Who/What are the Fae?

Da Git

Ok, I had a bit of an epiphany today and realised that Titania is by far the most inclusive master in the game! Looking at all the Fae models, we've got so far:

Titania - winged humanoid/angel

Aeslin & the Autumn knights - humanoids wrapped in trees

The Gorar - snake

Rougarou - whopping great wolf

Bandersnatch - a sneaky-ass shadow hopping death-spider!

Cyclopse - huge one-eyed (who saw that coming!) hulk-like humanoids

Bultungin - were-hyenas

A pretty disparate bunch really.  It seems the Fae are a big conglomerate of different species that have banded together under Titania's leadership, especially now that one of her upgrades turns other models into Fae.  So my question is, what makes a Fae, a Fae?  In book 4 Titania mentioned that the Fae had a strong soul and while the humans was a guttering flame in comparison, the Neverborn's were kind of similar.  So do all of these creatures share that same essence?  Is it imparted on the new recruits when they do the letting stone thing?  Or does the "Fae" title really just include the humanoid Court and then the others are more second-class citizens (and then the non-humanoid Fae are vermin (humans) or servants in need of heeling (Neverborn))?

Also, as mentioned in the wish-list thread, hoping we see the tattoo'd Fae on the cover of Book 4 one day!  It would be nice to see the other Fae that were buried with her besides her generals & puppies!

I don't think the Fae are "multiple species" or anything like that, but are closer to the old magic. Neverborn lore has them taking on forms of human nightmares and such. Nephilim are weakened from the wars of the past, and probably are more straight forward than they used to be, but the Fae are old. They were around at the height of magic, and likely were a lot more adaptable as a result. "Faerie tales" are likely heavily influenced by fae after all.

Also, Titania created the knights out of other things, so I'd say it's a heavy dose of magic suiting form to purpose. That's true of a lot of Neverborn, even Lilith was able to change her form to better suit her wishes, though in her case it doesn't seem too easy or casual.

4 hours ago, Da Git said:

Also how flippin' powerful is Titania?!  The Bultungin were wiped out millennia ago and Titania restores their fossilised bones to LIFE! Undead I could understand, but these guys are LIVING. 

Arguably, she might have created them in the first place, so raising a few from the dead as living rather than undead wouldn't be that much of a stretch :)

4 hours ago, Da Git said:

Also how flippin' powerful is Titania?!

Powerful enough to catch Zoraida off guard with a spell the swamp witch didn't expect her to know.

She's not anywhere near the height of her power when she shattered the physical forms of the Tyrants, but she's still a very, very powerful lady.

• Like 4

In most mythos Fae or Fae like beings are or can be shape shifters of one kind or another.

Lucius suggested in one of the books that the form of all neverborn is distorted and cannot be captured by a struggling artist he's about to replace or do away with.

My personal take on Titanias arrival story was that she likened the Fae most to the mimics but others disagreed and suggested her reference was to all neverborn.

To me mimics would make sense especially since "changelings" are mimics but the term is attributed to creatures the "Fae" replaced human children with when they stole someone's child to raise in their court.

The Fae in one of the chronicles (I forget her name the one with the whips and the pig tails) refers to the Fae as traditionally having redhair.

This tends to make me assume the human like Fae are the court and other forms are recruited or enslaved lesser "fairy folk".

52 minutes ago, Vorschlag said:

In most mythos Fae or Fae like beings are or can be shape shifters of one kind or another.

Lucius suggested in one of the books that the form of all neverborn is distorted and cannot be captured by a struggling artist he's about to replace or do away with.

My personal take on Titanias arrival story was that she likened the Fae most to the mimics but others disagreed and suggested her reference was to all neverborn.

To me mimics would make sense especially since "changelings" are mimics but the term is attributed to creatures the "Fae" replaced human children with when they stole someone's child to raise in their court.

The Fae in one of the chronicles (I forget her name the one with the whips and the pig tails) refers to the Fae as traditionally having redhair.

This tends to make me assume the human like Fae are the court and other forms are recruited or enslaved lesser "fairy folk".

Both mimics and nephilim are decedents of the fae. Their respective powers to change appearance are a result of the latent energies in the world after the defeat of the Tyrants though, rather than an inherited trait.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mason said:

Powerful enough to catch Zoraida off guard with a spell the swamp witch didn't expect her to know.

She's not anywhere near the height of her power when she shattered the physical forms of the Tyrants, but she's still a very, very powerful lady.

To me, that one didn't actually seem like a boost to Titania's power but Zoraida underestimating her.  Mama Z has been the only one manipulating Fate that (in my mind at least) she didn't think that she might suddenly have competition.  If Zoraida can cast that spell, then power-wise, so should a fair few other masters provided they have the skill and knowledge.  There was no reason to assume that Titania, as queen of the Fae, the origins of the Neverborn, wouldn't have that knowledge.  Hell, the Fae could have been the ones to create the magic that Mama Z uses. 

A bit off-topic (I started this thread, so nya!), but another question is who or what is Fate?  In the Shifting Loyalties Neverborn story; Master of Fate, the Trio talk of Fate as a living thing...

From Zoraida:

Fate, I am doing what you asked of me. Do not ask any more, I beg you.

Fate, you have known this all along, and you have brought me here to see it. Truly, I curse you to the darkest depths of hell.

and from Pandora:

Fate chose well when it picked you.

This is going to be very much clutching at straws here, but is Fate a Fae?  Looking at the words, there's only one letter different... Like I said, Straws!

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

A bit off-topic (I started this thread, so nya!), but another question is who or what is Fate?  In the Shifting Loyalties Neverborn story; Master of Fate, the Trio talk of Fate as a living thing...

This is going to be very much clutching at straws here, but is Fate a Fae?  Looking at the words, there's only one letter different... Like I said, Straws!

That's just a bit of personification is all.

"Monday is really kicking my ass today..."

• 1 month later...