New Malifaux player interested in Parker

Franchute

Hello,

I'm posting this for a potential new player in our area. He would like to play Malifaux and he is interested in Parker Barrows. I'm asking you players who play Parker on a regular basis: which few boxes would you recommend him to buy after the starter box?

In the schemes and stones blog (https://schemesandstones.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/building-on-a-budget-outcasts/), Kyle recommends either the Viks or Von Schill. Would you really follow this advice?

Both the Viktoria and Von Schill boxes are good investments in that they give you solid models (Ronin, Librarian, Trapper) as well as additional masters to complement Parker.  

If your new player is looking to stick to Parker’s theme while they learn the game, then a few of the single boxes may be a better investment.

For example- at a budget of $100, I would recommend:

Parkers box - $50

Dead outlaws - $21 (great durable minion to compliment the squishy Bandido)

Sue - $11 (a solid second beater)

Big Jake - $11 (helps with Table-quarter strategies)

That gives your new player plenty of options to mix up their crew as they learn Parker.  Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

I play Parker a LOT but disclaimer - I might not be that good... My crews actually almost never have anything from Von Schill or Viktorias box in them except, perhaps, a Librarian or a Trapper. If I am not playing around with a new list, or taking a list in a rush, I tend to take the Doc, a Wokou Raider about 60% of the time, I take Sue and Johan a lot, and then an expensive model, either ashes and dust, strongarm, or mctavish, and then fill out the rest with a mix of dead outlaws, bandidos and big jake (if it's interference) according to points left over. Most of the Outcasts have probably been played in a list with Parker by me, but that's my sort of "go to" list to choose from!

• Thanks 1

I play Parker A ton and the must buys in my mind are as follows:

Parker Box= 50

Dead Outlaws=21

Sue= 11

Big Jake=11

Stong Arm Suit= 16 

A little over $100 but you'l be at 50 SS every game with some flexability

Other options include Wokou Raiders $21, Johan $11 and the Hodgepodge Effigy $11

• Thanks 1

So, I've never seen Parker, but my understanding is that he's not really that strong.  Now, I could have been told olther things.  As far as a new player, I'd highly recommend Von Schill.  Again, he's not the strongest master, and is considered the seconded weakest in faction (only followed by Parker).  That being said, his box models are very strong and versatile in other crews as you branch out.  Additionally, VS is a fairly simple master, so as far as learning the game, he's a good first master.  

Von Schill was my first master and still my favorite.  I started with him on Kyle's recommendation - Kyle taught me to play and it was a good solid pick.  And the trapper and librarian i still use in my Levi crew.  

So, I'd say maybe start with VS, then expand into Parker, though be prepared for a ton of rough games, cauase from everything i've been told, Parker is MAlifaux Hardmode on steroids to play.

• Thanks 1

Just to chime in on this... Parker is definitely not as strong as almost all the other Outcast masters, BUT I don't think that makes him rubbish. I think that the spread of power in Malifaux is such that a large percentage of it can be made up for with good positional play and forward planning. So if your new player has his heart set on Parker there's not really a reason not to go for it - it's easier to enjoy a game with figures you like and a master that appeals that are weak than a strong crew of models you didn't enjoy painting or don't like the fluff of (in my opinion).

On the other hand, Parker is definitely a high complexity master - he has a lot of options through his upgrades, and he punishes bad positioning quite heavily - and in that respect Von Schill might make a better "starter master". If your new player does go with Parker he might have a hard time for the first few games until Parker "clicks" with him, i.e. he gets comfortable with the upgrade cycling, what upgrade he needs for the next turn, which models he needs to position to benefit from the (0) actions etc. etc. Finally, that high complexity is exactly what makes me enjoy playing Parker so much. I have a much higher win percentage with the Viks, but Parker is by far my most played master. Even when I have a bad game with him (and often losses are good games...) it feels like the reason was the I was just one step behind figuring out the "Parker puzzle", rather than just because the models are weak, or bad, or underpowered, and that keeps me coming back for more.

• Like 3

If then intention is to play just Parker then you really don't need either Von Schill box or Viks. I occasionally take a Ronin, taken a trapper once. But for the most part I don't feel the need to use them. I tend to run more thematic crews. Sue fits perfectly into this and I've taken him in almost every Parker crew. Depending on the schemes Convict Gunslingers are handy and again fit quite well into theme. And since I got them I pretty much always run at least one Dead Outlaw. Of course there are plenty of other options, but those are the most common ones for me.

I would agree with the general consensus so far. Parker is by no means an easy master to use. It's usually better to learn the intricacies of the Malifaux system before tackling a master that is quite difficult to get "right". Saying that I don't believe it should matter (especially to a new player) whether a Master is top tier, or best in faction. What matters more is whether you enjoy the way they play. As with apes-ma, I have a much higher win percentage with Viks and I do love them, but I have for more of a blast playing Parker and even when I'm losing I have fun.

My advice would be to read up a bit about how the various masters play and tactics etc... and see what fits with your own play style.

• Thanks 1

Lucky for you Schemes and Stones just dropped a new Parker Podcast so you now get an hour plus of positive talk with some guy from Australia about Parker's tactics, strengths, and weaknesses; it was a good solid review.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

Lucky for you Schemes and Stones just dropped a new Parker Podcast so you now get an hour plus of positive talk with some guy from Australia about Parker's tactics, strengths, and weaknesses; it was a good solid review.

This exists in text form? I badly perceived by the ear English talk

• 6 months later...

well, I don't know if you can read this after all this time.

I'm that new player that Franchute was recluiting. While I still want to play Parker, I followed the many advices and bought Von Schill. It was a very good advice because now I kind of understand the game and I really enjoy it. I expanded my VS list with Hannah, Strongarm and Hans and it's awesome!

But now, I still want to buy Parker, but I'm undecided if I must go for the Viks first.

Anyway, thanks you all for your time and advices, and considered me succesfully recluited

• Like 5

On 4/24/2018 at 4:33 AM, Wurz_7 said:

I'm that new player that Franchute was recluiting. While I still want to play Parker, I followed the many advices and bought Von Schill. It was a very good advice because now I kind of understand the game and I really enjoy it. I expanded my VS list with Hannah, Strongarm and Hans and it's awesome!

But now, I still want to buy Parker, but I'm undecided if I must go for the Viks first.

Anyway, thanks you all for your time and advices, and considered me succesfully recluited

Welcome again,

Back to your question of Parker vs Viks, I'd say that viks are not a must before Parker. In fact, they have such a different playstyle that of argue they would move you away from Parker.(grain of salt:I don't own the viks just have read about them a lot.

Parker is a really fun master imo and I love his style and aesthetic.  I will say that my success with him has increased significantly with getting the hodgepodge emissary and I do feel it is a bit too necessary in his crew.  (At least it's good for VS too).

Anyways, I'd argue the vik box brings little that Parker wants so is in no way necessary to get before going for him if you want to play him still.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/23/2018 at 9:33 PM, Wurz_7 said:

My advise would change as that was before wave 5, now the Hodgepodge emissary is a must have for the card draw. 

• Agree 2