Ironsides... Ugh

Paddywhack

Man, Ironsides is a real pain to face. Her new 8 inch aura of 'nope' is just brutal. Not sure how that made it through testing as is. She is really good supporting MS&U as well. :+fateto attacks and damage negate any protection cover might offer from the gun line. It was just brutal. 

Now, I also built my crew thinking I may face Rasputina, so that didn't help, and it was Collect the bounty which played to her strengths, but that was one of the toughest games I've played in a while. Just felt uphill the whole way. 

As quite an avid Ironsides player - what was the matchup? What Master did you play against her, and vague lists? Her new toys make her quite a pain to deal with - were you outactivating her? Focus firing her models when you could? You mention her + flips negating cover - did she damage her models herself?

She's really a solid master with her new upgrades, but there is a lot of ways to try and take out her key pieces.

I'd be more than happy to help out against her for future matchups, but I'll need some more information.

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Man, Ironsides is a real pain to face. Her new 8 inch aura of 'nope' is just brutal. Not sure how that made it through testing as is. She is really good supporting MS&U as well. :+fateto attacks and damage negate any protection cover might offer from the gun line. It was just brutal. 

That aura has been around since book one (on Barbaros). For the aura to be useful, Ironsides needs to activate early in the turn which means she's not going to be healing until next turn.

If you are running Ressers against her she's not a big fan of Decaying Aura. Ca and Sh attacks avoid the attack from her Df trigger. Hand Picked Men requires LoS and so do the effects from Warding Runes. 

Summon hanged to prevent healing. Summon a couple of the those melee  resilient dudes to engage her, keep away with the rest and use belles to lure both your models and their models away from where Ironsides wants them so you can kill them without pesky  auras.

(edited for idiot auto corrects)

• Like 1

The emmissary can use its pillars to block los for warding runes. Anna lovelace can weaken her mobility and even if forced into melee can target wp. She loves to move forward so killjoy is easy to drop on her and his black blood punishes the retribution hit then he can heal mid activation too. The students or valedictorian can lecture notes her triggers away, shutting her down.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WWHSD said:

That aura has been around since book one (on Barbaros). For the aura to be useful, Ironsides needs to activate early in the turn which means she's not going to be healing until next turn.

No, this is the brand new upgrade from the new book. It's a 0 action, no TN or flip needed. 8" Aura that means any model targeting any model other than Ironsides must take a WP14 test or the action fails. It's a huge area of the board and yes, I have a lot of terrain on the table, maybe too much sometimes. I just wasn't expecting a gun line with such good support. Her bonuses to MS&U create a tough gun line to get through (and yes, he used his own models to deal 1 dmg to key models). He also had 2 relic hammers to beat to death anything that tried to get close.

It was a bad match up for me as I was worried he'd take Rasputina and armour. And my cover, which I hoped to use to get close, was useless against furious casting mages with :+fate to attack and dmg and a built in trigger to push my models out of cover to really blast them. 

It was just a rough game and I'm going to have to think how to deal with her as this was my first match against her. I also couldn't get Yan Lo built up as he was able to keep pushing my models out of LOS before killing them. If the old man had been abel to get beefed up earlier I could have laid some hurt on him.

I also took Claim Jump again - I never do well on that scheme so I don't know why I think I'll keep trying it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paddywhack said:

No, this is the brand new upgrade from the new book. It's a 0 action, no TN or flip needed. 8" Aura that means any model targeting any model other than Ironsides must take a WP14 test or the action fails. It's a huge area of the board and yes, I have a lot of terrain on the table, maybe too much sometimes. . 

It's a new action for Ironsides. Barbaros has had that same Tactical Action since book one.

38 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

If Ironsides makes a clump I bet Molly will have a field day with black blood summons too.

Challenge auras being auras also makes them relatively easy to block when on a ht2 30mm.

Yeah, if I had known he was taking Ironsides I would have planned differently, but since you don't know when building crews it was hard. I'm also not sure how well Molly would have stood up to the gun line having to get that close to summon. 

Ressers are usually a bit more flexible than other factions because of the ability to summon what you need with at least some of their masters. 

I usually severely outshoot my friend but his Molly lists always out-activate me so that Sybelle can place Molly up after everything has gone and then she summons a bunch of stuff turn one to tie my stuff down. You could also start with belles and lure one model at a time.

I've heard of similar builds with Sandeep and mages. They're really annoying.

A belle is a cheap contingency for any list that needs careful positioning and can usually find a job in any game.

Sebastian is rarely found outside of McMourning but his action Under cover actually gives a :-fate that isn't cover to all :ranged which I've used to counter shooting in guild by having that up near models in cover. That puts hand picked men back down to a negative. If you also have anything to put a little poison out it will wreck armoured targets and poison ticking again on activation can put an end to Joss reactivating so against arcanists he can counter several anticipated targets.

If you take ludvig's advice and use sebastian then it might be worthwhile to consider Shikome. Shikome love poison and they can also target wp if the target has adversary, which they can hand out with a ranged cast that targets DF, which is only 5 for ironsides so easy to do. Izamu can take advantage of adversary too and so will anything you give armor with yan lo.

Sloth is a powerful choice against Ironsides, though his damage output is low his melee does not trigger adrenaline, his aura punishes Ironsides for activating near him whilst hard to wound and the risk of ending her activation after 1ap makes it difficult for ironsides to hurt him.

Sun Quiang and Komainu from Ten Thunders can be taken by Yan Lo and both can attack ironsides without triggering your shot my turn. Sun can give out adversary whilst the Komainu gives you another model that benefits from it.

17 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I've heard of similar builds with Sandeep and mages. They're really annoying.

A belle is a cheap contingency for any list that needs careful positioning and can usually find a job in any game.

Sebastian is rarely found outside of McMourning but his action Under cover actually gives a :-fate that isn't cover to all :ranged which I've used to counter shooting in guild by having that up near models in cover. That puts hand picked men back down to a negative. If you also have anything to put a little poison out it will wreck armoured targets and poison ticking again on activation can put an end to Joss reactivating so against arcanists he can counter several anticipated targets.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Sebastian. I should have taken him. Have a game against Outcasts tomorrow. Bringing him for sure.

• Like 1