Help picking a second faction

shadykx125

So I have the dual faction pledge. I'm going Abyssinia as my primary faction no question about it. I choose hordes as my second at first because I wanted a non earth side faction. But now the main opponent I am expecting to play is going hordes. I would go cult, but I have another buddy (who probably wont play much) who is going cult.

My question: Is there going to be a significant advantage to having both earth factions? I know some models are going to be dual faction. Also, how much do we know about how each faction plays? Do they have any explicit connections to malifaux factions? Anything that might help me decide will be appreciated.

I'd say if you already have friends who are playing the Malifaux stuff, I'd go dual with the Empire.  If you buy Kassa you're giving yourself a big boost in a hiring pool for either of the two allegiances (she lets you hire either allegiance's Squads)!  Nothing Malifaux side can hire anything Earth side and vice versa.

King's Empire's shtick is guns, guns, and guns.  They Glory by killing Fireteams.  Abyssinia is all about high value activations and bonus actions.  They Glory either with their Prototype weapons or by succeeding by a lot over the enemy's total or the target #.  Hordes is all about melee and summoning your dead squads back.  They Glory by eating each other.  Cult is about teleporting around and magic.  They Glory by stacking Shaken Tokens on themselves.

There's a couple vassal games of each of the factions on youtube if you want to see what they're like (though the clips are pretty long).  Hope that helps!

• Like 1

With the vassal games @retnab mentioned: it's a great thing to have playing in the background while painting or otherwise hobbying.

I went dual Abyssinia and Hordes so that my partner can paint (and possibly play with) sea-based horrors, but it also allows for me to show people two different approaches to the fight (quality versus quantity) and have natural enemies. If you're looking to have forces that complement each other more, then the guns and bodies of Kings Empire and the tricks and technology of Abyssinia can work wonders together. With the way Dual Commanders work, you'll have the ability to have fire teams from the other faction in your stable with Kassa, whether you primary as KE or Ab, so the dual commander pledge is a brilliant way to kick that into play.

Another way to look at it, is to look down the road. We already know the next 4 factions. 

Earthside 

The Guild : By looking at Thrace and The Guild in Malifaux 2E, it seems to be a very diverse faction, but where you have to build to each challenge. 

Three Kingdoms : China, Japan and Vietnam combined. We know they are connected to Ten Thunders in some way. Fluff mentions them fighting with what they have learned from both sides of the Breach. 

Malifaux 

Court of Two : A spirit/ghost faction. Their fluff mentions them able to recruit soldiers without emotions or needs. A bit spooky. 

Kimon : An Oni faction. Since the veils between worlds are flayed, Oni are arriving, ready for bloodshed. Angry and buff with horns, I guess. 

This might inspire you to think about future combinations like "Oh, combining Hordes and Kimon could look really good" or "Hmm, the guns of King's Empire and the secrecy of Three Kingdoms are probably going to be a nice mix" 

I hope this is useful to you :)

I am actually getting Abyssinia and Hordes myself. Having trouble with the rest of my pledge though.

I am currently set to get a Dual Commander pledge. Added to that I will be getting all 6 squad add ons for both, Horomatangi, Kassa, Thrace, Nguyen, and 1 extra Rail Gunner and Egg Clutch. Can't really justify the price on the Marauder and Eel, so will be passing on those.

Wondering if I would be better off dropping some things for another Commander level pledge, or even another dual commander, or going full Tyrant.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, the way the dual commanders work, you're doing yourself a disservice if you go with 2 factions and choose different sides. As mentioned, they let you hire squads from the other Allegiance up to half of your total scrip.

That is unless you just plain don't like the other Allegiance, or you're going dual for other reasons (such as getting two opposing forces for demo games).

I went ahead and shifted up to the all-four-pledge before the KS ended, but before that I pledged Burning Man and Abyssinia, intending to pick up KE and Hordes items as addons to take advantage of the dual commanders. I'm personally of the opinion that selecting models from the other faction will focus on patching holes or bringing utility than anything else - like Armored Whelks in Burning Man to protect against Pinned tokens, and that the basic units that come with selecting a faction as a "core" choice may not represent that much value when considering bringing stuff over. If you have your heart set on one Malifaux faction and one Earth faction, I'd just go ahead and pick them, then go a la mode on select items to bring over with Commanders.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:46 PM, -Loki- said:

[...] or you're going dual for other reasons (such as getting two opposing forces for demo games).

That's why I went Hordes/Abyssinia. Two completely different approaches that are much easier to introduce people into the game with. The former uses weight of numbers (the quality of quanitity) and the latter uses effectiveness of elites (quality of quality). They're also the two most visually appealing to me ;)