My ulix build

lame0

So I have been toying around with a few lists and I finally got one I'm really happy with. 
50 SS Gremlins Crew
Ulix + 4 Pool
 - Midwife (1)
 - Husbandry (3)
 - Do Over (1)
Aionus (13)
Old Major (9)
Gremlin Crier (7)
Merris LaCroix (6)
Slop Hauler (5)
Slop Hauler (5)
 So basically the point of this list is to make two warpigs turn one and make them fast with positives to attack and damage flips with a ~21 inch range from deployment. This is accomplished by drawing/ cycling cards through the use of stone/ do over/ discard effects with the crier in range. This allows for you to see 17 cards to get the two 12+ cards required to summon. This is the hardest part to hit and has a 90% success rate (98% for 1 warpig). After that you can cycle another 6-8 times to get the two 10+ cards needed to give the warpigs fast. The crier typically uses it's cycle effect 12+ times turn one. 

How it's done:

Number in parentheses represents the number of cards in hand after action. An * notates when the crier takes damage to draw off discard.

Draw -> stone 
If your hand doesn't have 2 12+ and a 10+ 

1) Gremlin Crier
Fast (5) -> defensive(5*) -> defensive(5*) -> (0) action heal for one (5*) -> if the hand is still very weak take one more defensive(5*) 

2) meris 
Reckless -> Fast (5*) -> scheme marker -> move -> scheme marker -> move -> (0) action for scheme marker (5*)
At this point you've drawn/ cycled through 14 cards and your hand should be pretty stacked.

3) Aionus 
Scheme marker -> (0) midnight for scheme marker (you might have to stone for suite on the trigger) -> walk -> scheme marker

****If for some reason you don't have the cards to summon yet for the turn you can reckless + fast a slop hauler and heal Merris + slop+ crier to full health with 2x heals and then go defensive twice on old major.(if you go fast it gives you 4x cycles)****

4) Ulix 
Do over (6-7) -> war pig (5-6) -> war pig (4-5) -> piglet (3-4)  this is worst case because often you hit one of the cards 
5) 2x slop hauler 
Reckless -> Fast(2-3* or 3- 4* if crier has wounds left before it dies) -> heal > heal
Heal importance is Ulix, crier, warpig(up to 10), slop, meris, piglet. If your hand is weak have the piglet go in-between the slop haulers and go fast/ defensive 1-3 times depending on your needs.
7-8) Old Major -> give suite (2-3* or 3-4*) -> give suite
Only give suites using cards in your hand that are below 10. 
If the piglet has not gone use it for further activation control/hand control.
9&10) war pig 
Fast(2-3* or 3-4*) walk -> walk-> charge 
Both warpigs should be fast with positives to attack and damage on charges. So the dream is to also get the stampede off of 1-2 of them and old major makes them charging each other the next turn 0%.

This build heals like 30 wounds turn one and ends up with a very strong alpha strike that is very hard to ignore going into turn two.
Following turn one ulix can transition back into summoning 1 warpig which can charge 19 inches and still summon a few piglets to scheme and tie stuff up (17 inch charge). Also the aionus / crier / slop hauler combo is pretty strong but even if the crier dies (becomes a bayou anyway) aionus gives fast to models that can really use it and get stuff done. The crier is pretty hard to kill turn one with 2-3x defensive + it will typically be behind old major and ulix. If it makes it past turn one then it accomplished it’s goal
Also typically this build would worry about blasts turn one but Merris protects everyone important so the chance ulix or the crier die is pretty low. Overall this list is all about the auras that the models provide and how they basically make the summoned models as good or better than if you started with them.

edit for pictures to explain a bit better

Picture before any activations

Screen_Shot_2017_09_30_at_12_56_27_AM.pn

Picture after schemes are down Yellow marker is Meris (0) and red marker is Aionus (0).

Screen_Shot_2017_09_30_at_12_55_43_AM.pn
upload picture

picture after pigs are down and ready to charge

Screen_Shot_2017_09_30_at_1_11_35_AM.png
image hosting

• Like 2

Could you draw a diagram of how all of the key players are positioned? Particularly how Merris and Aionus move and where they drop scheme markers in order for all 6 to be within 4 of Ulix. It's possible to have at least 6 scheme markers within 4 of him even if they're all placed by interacts, but I'm curious as to how feasible it is with this method.

11 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Could you draw a diagram of how all of the key players are positioned? Particularly how Merris and Aionus move and where they drop scheme markers in order for all 6 to be within 4 of Ulix. It's possible to have at least 6 scheme markers within 4 of him even if they're all placed by interacts, but I'm curious as to how feasible it is with this method.

Very feasible spent a few min doing it on vassal. Both Aionus and Meris are very flexible in terms of where they must be and with meris with flight it becomes pretty darn easy. Example was just one option. The reason I put aionus where i do is so that he ends up in range of old major incase i want to fast him later in the turn. This also lets me summon the war pigs ~3.5 inches up from where Ulix starts so (3.5+8+1+5+5= 22.5' )

31 minutes ago, lame0 said:

Very feasible spent a few min doing it on vassal. Both Aionus and Meris are very flexible in terms of where they must be and with meris with flight it becomes pretty darn easy. Example was just one option. The reason I put aionus where i do is so that he ends up in range of old major incase i want to fast him later in the turn. This also lets me summon the war pigs ~3.5 inches up from where Ulix starts so (3.5+8+1+5+5= 22.5' )

I'm confused how the war pigs are starting out of base contact with Ulix.

I suspect terrain may hinder this but it does look like getting the right cards is the key part, rather than the positioning.

11 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I'm confused how the war pigs are starting out of base contact with Ulix.

I suspect terrain may hinder this but it does look like getting the right cards is the key part, rather than the positioning.

Yeah my bad doesn't really make a difference rushed through it last night you just have 2 move the slops a tiny bit back and Aionus 2 the left and old major closer to the slop( I'll make another picture later).Either way old major can push the pigs up so they are just in range of the three bubbles ( aionus, crier, and old major). So not including the push from old major it's like (1.75+5+5+8+1=20.75) inches with his pushes your looking at a cap of about 23.8ish). Terrain can be an issue rarely but you only need a 4.5 x 6 inch non impassable terrain area which I mean most boards have.(doesn't have to be exact).

In terms of getting the full alpha we are looking at 87% & getting both warpigs is 94.5% if I go with the  choice of slop hauler 2x heal into old major fast 3x defensive if I don't have two 12+s. The go ulix + do over. (Cycling/drawing 20ish cards before summoning....that's a ton of cards)

Does this setup survive a Vik plopping down in the middle and whirlwinding three times turn one? I would assume that would not be great but is it viable in a game when you're forced to not bunch up? Do you have condition removal btw?

The reason why I ask is because requiring a very rigid strategy opens you up to counter plays.

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Does this setup survive a Vik plopping down in the middle and whirlwinding three times turn one? I would assume that would not be great but is it viable in a game when you're forced to not bunch up? Do you have condition removal btw?

The reason why I ask is because requiring a very rigid strategy opens you up to counter plays.

Yeah the viks could probably ruin this strat but that's what they do vs everyone..... they either shut down a key function of your crew or they fail and probably you win. Many other alphas don't really work well vs this (Molly for example does a bunch of aura damage that meris can help mitigate.) As all things this list can't work at an advantage vs every single list (otherwise it would be broken). The most challenging part is that reducing your masters health to 2 wounds would make it tough for him to survive if the alpha goes off before healing. (I think with standard deployment and playing as far back as possible the list would still be very playable but you need to deploy smart.) Also if you can summon without being left open to a turn one alpha then you have a huge stone advantage and the vik alpha becomes less of a problem if you have two war pigs with the potential to be deep into the rest of their crew. (Viks are not great at killing solo warpigs and at best take a whole activation to kill one.) So I think if any ulix list is gonna take games off of viks it would be one that makes more war pigs.

Also like @anumberone said ulix (and many summoners) is weak vs the heavy alpha early game regardless of build so more than anything it seems that summoners are somewhat designed with this weakness in mind. 

One other deterrent for viks is that I think they are just bad into somer because he can spread out/ tie up a vik with skeeters/ Dodge out with loudest squeel ect. So since that's the case and he is our best master I think I'll crash into Hamlin or Tara more often anyway (not that I want to see Hamlin but...that is what I'd expect.) 

What I like more than anything is that now I think there is a bit more to think about going into the game and I do think vs quite a few crews this ulix list is superior to Somer. Somer is still the best as the jack of all trades but having Ulix in the back pocket could be great.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have 4....but that's cus I have two metal, peaches, and a war rooster. Also I like playing a summon 2 turn one list so I like the flexibility of having an extra two for the following few turns. I might get a plastic one but that's more to be sure if I'm at a tournament I don't get screwed the one time I need it plus it's a cool model. 

• 1 month later...

I just read this because I just today gained interest in Ulix and I've got to say that this list looks amazing.

It totally fits my playstyle and I've got to try it! Thanks for such amazing listbuilding!

I also have to check if this works with swinecursed and something like a glowy reactivating rooster in a wong crew aswell.

Thanks. There are other ways of going about it without having to put 100% of your list toward summoning but of course then the engine loses some power. I just posted this other list on Alex’s YouTube video on Ulix (came out yesterday worth hearing his thoughts since he is one of the best players out there.)

Crew Name: Ulix 2 50ss 
Leader: Ulix - Cache:(4)
   Husbandry 3ss 
   Pig Midwife 1ss 
   Dirty Cheater 1ss 
Penelope 2ss 
Francois LaCroix 7ss 
   Stilts 1ss 
Old Major 9ss 
   Saddle 1ss 
Merris LaCroix 6ss 
   Do Over 1ss 
Burt Jebsen 7ss 
   Dirty Cheater 1ss 
Slop Hauler 5ss 
Lightning Bug 5ss 

I gave my much clearer rational there but basically it’s reasonable odds to get the pigs down (worse but different) but you also have franc and Burt to help your summoned pigs. The lightning bug replaces a slop because he increases the number of cards that get off a summon of a war pig from 9 to 11 and you still get to see 12 cards. Also there are another 9 cards in the deck that make him heal.

Personally I like the aionus list better because I think the synergy is there and I love it when stuff works so well together....but depending on the pressure your opponents list can place on you the list early in the game this list with franc and Burt can more easily retaliate.

• Like 1