted up.  Planning to hit the table with him tomorrow night

Parker - stick up, black market, hail of bullets

Doc

Mad Dog - Lucky Poncho, Oath Keeper

Emissary - Conflux of Stolen Goods

Sue - Return Fire

Dead Outlaw X2

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MudgeBlack said:

In the above list, I'm thinking about pulling Sue to sub in one or two Banditos, mainly to see what they can do (I already know Sue).  Any thoughts?

If you can afford the play time, I'd say that in general it's a good way to form your own opinion about a model by force hiring them for a few games.

As for Sue for Bandidos, Sue brings a lot of utility that B's don't. No card draw, no anti-cast aura, no AoE burning... They're not a clear replacement in my mind. But then again, what's one card here or there, and if you've mostly used Sue for his pew pew ability you're not missing much by testing out Bandidos in his stead.

Personally I'd swap a Dead Outlaw for Bandido, but I really love Sue. Or heck, Mad Dog for 2x Bandido in pools where extra bodies are worth more than MD's shotgun.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MudgeBlack said:

In the above list, I'm thinking about pulling Sue to sub in one or two Banditos, mainly to see what they can do (I already know Sue).  Any thoughts?

It’s not a bad call to put you up in activations/ if the pool is interact heavy.  I’d advise keeping Sue if you expect:

- Offensive Ca (Man in Black is amazing)

- Killy schemes (Crit strike on his Prison Pistols is pretty ace)

- Horror duels (his Relentless and card draw is helpful to pass those tests.)

That’s just my $0.02.  Definitely try it out for yourself and draw your own conclusions.  Even better, try it out and report back here/ in the Battle Report section to share what you’ve learned!