good one-shots to string together?

Kyris

Hey, so I'm looking to start running a few campaigns for a few different groups, and I'll be honest here - I'm kind of shit at coming up with my own campaigns and plot threads. So I'm wondering, what are some of the better one-shots to string together to turn them into a full campaign? I know there are some penny dreadfuls that already *are* full campaigns, and I already bought defense of innocence and nythera, but I'd like to have a few more options.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, CrazyCatLadeh said:

I'm stringing a bunch of one shots together so that we can get the hang of the game before starting a longer adventure. A lot of the free downloaded one-shots provide Fate ties, and so I used those to start helping with which ones I'd like to bring together for my players first steps. That method might help!

This is what I plan to do if our group can meet regularly. I started with one chronicles one-shot, but one of the players had to leave after the first session, while our other player was able to join in at that point, and we had only just gotten started with the combat. Someone suggested it was a flashback for the 2 players, which sounded good and allowed them off the hook - they didn't lose the combat but didn't complete the investigation. This made it easy to write the players in and out, where the one Fated would leave the party after the combat, and the new Fated would be hired by the party to help out the next mission.

I gave them the option to either pick up the investigation some time later, where I would extrapolate on what was pre-written and where the adventure would be several days later - i.e. where would the bad guy be now and what would they be/have been doing, since the Fated found the hideout but didn't located the bad guy. They opted to start fresh, so I started the next session with them retelling that story to the 'new' party member in the tea house where the new one-shot kicks off.  

Stringing together one-shots seems to be pretty easy, depending on your game type and characters of course, since it can be like TV shows' 'Monster of the week' type format. Approaching it that way means you can take things or leave them as the Fated move through those one-shots, and you could inject a larger arc almost at any point, either through expanding on something that happens in one of those one-shots or just in between them have a scenario that kicks off the campaign. You could still throw one-shots in there to break things up a bit (or stall while reacting to something that happens in the campaign). Running a few of these until you work out a longer arc is what I plan to do. That said, things are already looking grim for the Fated in the beginning of this 'first' one-shot....

• Like 2