Hans and his uses.

Elementrix

Take scout the field and I pay better on another model. Kill the most important oneshottable enemy modell with doublefocus in your first activation of the game.
Almost every player brings a cheap totem or something similar to the game and its surprising how many of those can actually get oneshot by hans. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

He can oneshot stuff turn one with scout the field. He can help keep NIx alive by shooting stuff nix is engaged  with and hes an integral part of the Outcast-Sniper-delivers-buried-Mails-Alpha ;P 

I'm curious about the alpha. What is it Hans does that a trapper can't?

I play Hans way more than I should, but that's because I am a sucker for a cool figure. He is, unfortunately, mostly worse than the trapper. That said, he does very well with Scout the Field to merk a key piece on turn 1. That can be great, but it depends on your knowledge of the opponent and/or faction. Will they try to get by in Hunting Party by hiding Primordial Magic at the back of the board? Take Hans! Do you suspect a Pigapault? Take Hans!

Other than that he can do alright in the right schemes and strats, providing the board is right. So... a lot of ifs and buts. Basically, if there is a strategy where you know where the fight will be, or if you are confident you can direct the fight, AND there is a nice firing lane from somewhere way backfield to that area, then Hans can be fine. Bonus points if there's a tall building or hill he can stand on and no lures in the opposing crew. That's more ifs and buts though... And all you really get is 5 focused shots that ignore randomisation. He does very well with I Pay Better, but it isn't essential, and he can also be quite good to support masters like the Viks, since he can shoot into engagements, and, to an extent, control parts of the board.

Ultimately, though, you'll spend 8-9 stones for something like 5-8 shots (best case scenario) at 2/3/5, which isn't spectacular. He really suffers from Book One Syndrome (BOS) - there's really no reason that he has to discard to set two of his triggers off, no reason that he doesn't have a built in :+fate on his attack and no reason not to have either critical strike or some kind of headshot trigger. In fact, to be honest, he could probably have Adaptive and still probably not be hire more than the trapper.

Hans seems situational.  If you plan on getting engaged a lot then he could be really useful.  Doesn't he ignore incorporeal?  Can make a huge difference against the right crew.  One-shotting Sorrows will put a dent in your opponent's plan!

Never bothered with his upgrade shooting - it's just way too card intensive to be useful.  

But yeah, he definitely needs a buff.  (O)AP to make a target drop a friendly scheme marker in base contact could make a big difference to his usability.

3 minutes ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Hans seems situational.  If you plan on getting engaged a lot then he could be really useful.  Doesn't he ignore incorporeal?  Can make a huge difference against the right crew.  One-shotting Sorrows will put a dent in your opponent's plan!

Never bothered with his upgrade shooting - it's just way too card intensive to be useful.  

But yeah, he definitely needs a buff.  (O)AP to make a target drop a friendly scheme marker in base contact could make a big difference to his usability.

Sort of like Deliver Orders? Yeah that would actually be pretty rad...

12 minutes ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

He already got a buff with his 0 upgrade. Not enough?

47 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

He already got a buff with his 0 upgrade. Not enough?

It's not that good really. First of all, it competes with Scout the Field, second of all the (0) action stops you from using Reference the Field guide (which, given that he has a bunch of useful triggers, is not ideal), and thirdly it needs a 7 to go off. It DOES sort of enable a walk-focus-shoot pattern of play, but the 7 is a bit high, and even with the upgrade he is only Wk 4, and I don't think it really does a lot for him... Especially when I Pay Better (if he's in range) turns any card into focus for no AP or (0) actions at all.

• Like 2

When I'm playing Vik's, I'm always using I Pay Better anyway, so when I'm facing Nephelim, first thing I do is get the focus, use Ping and get ride of that upgrade that grows tots.  Removes half of the opponents crew effectiveness with one activation.

I'm waiting to see how they will work on Asami's new Borrowed Time upgrade & Yan Lo's Yin/Yang ones.  It's a must For Emissary's 0 upgrades, and whatever big thing they put on the non masters.

I think he's largest flaw is that he becomes such a massive card sink.  "I Pay Better" focus is a card, then most of his triggers require him to DISCARD the card to actually use the ability after you already have the trigger, and his damage track is only 2/3/5 (no crit).  So really the only way you're killing a model is if you hit it at ++, to ensure you can cheat in another severe to hit the target.  so you're talking like 10ss (Hans + I Pay Better + Scout) ((technically way more cause generally I Pay Better is going on a Henchmen, its not something you really want on master)) along with a minimum 2 cards from hand, probably more.  All to MAYBE kill a totem or small schemer.  Don't get me wrong, it has potential to screw with someone.  And the mental dickary of one-shotting a model turn one is a rather large psychological blow. But it requires such a large resource pool to do it becomes crazy situational.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

When I'm playing Vik's, I'm always using I Pay Better anyway, so when I'm facing Nephelim, first thing I do is get the focus, use Ping and get ride of that upgrade that grows tots.  Removes half of the opponents crew effectiveness with one activation.

I'm waiting to see how they will work on Asami's new Borrowed Time upgrade & Yan Lo's Yin/Yang ones.  It's a must For Emissary's 0 upgrades, and whatever big thing they put on the non masters.

It's probably not worth shooting for ANY master upgrade, since they will just discard two cards to keep the upgrades. It can be pretty great for shooting upgrades off Henchman though - when I see Yan Lo I sometimes take Hans to shoot Command the Graves off Toshiro. That makes it harder to recover the activation advantage after Yan Lo kills the Wastrel...

3 hours ago, apes-ma said:

It's not that good really. First of all, it competes with Scout the Field, second of all the (0) action stops you from using Reference the Field guide (which, given that he has a bunch of useful triggers, is not ideal), and thirdly it needs a 7 to go off. It DOES sort of enable a walk-focus-shoot pattern of play, but the 7 is a bit high, and even with the upgrade he is only Wk 4, and I don't think it really does a lot for him... Especially when I Pay Better (if he's in range) turns any card into focus for no AP or (0) actions at all.

Well, with his upgrade and I Pay Better Hans can make two focused shoots each activation... Not a bad deal. 

On 10/2/2017 at 9:43 AM, Zebo said:

Well, with his upgrade and I Pay Better Hans can make two focused shoots each activation... Not a bad deal. 

Which is yes, very strong.  But its crazy cards intensive.  Thats 2-3 cards to get the focus (3 if you miss and need to cheat the (0)), then again, a severe to make sure you kill the target, since few models worth killing are 3 health.  So at best, we're talking 3 cards (unless you hit the severe on damage which we cannot guarantee) but realistically, we're talking 4-5 cards, most, if not all from your hand.  And then however many you end up flipping.  So you're burning a ton of cards to hopefully kill the target.

I think Hans does have a place in very situational crews, but that very much depends on knowning your opponent and what they will play in the given pool.  Otherwise, you're better off taking the trapper and saving yourself 2 stones

Hans does some unique things. If you just want damage from your sniper then he probably isn't the best choice, but if you want any of his special stuff then he is worth considering (upgrade removal, funky trigegrs and the ability to carry upgrades, so possibly ignoring LOS) . The problem is that you don't know for certain if you need his bag of tricks until you see the opponents crew. 

12 hours ago, Davos said:

Which is yes, very strong.  But its crazy cards intensive.  Thats 2-3 cards to get the focus (3 if you miss and need to cheat the (0)), then again, a severe to make sure you kill the target, since few models worth killing are 3 health.  So at best, we're talking 3 cards (unless you hit the severe on damage which we cannot guarantee) but realistically, we're talking 4-5 cards, most, if not all from your hand.  And then however many you end up flipping.  So you're burning a ton of cards to hopefully kill the target.

I think Hans does have a place in very situational crews, but that very much depends on knowning your opponent and what they will play in the given pool.  Otherwise, you're better off taking the trapper and saving yourself 2 stones

This is exactly the problem. On top of that he'll need even MORE cards if you want to guarantee a trigger, and half of those triggers ALSO need cards... Advanced Sight was such a miss!

• Like 2

On 02/10/2017 at 10:53 PM, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

I'd pay 9 stones any game to remove the primordial magic or the malifaux child, a soul porter, graveyard spirit, will o whisp, copycat killer, ... ... ... and then be a decent sniper for the rest of the game. Psychological advantage on top if u make your opponent play from behind so soon.

But the point is, the trapper can also do that.