Hazardous Terrain vs Neverborn

bedjy

Hi all,

I've been playing a game lately with a nice Neverborn table with some big mushrooms on it. One of them is considered to be a Hazardous Terrain. There was a big mushroom with Ht 3 quite close to it and my opponent took Zoraida.

On turn 3, most of my models have died to a an angry voodoo doll... He just summoned the totem on top of the Ht 3 mushroom, linked it to one of my model (Ca 7 with 2 tries...), jumped for 3 damage and ran into the mushroom for another 4 damages (yes, the 5 times that happened i flipped max damages...).

Do you guys use some Hazardous Terrain at home ? In tournament ? How do you handle that kind of situation ?

We are usually pretty bad at using hazardous terrain at my club. The few times we have it I usually stay well away from that terrain piece.

Neverborn have their emissary and there are a few resser model who interact with hazardous terrain. Against Zoraida it's very handy to have condition removal and try to block LoS or stay a bit away if the doll has that kind of spot.

I just generally have an agreement that the game is played on a flat surface. I think the height rules don't add much to the game. That helps with the whole suicide jumping voodoo doll tactic (although do bear in mind that the amount of damage a model with Sewn Fate suffers can't exceed the number of wounds the Voodoo Doll has left, so if the doll takes 4 damage but only has 1 wound left, the Sewn Fate model takes 1 damage). It also sounds like you may be forgetting that summoned models start with the Slow condition?

As for Hazardous terrain, I really like it but I find it's not usually represented among the standard game store type terrain. Some of my favourite moments have been when things (inevitably my models) have been killed by being pushed into cactuses.

One thing I've been doing recently is making some or most severe terrain into Hazardous 0/1/2 instead. That way I think it makes for a slightly more interesting choice, rather than simply comparing whether going through or around the terrain will be faster, it has you compare the risk of taking damage to getting where you'd like to be more slowly.

• Like 4

On 20/09/2017 at 8:12 AM, bedjy said:

Hi all,

I've been playing a game lately with a nice Neverborn table with some big mushrooms on it. One of them is considered to be a Hazardous Terrain. There was a big mushroom with Ht 3 quite close to it and my opponent took Zoraida.

On turn 3, most of my models have died to a an angry voodoo doll... He just summoned the totem on top of the Ht 3 mushroom, linked it to one of my model (Ca 7 with 2 tries...), jumped for 3 damage and ran into the mushroom for another 4 damages (yes, the 5 times that happened i flipped max damages...).

Do you guys use some Hazardous Terrain at home ? In tournament ? How do you handle that kind of situation ?

If my opponents master is only doing 6 damage to me with 2 AP, then I'm generally happy.  Hem does not have that long a range, so fragile models can just avoid a small section of the board around the mushroom. 

Also the voodoo doll is slow when summoned , so if you fail the summon Hem, then if it uses its activation to hem, it can't walk. 

Even with Wisps, at most this trick can do 30 damage to your crew by turn 3, with winning all the Hem duels and you placing your models badly and you flipping severe all the time. 

If you feel this combination is to strong, then don't put a Ht3 terrain piece within 3" of Hazardous terrain. Youyr opponent could do one or the otehr (falling or Hazadous damage) to you still but not both. 

8 hours ago, Kaptain_Konrad said:

We have a blast marker in the middle that is hazardous. So it's small enough to not be oppressive, but in an area where it has seen usage and used well. It's helped make the games more fun and aware for us.

I might need to sculpt a few tiny swamps with gators. Using markers is clever!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...