Titania and will o' wisps

Joachim

Hello guys,

tonight is the next game with titania, trying to prepare for an upcoming tournament (my first).

My cyclops will be arriving soon, so I'm excited about fielding them. This game I'm focussing on aeslin. 

I'm going to try this list:

Titania

- behold my glory

- audience with the queen

- fears given form

Gorar

Aeslin

Doppleganger

Rougarou

Tooth

waldgeist

Changeling

Wisp

Strat: headhunter

Schemes: quick murder, show of force, dig their graves, frame for murder

I have used Aeslin before and have liked her. Though the problem with titania is that aeslin needs scheme markers for everything she does, and scheme markers are a pretty valuable resource in her crew.

So the plan for this game is to try and make a crew that drops a lot of markers and see if that makes her work more. I'm not going extreme in this, I'm still going to build somewhat for strat and schemes etc.

I am trying wisps. I have used them with zoraida to great effect, but for different reasons, i.e. summoning the voodoo doll. I a also like their wisps call, depending on the targets in range. But I have never used for the scheme marker drop aura, mainly because it is only 3". However, titania can 1. make really good use out of those scheme marker and 2. has several ways of bringing the opponent closer, and therefore make it easier for the wisp to get into range. Is there anyone using the wisps for this scheme marker dropping, and if so, how do you position them? How are you making it happen?

For scheme marker dropping, i'm going for tooth, and rougarou as he just combos so well with him and I need some offense. Doppleganger is there cause she can copy tooths attack for rougarou abuse, and don't mind me is great in headhunter, though she can also go for wicked silence from aeslin if I really need a marker set up for rougarou heal or aeslin damage etc. Especially if i'm able to kill something with pounce abuse, the head will be close by anyway. changeling is there cause cheap activation, and I really like the model, but I haven't hired them yet, usually I summon them with the emissary. I guess his (0) can be good to go and pick up heads.

I realise that not having upgrades to contest show of force is a weakness, but I don't really feel like putting 2 upgrades on aeslin will be worth it.

The gorar is there cause I love the model, and he actually performed ok last time. He won't drop a head and he might be a distraction.

I played this game yesterday against @whodares and it was quite brutal. I made some important mistakes (one being that aeslins aura doesn't stop the opponent from obeying your models to walk, which could have been avoided, so I lost my waldgeist turn 1 for free). I was playing from behind the entire game cause my opponent capitalized well on my mistakes, and a funny moment was that a 10t brother cheated down his fears given form duel to score 2 points for frame for murder. I also played too greedily and activated my rougarou without thinking about the fears given form aura, I didn't have anything higher than a 7 in my hand after stoning for cards so he just died, well I won't make that mistake again, he was in position to challenge of the alpha 5 people next to titania, I just had to activate titania first and burn a scheme marker to push 2", oops.

The mvp in my team was the doppleganger, as although everything went south quickly, she was able to pick up heads everywhere and the game ended 6-9, which seeing that I gave away a waldgeist and a rougarou is pretty nice.

I was happy with what the wisp was able to do, and its a cheap activation so can't go wrong with that.

The gorar performed great, there was a building close to the center where he could hide. He even got to go aggressive late in the game.

One question: Curse of autumn gives the enemy slow when engaged and failing a wp duel. I thought you generate ap before anything else, and so if you gain slow it would apply on the next activation in stead of immediately? We played it as losing an ap immediately, though that kinda makes the gorars ability useless as the opponent never has slow on it. Does anyone know what the correct order is here?

23 minutes ago, Joachim said:

One question: Curse of autumn gives the enemy slow when engaged and failing a wp duel. I thought you generate ap before anything else, and so if you gain slow it would apply on the next activation in stead of immediately? We played it as losing an ap immediately, though that kinda makes the gorars ability useless as the opponent never has slow on it. Does anyone know what the correct order is here?

Start of activation effects go before you generate ap. Slow lasts until the end of your activation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Joachim said:

Ok, so that's extremely bad design on the gorar then.

I don't suppose there's an upgrade for fae or some attack that slows?

I think wisps, alps and Coppelius can give slow with attacks. Maybe other neverborn as well. Pretty handy against summoners if nothing else, it is just a totem after all.

Only aeslin hands out slow on a not build-in trigger, and the opponent can choose to discard a card instead, so easily avoidable if he wants to.

The wisp slow is irrelevant, cause you need a suit and it is ca4. I don't see any point in running coppelius with titania. 

I mean, you're not taking gorar for that paralysis action, but it is there because most of her crew box has curse of autumn to hand out slow. It just seems like bad design that what looks like it should have interacted nicely has no synergy at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joachim said:

Only aeslin hands out slow on a not build-in trigger, and the opponent can choose to discard a card instead, so easily avoidable if he wants to.

The wisp slow is irrelevant, cause you need a suit and it is ca4. I don't see any point in running coppelius with titania. 

I mean, you're not taking gorar for that paralysis action, but it is there because most of her crew box has curse of autumn to hand out slow. It just seems like bad design that what looks like it should have interacted nicely has no synergy at all.

If you're saying the wisp slow is irrelevant because Ca 4, then so is the Gorar's paralyze.

But you can also paralyze models that get summoned in, or off of the Cyclops' Frozen Runes.

I would be surprised if both the designers and testers missed such an obvious thing. I guess it could be a leftover from when the crew functioned differently in some early test, it could also be an attempt at an anti-summoning attack since there were a lot of summoners in that wave.

The autumn Knights all give out slow if a model is engaged with them (the enemy does a wp  flip) it's a front of the card ability.

Also cyclops can hand it out with no resist if you get lucky with their runes.

also is it confirmed in rules about Aeslin not stopping lure? We've been playing that it does.

"Until the end of the turn friendly models within 6" may not be moved, pushed, or placed by the Actions, Abilities, or Triggers of enemy models."

12 hours ago, Joachim said:

Targeting summoned models is indeed a threat for the opponent. I mean, it's ok, you don't use it that often, but it just bothers me a bit that it doesnt work with anything in the crew box. 

I know the feeling. Reminds me of Mei Feng's and Sonnia's totems who don't seem to synergise nearly as well as those of some others. McCabe has Luna who is mostly good if you bring hounds and he doesn't have hounds in his box. I would say the resummon mechanic is pretty strong as far as 3ss models go. You just need Titania up there so no one can attack the gorar.

I really like waldgiest with Titania which is another slow option but they are mainly there for 4" engagement and summoning cover.

I look forward to running them with her new emissary and upgrade, especially if taproot is in play.

I think waldgiest, kade, wisps, alps, Coppelius and Aeslin are your only options.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:25 AM, Joachim said:

Ok, so that's extremely bad design on the gorar then.

yes, yes it is. The gorar always feels very underwhelming, I'm often left wondering what to do with it besides stalling activation order and sitting around. Don't work too hard to try to make this model any good, it's not really worth it.

Wisps are interesting with titania: if you manage to live the dream with an enemy drawn into the middle of T and a wisp you can pop out a lot of scheme markers. Often enough though that doesn't happen, but I still really like using them prevent charges. Controlling the enemy's ability to move and attack is key with titania. And for only 3 stones that ends up being a very cheap way to mess with opponents' plans

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joachim said:

I must say that the last game the gorar did really well, it's just 3 stones, and it's a good deterrant for targeting your minions. I don't think he's great but he performs better than expected. 

i agree. anytime i am running titania and need to keep a minion around for one reason or another i always take it. plus its a nice change of pace from the usual puke snake.

circling the discussion of gorar back to the original subject, I really don't think the gorar is worth the points. However, that 3 stones is very well spent with will 'o wisps. You get an annoying little dude that, while insignificant is still a minion, and can control enemy agro. I always feel like like I'm getting more than my 3 stones' worth out of a wisp, both from it's passive abilities [and just existing] as well as it's actions. The gorar however has always felt like I was just burning an activation.

A.P. wins games, so the better quality my a.p. can be the better I'm going to do. Wisps give me a.p. of a higher quality than I wold expect out of a 3 stone minion. Especially if you have some fun [2]s to copy, then you're getting massively higher quality a.p.

Look at it this way: when thing start to die the gorar can bring them back, but if things don't die, it does next to nothing. Basically I don't like perks that require something to be going wrong to be useful, I'd rather they just work.

8 hours ago, Sharp_GT said:

circling the discussion of gorar back to the original subject, I really don't think the gorar is worth the points. However, that 3 stones is very well spent with will 'o wisps. You get an annoying little dude that, while insignificant is still a minion, and can control enemy agro. I always feel like like I'm getting more than my 3 stones' worth out of a wisp, both from it's passive abilities [and just existing] as well as it's actions. The gorar however has always felt like I was just burning an activation.

A.P. wins games, so the better quality my a.p. can be the better I'm going to do. Wisps give me a.p. of a higher quality than I wold expect out of a 3 stone minion. Especially if you have some fun [2]s to copy, then you're getting massively higher quality a.p.

Look at it this way: when thing start to die the gorar can bring them back, but if things don't die, it does next to nothing. Basically I don't like perks that require something to be going wrong to be useful, I'd rather they just work.

It depends on what you're running. I have rougarou tooth several times. They are a huge threat, but if you can kill one of them that threat is reduced significantly. 

I don't take the gorar to have something extra when things go bad. He allows your minions to be more aggressive. 

I for example saw an opening turn 3 to double walk rougarou and (0) 5 models, as well as pull them into titanias fgf range. 

Gorar was alive so if the opponents wants to go for the rougarou he essentially kills gorar, gives rougarou another activation on 1ap and repositions rougarou, which is highly inefficient. 

Gorar essentially makes your opponent take decisions. Go for the gorar? Ignore the threat of your minions? Go for the minion and take out gorar that way? 

The success in using him relies on how well you can protect him and how much of a threat your minions pose.