New to Malifaux, Got me a question!

So I have the two player starter arriving today in the hopes The SO will latch on to the game, or at least be ok with me dropping dimes on the hobby. I have been out of miniature gaming for over a decade and love the lore behind Malifaux (Guild Ball piqued my interest as well, not gonna lie). Of course, the sculpts are gorgeous and have heard good things about Wyrd as well.

So my question is: Do the miniatures from the starter have playability in the current meta? If so, which factions/crews are ideal? 

Guild's half of the starter box is more esteemed than the Neverborn side, although the Neverborn bloodwretches will very rarely be seen as mercenaries in factions which can give them Fast, whereas the Guild models never are hired out of faction. I'm almost disappointed that the Guild orderlies are mercenaries because otherwise they'd see a surprising amount of use as proxies in Ressers, as intimidating nurses instead of skin-stockings-and-sticking-needles nurses. (The meta's pretty open-minded about proxies and conversions, but because you COULD hire them into Ressers as orderlies, they'll need obvious conversion work to clearly be a nurse and not an orderly.)

Dr. Grimwell is hired for style points, 'cause lobotomizing people is fun :D and we Guildies* don't otherwise get a 2AP massive damage attack. Nurse Heartsbane used to be disdained because she couldn't be certain of fulfilling the parameters of her triggers, but a new henchman called the Jury can guarantee her triggers for enemy lockdown--she might be re-evaluated. Orderlies are sturdy fast scheme runners on paper but I never have seen them do much but walk quickly. The kit suggests Sonnia, who just got a new upgrade which supports witch hunters as well as her crew's previous upgrade to make witch hunters a nuisance to casting crews. The medical crew also naturally shows up with McMourning for speed and style.

Angel Eyes' damage track is fine, but other long-range mercenaries offer additional benefits on their shots for just one or two 'stones more expensive. (Fortunately, she too makes a lovely base for Neverborn-flavored conversions when you decide which long-range attacker is for you.) The shame of the black blood brings condition removal without using AP which is unique in Malifaux and sometimes desperately necessary--you can shut down other condition removal models with Paralyze, but the scion will be able to function without it--but he does nothing else worth noting so you had better have a plan that requires condition removal! The bloodwretches' damage track on a charge is good for their cost and they have a card draw mechanic: as is they can either charge or prepare to draw cards, but give them Fast and they can do both. The kit suggests Lilith and she is solid, but if you want to optimize the bloodwretches I think you'd want either Dreamer or Collodi to give them Fast. (Caution: Neither of those boxes have a high soulstone value. You'll need to fill in with almost all of the Neverborn starter models to get up to 50ss standard size game, and even then you might be some stones short.)

*Go Guild! We know what's best for you. Yes, you. And you. And you skulking in the back there.